North Carolina Babies

Not good news from Maddie's parents

The damage to Maddie's heart is permanent.  The slowest her heart has beaten over the last few days is 140 bpm.  Her heart is basically functioning at 50%. They've put her on beta blockers but they are making her sick and miserable.  So far, they aren't working, but the doctors are hopeful that with a little more time they will start helping.

Here's where the news just get's shittier.  She won't be a candidate for a heart transplant unless she's been in remission for at least 2 years.  But they can't continue chemo treatments  because her body just can't take it.

Essentially the options are give her chemo and hope that it doesn't kill her or stop the chemo and let her heart get better and then the leukemia kills her.

I just don't even know what else to say except that this is a giant black hole of suck if there ever was one.  I'm going to try to go up to the hospital on Thursday to visit with her and her parents.  I have some cards that need dropping off and maybe they'll welcome the distraction.

Also - I'm sorry I keep doing the post and run updates, but we are swamped her getting ready for the move.  I appreciate all the prayers and kind thoughts for her family and I know they appreciate it more than you know.

Re: Not good news from Maddie's parents

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"