Health & Exercise
Options

Ab work (while pregnant)

Any suggestions for ab workouts since you can't do crunches anymore?  Or am I being too cautious?  The packet my ob's office gave said to avoid them/any exercises laying on your back after the first trimester...

TIA

Re: Ab work (while pregnant)

• Options
    My doc said I could do anything I did before but to modify back exercises.My friend did crunches on the ball.   I did pilates on the reformer the entire time.  I bounced back within weeks of having my baby.  I was back in my pants 14 days PP I think it was because I had such a strong core. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Just an FYI- if you had strong abs before you got preg and probably if you keep doing those exercises now, your bump won't be noticeable for some time. Mine wasn't really out there until after 25 weeks and I stopped doing ab exercises after 1st tri. So if you're anxious to "show," don't do ab exercises.

I have the Summer Sanders prenatal workout video and she's still doing ab exercises in the 3rd trimester. You might want to check it out. I know at least the 2nd and 3rd tri exercises have been good (although I only got the DVD when I was 32 weeks)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Definitely depends on how much you did before getting preggo.

I am 22 weeks and I still do abs but now since I am getting out there with the belly I use a birthing ball to lay on and help me with my back.

I never stopped doing my abs or even my cardio, I just switched from running to the elliptical to avoid the high impact. I have been showing since 9 weeks and have gained all but 1lb up to date. I use to weight 110lbs before and now I am a whopping 111lbs and 4'11''.

• Options
    imageyeshuahamasshiah:

Definitely depends on how much you did before getting preggo.

I am 22 weeks and I still do abs but now since I am getting out there with the belly I use a birthing ball to lay on and help me with my back.

I never stopped doing my abs or even my cardio, I just switched from running to the elliptical to avoid the high impact. I have been showing since 9 weeks and have gained all but 1lb up to date. I use to weight 110lbs before and now I am a whopping 111lbs and 4'11''.

Most of this. I disagree with PP before her who said your abs won't show if you have fab abs prepregnancy. I had great abs and if you're small like me (5 feet) your belly could very well be sticking out by 14 weeks. No two mamas are alike.

Back to this other poster's comments. There is no reason you can't do abs, unless you have some pre-existing problem. If your doctor is telling you that, he/she is using outdated information from 1997 or so. 

I ran until 25 weeks when it got too uncomfortable, did yoga up until 34 weeks or so, abs the whole time, was lifting weights hours before labor.

I did cut back and didn't lift dumb bells over 30# after 20 weeks but kept with machines over that amount. I also didn't do major twisting in yoga, and after 20 weeks I didn't lie on my tummy or my back in abs. You can do it on a ball or an incline.

If you feel your abs separating (in third tri), you will need to modify and do abs with a towel or a band supporting you (hold it behind you and with both hands, if that makes sense).Mine never separated and I had a huge baby last time.

Good luck!

• Options

Plank is great - get in a high push-up position and hold it while drawing your belly button to your sping. you can also do the similar ab strengthener on your forearms.

I continue to do many of my pre-preg ab exercises with the exception of crunches.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"