South Florida Babies

Relocating to Miami ????

DH is considering a job in Miami, neither of us have ever lived there before.  Can you offer any neighborhood advice?  He would be working in the Brickell area, and we would love to avoid a hellish commute (45min+ each way.)  What do you love/hate about having children in Miami?

Re: Relocating to Miami ????

• Hey Liz!  Hope you got my response, and it was helpful.  ; )
    -- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I did!  Thank You!!!!  Relocating is so stressful!  I forgot about taxes and HOI!! ACK! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I think Coral Gables is great to live in and it's pretty close to the Brickell area. I love where I live in the Gables because I can walk to Miracle Mile and Merrick Park. There are also a lot of parks in the area and a lot of community events that are family friendly. The Coral Gables branch of the library also has a free infant & toddler reading program that meets weekly where you get to play with other kids and meet other parents. As of right now, I can't say I hate anything about having a child in Miami.
  • As for taxes, we don't have a state tax, which is nice.  : )  Property taxes (if buying) are on the higher end, but have significantly decreased over the past 3 yrs!

When trying to avoid a lot of traffic to downtown, I'd try to live as far east as possible (close to US1).  Anything too west will get you into a lot of traffic, quickly!  Personally, my "west" point is 117 Avenue (for reference, US1, depending on the area, is about 75 Avenue - the highway is diagnal).  It takes you from Downtown all the way south to the FL Keys (4 hrs later)!

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I grew up in Miami Shores and I LOVE it there!! It's about a 20-25 minute drive to downtown during rush hour.  The houses are beautiful and it's a great neighborhood feel. They have a community center that has sports for kids and adults, classes, a pool and a kiddie water playground and a tot lot.  There's also a country club with golf course.  Totally love the area.  Great schools, there's a good public school, charter school, catholic school (where I went), and private.  There's also a bunch of churches.

Nearby there's Biscayne Park which is also great, homes are a little more affordable.  I was born and raised in Miami.  I love living here, love living near the ocean.  I don't hate anything, but we do worry about hurricanes and it gets brutally hot in the summer, but we make up for it in the winter with amazingly beautiful weather!

My parents neighbor is a realtor if you want to talk to someone for advice, she's really nice and a mom of 2.

image image

• Coral Gables is a very nice community and close to the Brickell area.  It is very well maintained and central to a lot of places.  We've been living here for nine years now and love it.  I agree with Jackie - you want to live east to try and avoid that west to east traffic.  I love living here - the weather is amazing, there is always something to do.  We have beaches, beautfiul parks, great libraries, museums, zoos, aquariums, etc.  As Leaana mentioned, it gets soooo hot during the summer months but it's worth it when the rest of the country is snowed in during the winter and we're chillaxin' at the beach :0) Good luck to you and your family!

• Lots of young couples love Brickell, but if you are there for a long time you will want to move closer to the better schools which are in Coconut Grove and Coral Gables.  I would rent first so you can figure out where you want to live later.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"