North Carolina Babies

healthy foods w/ high calories...

I know I should not be worried about Nic's weight since my dr is not but yesterday right before his bath he looked too skinny.  He has always been small but I think the last two months have really taken a toll on his little body.  He has been sick on and off for 2 months straight and when he gets a fever (which has been a ton) he doesn't eat.  So what can I add to his diet that is high in calorie but healthy?  TIA!

Re: healthy foods w/ high calories...

• We are still trying to calorie load Scott to some degree since he is still really small for his age from being a preemie.  I put olive oil in things he eats--coat pasta in it, add it to vegetables when cooking them, etc.  We also try and give him dairy products made from whole milk--yogurt, and cheeses (no low fat kinds).  We also give him french toast sticks in the morning which aren't necessarily healthy but give him a calorie boost for the day.  :)  We try to take advantage of times of the day he is really hungry which is usually about 4:30/5 pm until bed time.  We give him a snack at 5 and let him each almost as much as he wants, do dinner around 6:30pm, and then we'll offer a snack before we go upstairs to get ready for bed.  Sometimes he's a bottomless pit in the afternoons/evenings so we let him fill up!
    Kim

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • will he eat avocado? this site says a medium one has 276 calories.

https://caloriecount.about.com/calories-avocado-i69480

I can't imagine a toddler wanting to eat a whole one..

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • avacado is high in fat but its good fat!  peanut butter, cheese, whole grains, yogurt, protein ( i feel like i read somewhere that you should try and have a decent ammount of protein at every meal to help gain weight but i'm not positive), fruits are higher calorie then veggies, pasta/potatoes, hope that helps!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • thanks for the advice...I think I'll be loading up every piece of toast with peanut butter.
  • What about tofu?  We "hide" that in turkey meatballs for Ella.  Also - I read somewhere that you can add flaxseed oil to just about anything they eat to boost the calories. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"