Pregnant after 35
Options

Intro, will be 41 at delivery

That felt super weird to type. I haven't wrapped my head around turning 41 yet, beside the fact that I honestly feel like I am only in my early 30s anyway.

So, I am 15.5 weeks.  October 14 due date.  So far, decent pregnancy, with the exception of two bleeding episodes in the first tri.  Otherwise, I feel absolutely great (oh , minus itchy palms and soles of my feet.)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Intro, will be 41 at delivery

• Options
    Welcome! Itchy feet would drive me berserk. How do you deal with it?
    I am a Wonder-Mom!
    DD#1 - January 2008
    DD#2 - September 2010
  • Options
    That's awesome.  I'm 35 and I really am happier every year.  I always wanted a family young but it just didn't happen that way.  Most of my friends are over 35 and we all still feel like a bunch of kids, loving and living life.  What's the saying, 40 is the new 20 right?  I'm pg with my first and thrilled to pieces.  I would say I'm probably much more nervous by nature than in my 20s and I do feel it affects the decisions I make.  I probably would have been much less timid or worried ten years ago, but I feel more comfortable and relaxed each week that goes by.  You're only as old as you feel!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    congrats & welcome!
  • Options

oh and this is our first. and only.

re itchy feet:  when the first incident was feet AND entire body, the doc said to take Claritin (daytime) and then benadryl at night. she tested me for cholestatis (which she thought was way to early, and not my issue, but wanted to be 100% sure) and indeed, it was not that.  I haven't had full body itch lately, just the palms and feet.  for the feet, i have to do my best to scratch during the day - and then at night, honestly, I use a super prickly brush and then coat with lotion.

• Options

also, not a day doesn't go by without a lingering thought of :  I have lived my entire adult life , from 18 - now, without a dependant.  Holyshitt, did we just screw a good thing up?

The more I chill with my friends who are already parents and blazed the trail long before me, and those who also have infants/toddlers, the more I think that we made the right decision. 

In summary, I am still petrified.

• Options
    Hey neighbor (I live in South Jersey!!)  Welcome to the board.  Being scared comes with the territory but it's all worth it!  Looking forward to seeing you around the board
  • Options
    imagerumdrinx:

also, not a day doesn't go by without a lingering thought of :  I have lived my entire adult life , from 18 - now, without a dependant.  Holyshitt, did we just screw a good thing up?

The more I chill with my friends who are already parents and blazed the trail long before me, and those who also have infants/toddlers, the more I think that we made the right decision. 

In summary, I am still petrified.

You're not alone with these thoughts!  Big Smile 

• Options
    I have thrown a huge Cinco de Mayo blowout every year for as long as I can remember.  I'm not out in the open yet, and people are starting to wonder why there hasn't been an invite.  My current plan is to blame it on having a St. Patty's party instead.  People are very disappointed and not everyone is taking no for an answer.  I'm not generally feeling like I'm missing out yet with the no drinking or nightlife or general lifestyle change, but I am going to be pouting for Cinco de Mayo.  Other than that I haven't really thought about it, other than how excited I am to meet the baby!  I usually won't hold a baby until he can hold up his own head, and the last time I changed a diaper I accidentally flung poop in the food court at the mall...but I'm counting on maternal instincts to get me through!   
  • Options
    Congrats and welcome!
  • Options
    Congrats and welcome
  • Options

Yes, having a baby will change so many things about your life. While some things will be tougher (going to the grocery store, planning a night out, and sleeping!), in so many ways, life will likely become more meaningful for you! You will notice small, beautiful things again. Like how your child looks at a flower or responds to a dog or cat. Or the silly way she says a new word. And just wait till the first time he says mama! It's the best 4-letter word ever!! You will get to do things again you haven't thought of in years...like go to a pumpkin farm, and you'll likely have a blast!

Congratulations! I think you made a great decision! 

And btw to the "first and only" comment...you may be perfectly content with one child (there are plenty of upsides to an "only" situation), but I had a friend who decided to adopt a second child after their first was a few years old (she felt that she didn't want to have another baby while in her 40s). It's working out well for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"