South Florida Babies

Swimming lessons

When did you/planning on putting your child in swimming lessons?

I think learning to swim is so important. This became even more evident to me when my cousin's 2 year old daughter passed away after drowing in a pool last summer. The whole entire family was and still is heartbroken. I never brought it up here because it hurts to much to think about. I know that this could have been prevented so in so many different ways.

I am not a fan of those arm swimmers (not sure what they are called) or those bathing suits that help a baby float. I personally think they give kids a false sense of security. If they happen to fall in a pool, they won't have those things to depend on. Or they might not realize they can't float without them and just jump in the pool. So, I don't plan on using these. I thought I would put Nico in swimming classes next summer, after he learns how to walk. But I'm wondering if I should do it now instead. What are your opinions?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Swimming lessons

• I plan on starting swimming lessons as soon as the baby is old enough, especially since my IL's have a pool and we go over often enough that I wouldn't want to take any risks
  • I found this article this weekend when I was looking for more info on whether I could take Emma in the pool already:

https://www.babycenter.com/408_when-can-my-baby-take-swimming-lessons_1368527.bc

I'm not planning on doing anything formal this summer because I think she's still too little for it to make much of a difference, but maybe I'll look into a "mommy and me" type program next summer when she'll be one and a half.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My niece was in swim lessons at around her 2nd birthday. I couldn't agree more with your reasoning for not using the floaties.

And I'm so sorry about what happened to your cousin's daughter. I cannot imagine how heartbreaking that must have been.

imageimage

Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm very sorry for your family's loss.  That is one of my biggest fears, too, now that we have a pool and a canal in our backyard.

I want to start as early as possible, maybe not with formal lessons at first, but definitely putting them in the pool, getting them used to the water and showing them the basics.  I am also not a fan of the arm floaties or other devices b/c I do feel like it becomes a crutch for them and they never learn how to properly swim.  I never used those and I remember that other kids who still wore them by 8 or 9 never really learned how to properly swim without them.

• I put alexis is lessons last summer and she did not do well, but I thought the instructor was awful.  I'm looking now for something better.

I used to teach swimming in college and was red cross certified, they strongly discouraged those swimmies for the reasons you mentioned and also because they give parents a false sense of security.  

I'm looking very carefully for classes because there are some that teach by fear - just throwing a kid in and seeing what they do, believing that instinct will kick in.  I refuse to do that and if you ever see an instructor or a school who teaches that way - go somewhere else.  That's not what i was taught in my certification classes at all!! 

image image

• First of all, I'm so sorry for your loss.  I'm sure that was very devastating for the family.  :::hugs:::

I've heard of swim lessons starting as early as 6 mo!  I think it just teaches children to hold their breath under water.  Last yr nephew took some lessons at 1.5 yrs old and they taught him to hold breath, and kick.  I think at about 2 yrs old is when they actually learn to swim.  GL

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thank you so much!

Ok- so I think I will stick to my original plan of starting lessons next summer. He will be close to 2 then. I didn't know that there were different kinds of lessons, so thanks Leanna for that tip!

• imageMrsLeanna:

I put alexis is lessons last summer and she did not do well, but I thought the instructor was awful.  I'm looking now for something better.

I used to teach swimming in college and was red cross certified, they strongly discouraged those swimmies for the reasons you mentioned and also because they give parents a false sense of security.  

I'm looking very carefully for classes because there are some that teach by fear - just throwing a kid in and seeing what they do, believing that instinct will kick in.  I refuse to do that and if you ever see an instructor or a school who teaches that way - go somewhere else.  That's not what i was taught in my certification classes at all!! 

That sounds scary!  What's the point of paying someone to do that!  Thanks for the heads up.

• the local swim school here is very known and they start at 3 months.

One thing to keep in mind that unless you are practicing all year long, every single day, these classes are not going to help your child in the long run. Praticing everyday is what really teaches them, not just taking a class.

• imageVandRicky:

One thing to keep in mind that unless you are practicing all year long, every single day, these classes are not going to help your child in the long run. Praticing everyday is what really teaches them, not just taking a class.

True. But I'm not expecting him to learn and remember how to swim the length of the pool at an early age. I just want him to learn emergency skills. Isn't that what they teach the younger kids at swimming- jump/fall into a pool and move straight to the wall and hold on? And just because you think your child can do this, does not mean you can take your eyes off your kid for even one minute when there is a pool around. But who knows, maybe if my cousin's baby would have known how to do that, she would still be here today :(
  • this summer, she just turned 2. i think last year would have been a waste, she didn't retain or follow instruction then!
  • You might want to look into ISR classes?  It is an infant swim class that teachs the child not necessarily to swim but to survive if they fall in.  Both my kids have been in lessons and honestly are not great swimmers yet, but they can get to the side if they fall in.  Not sure if you can post a link here but here it is.. https://www.infantswim.com/ THere are a ton of places.. Just put in your zip code.

