North Carolina Babies

Anyone do Meatless Monday?

Meatless Monday

I have started this in our house after watching an Oprah about if every family took 1 night a week and made it meat free, it would be like taking 123,000 cars off the road (per family). This is really hard for DH because he is a "Meatatarian" and only eats things with faces. I could go meatless every night! We are having cheese enchiladas with homemade enchilada sauce tonight!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone do Meatless Monday?

• We have been doing a meatless meal once a week for a while now. I think the key is to make things that sort of trick you into forgetting you are missing meat.  I personally could care less, but DH likes his meat.  This recipe is a hit at our house! (with some minor adjustments, regular chili powder + 1/4 tsp cumin).

https://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1949753

We also do homemade veggie pizza some weeks too and that is a great one.

My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We don't do meatless Monday...but we do have at least one or two nights a week without meat. I was a vegetarian for awhile and still like to try to incorporate a couple of those meals a week. My husband is a meatatarian as well and he does well with those meals now that he's gotten used to the idea. :) Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto PPs - we don't have Meatless Monday, but we do try to have 1-2 meals a week without meat.  It's cheaper and healthier for us.  Plus, now that there are so many fruits and veggies in season, it's easy, too. 
  • We usually do at least 1 vegetarian meal per week.  Often, we end up eating it twice, because I usually plan our meals so that we have leftovers later in the week. I plan vegetarian meals to help offset the cost of buying organic foods.

Some of our recent vegetarian favorites have been these 2:

Tortilla Soup

Black Bean Burritos

This week we're trying Spinach Quiche.

Another great meatless meal is Breakfast for dinner (Brinner) ;). Eggs, pancakes, omelets, waffles, biscuits, etc.  There are a ton of meatless options and we always get excited about Brinner.

• This is a really good idea! DH and I have honestly stewed over giving up meat entirely ... but we both love it that we'd probably be miserable ... lol. But I think just having even 1 meal per week (and dubbing it "meatless Mondays") is a great idea! We might have to start this.
  • imageMereD19:
    This is a really good idea! DH and I have honestly stewed over giving up meat entirely ... but we both love it that we'd probably be miserable ... lol. But I think just having even 1 meal per week (and dubbing it "meatless Mondays") is a great idea! We might have to start this.

We started off doing one meatless night a week (Fridays for Lent) and once we found a couple of recipes we really liked, it was a LOT easier to do a couple of nights a week.  Now we generally go meatless 3-4 nights a week.

• we have been doing it for a couple years now, not on mondays though but sometime during the week. my reason for starting though was i was cooking chicken way too often during the week Embarrassed
    Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • Oh, we definitely have a meatless day a couple of days a week. Thankfully, we both love salad and veggies. I don't think our bodies were really meant to eat THAT much meat. I mean, if you have bacon & eggs for breakfast, a turkey sandwich for lunch and tacos for dinner you've consumed like 5x the meat in one day than our grandparents did in a week! Where do people think those animals come from? Where do they think they live? What do they think they eat? Ugh. I could go on and on and on about this, but I'll spare you all.

I think it's a great idea. I think we all need to eat less meat and eat WAY more fruits and veggies! 

• btw, we love this blog for vegetarian recipe ideas:

https://www.101cookbooks.com/

• DH is a pescetarian; so we go meatless every night.... It not all that hard once you get used to it!!

*I do give DS meat though; typically chicken*

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH goes meatless 100% of the time and has me in almost the same habit. It wasn't hard to embrace this since we both felt better once we cut out meat. I still have it from time to time, but maybe more like once a week. I think if it didn't make me sick, I'd be craving a steak all the time. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"