North Carolina Babies

Annoying competitive moms

This evening, Nate and I were outside walking around the neighborhood, when he saw another toddler about his age.  He got really excited and ran over to say hello. They were playing with a t-ball set, and they invited us over to play.

The mom then proceeds to tell me that her son is 2 1/2 and weighs 38 lbs and wears size 10 shoes. She asks me about whether Nate is in daycare, and then says that she tried to enroll her son in daycare at 15 months, but he didn't adjust well.  She added that they had "nothing to teach him" because she's already taught him everything.  Apparently he knows the alphabet, he can count, and now he's learning to count by tens. He can also operate a computer, play wii, and apparently he does most of their home repair. *rolls eyes*

The woman was nice enough and her son was actually pretty fun for Nate to play with, but I don't know if I can handle many conversations with her. We were over there for 15 mins and I have her son's "resume" memorized.  Why do some moms have to be that way?

Re: Annoying competitive moms

• good lord!! i love that she gave you his weight and shoe size!! who cares!! and i know we aren't in a daycare but i find it hard to believe that they cant teach him anything...i wonder if he plays well with other kids or if he's gonna be one of those kids who cant interact at all with others!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Has she taught him appropriate social skills??!! I think not!  :)
    Kim

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Eli knows the alphabet and can count as well.  He learned that from daycare Stick out tongue.  Those moms drive me crazy.  Maybe after she's satisfied that her kid is better than yours she'll back off and the kids can play together without her driving you crazy.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Lame. No Why do people do that? It is so pathetic!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• It sounds like she has decided that her excellence as a mother is contingent on her son's precociousness.

Personally I'd be inclined to avoid all conversations with her.

Hopefully her son hasn't yet internalized his mother's need fro him to be perfect in everything and he can still be a good playmate for Nate, but I'd be skeptical, which really is too bad. :(

Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
  • Poor kid.  She's gonna embarrass him for his entire life.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageflamencogal:
    Has she taught him appropriate social skills??!! I think not!  :)

I think she need to learn them herself first....

This type of Mommy is crazy common though, IMHO, which is too bad. :(

Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
  • IDK why moms have to be that way. I've run into a few of those annoying parents and it drives me crazy.

Oh, and just so you all know, I taught my kid the alphabet while he was still in the womb, he's kicking some teenage a$ses in the SAT prep course I've got him enrolled in, and he's just about mastered calculus. Stick out tongue

Catching up on sports news...
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemurph04:

IDK why moms have to be that way. I've run into a few of those annoying parents and it drives me crazy.

Oh, and just so you all know, I taught my kid the alphabet while he was still in the womb, he's kicking some teenage a$ses in the SAT prep course I've got him enrolled in, and he's just about mastered calculus. Stick out tongue

When I was telling DH about this woman, I said something about how well the little boy talked, and DH said "Yeah, but how's his Spanish?" and I said "His Spanish is not so great.  He has a lot of trouble with the past perfect tense." and DH said "He's really struggling with irregular verbs."

We're really catty when it comes to things like this. Stick out tongue

• One of my friends had her son the same day as mine and it's been a constant comparisson since day 1 from her...why can't moms just let them be babies and progress how they progress...that's part of the fun to see how different they all are! Totally know the feeling...

• imageECUGirl2004:
    imagemurph04:

IDK why moms have to be that way. I've run into a few of those annoying parents and it drives me crazy.

When I was telling DH about this woman, I said something about how well the little boy talked, and DH said "Yeah, but how's his Spanish?" and I said "His Spanish is not so great.  He has a lot of trouble with the past perfect tense." and DH said "He's really struggling with irregular verbs."

We're really catty when it comes to things like this. Stick out tongue

::snort::giggle::

Catching up on sports news...
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"