I have MANY friends that have their 1 and 2 yr olds in ISR classes and they flip right over and get to the side.

My gf lost her 18 month old in her pool (someone left the gate open) with a house full of people (everyone thought the other was watching him).  It only took a second and it was the most heartbreaking funeral. My son was the same age. :(

• Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to hear about your cousin.  What a tragedy.  I'm so so sorry.  I cannot imagine your and your family's pain.

About the swimming lessons, we were sort of freaked out about the possibility of a tragedy (since we have a pool), and with our first, we put him in survival swim lessons at 6 months with ISR (Infant Swim Resource), as soon as he learned to crawl.  It was a 6 week (5 days/week) program, and it worked.  He learned to flip and float on his back and to call for us.  But he hated it.  Screamed and cried.  And it broke my heart (although the instructor was really really patient and kind, it just was hard for him).  So even though we completed it with him, we did not enroll our daughter.  And we haven't given either of them formal swim lessons since then.  My son is now 3 and will be getting swim lessons this summer at school, and I will also enroll my daughter in their mommy & me swim class.  The ISR was too intense for him at such a young age (although other babies there did not scream like my son, so maybe it was just his personality), in hindsight, although it did work.

Tania

• PS: Just to add about the ISR course, I was at poolside and the instructor was in the pool with my son the whole time and comforted him, picking him up after every flip and hugging him, and my son was never thrown into the pool by himself, even at the end--the instructor was always right there.  Just a point of clarification b/c I have had people ask me that about ISR (their videos can seem misleading and seem to show kids alone in the pool, which never happens).
  • I enrolled Mikey last summer at 1 year old with The British Swim School. They have several locations but IMO he was too young last summer. I am going to attempt again this summer.
    ~~Givette~~ Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Zachary turns in November, so I'm going to wait until the following summer. I do not think he will be ready this summer, he doesn't really follow directions well or retain information yet at 17 months yet so being 2.5 will be better for him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

• I am so sorry about your family's loss. :*( I can't imagine how heart breaking that must be.

I was going to enroll L last year in swimm lessons but it never worked out and I guess it was a good thing. We did go to the pool often (I used the vest floaty thing - not the arms - but it's interesting about the sense of false security) and he learned to kick, but that's about it. This summer, I want to put him in classes. I was looking at SwimGym since they're close by. I was going to go to MDC but I haven't heard good things about them for swimming and little ones. But we also want him to know basic "swimming" to prevent tragedy. 

• imagecocojack10:

First of all, I'm so sorry for your loss.  I'm sure that was very devastating for the family.  :::hugs:::

I've heard of swim lessons starting as early as 6 mo!  I think it just teaches children to hold their breath under water.  Last yr nephew took some lessons at 1.5 yrs old and they taught him to hold breath, and kick.  I think at about 2 yrs old is when they actually learn to swim.  GL

Ditto, this is what I heard as well.

I am very sorry for your loss! The best thing you can do is teach him how to swim. My mom's cousin drowned at the beach when they were little so my grandma decided, out of fear, not to teach my mom how to swim (which, with all do respect, I think its dumb. It makes no sense at all). My mom does not swim very well and she had to learn how to do it as an adult (when she was already married.) She always complains to my grandma about it.

• Thank you all for your kind words!!! Please be safe with your babies anytime there is a pool around. It only takes a minute for your life to be changed forever.

• AlbahAlbah member
    So sorry for your family's loss, it must be so tough to deal with such a situation. I agree that teaching the little ones how to swim early, especially in a city where we are surrounded by water! We need to start to think about this as well. E will turn 2 in August, but I am also due that month so I don't know how feasible it will be to start classes at that time. We may have to wait a bit more.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I plan on putting Mikey in lessons as soon as we get back from our cruise. Big Smile
  • My prayers are with your family!  That cannot be easy to ever recover from.  DS is only 10 weeks now and a family friend was asking me when I was putting him in classes.  She said she put all her kids (four of them) in swim classes by three months.  Apparently the have an instinct to swim the first few months.  I have to do some research, but I think your little man may be ready.
  • First, Jess, I'm sorry for your loss.  ::hugs:: Second, I do believe that the ISR classes help kids.  Now, I enrolled Izzy in our local swimming class b/c its more for mommy/daddy & me time.  Since I don't know many neighbors in my area with little kids, I thought this was a great way to meet other parents.  I don't expect her to learn to swim but I would like her to get use to the water.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"