North Carolina Babies

Working Moms-Question For You

This may be a personal question, but I am hoping you will share. What percentage of your monthly take home pay (not you and DH, just your pay) goes to childcare (daycare/preschool/nanny, etc)?

I only have part time childcare (nanny and preschool) and the percentage is very low (around 18%). But I am trying to plan for when baby #2 comes and out of my take home pay, my monthly estimated child care expenses will be around 42% (just for part time), which seems really high. So I am curious, if you are willing to share, what percentage of your take home goes to child care.

Thanks!

Re: Working Moms-Question For You

• Of just my take home pay almost 40% goes to full time daycare. Health insurance for me and DS comes out of my paycheck before taxes. If it weren't for the insurance I would consider working part time or even SAH. Now, once #2 gets here and is in daycare too, that will jump to 81% of my take home pay not including extra insurance - YIKES!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • right now it is about 15-18% of our take home pay.  If we had 2 kids it would be about 35%. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Just to put it in context I take out for health ins and dsa and I'm in a low cost for DC. With all of that said, it is about 18%. It will increase next year b/c we will pay DC and preschool.
  • Ooops, I just realized you asked about MY ratio, not mine plus DH's.

Daycare is about 27% of my take home pay right now. If we were to add a 2nd child (with my pay staying the same and daycare rates staying the same), it would end up taking about 53% of my pay.

• imageSalisburyBride:
    Of just my take home pay almost 40% goes to full time daycare. Health insurance for me and DS comes out of my paycheck before taxes. If it weren't for the insurance I would consider working part time or even SAH. Now, once #2 gets here and is in daycare too, that will jump to 81% of my take home pay not including extra insurance - YIKES!

Yeah, insurance is the kicker! Luckily both kids will be on DH's insurance, but jumping to almost 50% of my take home pay for child care is going to hurt (and I know if I had full time care and was in a bigger city it would be A LOT more!).

• ECU and nlsanchez, are those percentages based on your take home or both you and your DH? If I added DH's salary into the mix, our percentage would be a lot lower. I guess I am just interested in the percentage of my take home because that is the salary that would be affected if I did not work (therefore not needing child care).

Thanks for the responses!

• I originally responded with both of our salaries, but I changed it to just mine.

• imageECUGirl2004:

I originally responded with both of our salaries, but I changed it to just mine.

Gotcha, thanks!

• With just my take home pay, it is about 40%.  With both DH and I it is about 15%.  If we had two children, it would be close to 75% of my take home pay for daycare.  Fortunately, O is going to part time daycare when we move and it will drop down some and be about 30% of my take home pay.
  • I'm estimating roughly 31% of my take home pay will go to daycare expenses.  DS will be added to my insurance and I also carry myself and DH.  I also have not factored in what I'll be contributing to a Dependent Care Spending Account, which would decrease my take home pay.

• If it was just my income, 40% would go to the nanny and paying nanny taxes.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Daycare expenses for us are approx. 29% of my take-home pay. A supplemental life insurance policy, medical flex and 401k are taken out of my check. DH has our health insurance and the max. for the dependent care spending account taken out of his check.
  • For me, it's 21%. DS is in daycare full time.
  • If it's a 4 week month, it's about 26%.  If it's a 5 week month, it's about 32%.  I get paid the same monthly, but we pay for daycare weekly.  Also, our insurance all comes out of DH's pay, and our FSA money.  Nothing comes out of my check except taxes.

ETA: it makes a huge difference as to whether people have insurance and things like that taken out of their check too.  Just keep that in mind. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • i've never even thought of it.
    for me, 25%.
    and yes, after my and DS insurance plus flex spending and 403B.
    we use a dependent care acct. also.

i guess for all of us here, that's why it pays for us to work.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 35%
    image Aiden Jude is on his way! Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for all the responses! It does seem like it "pays to work" for most of the ladies on this board (very few high percentages). And I guess even 42% for two kids in child care does not seem that high (and I have a flex account, insurance and 401K contribution coming out too).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"