North Carolina Babies

Unplanned c-section-anyone else feel like I do?

Hey everyone! I had a wonderful baby girl April 30, 2010.She was a whopping 9 lbs. 9 oz. and 22 in. long, much bigger than the dr.expected.  After being in labor for about 21 hours, I pushed for 2 1/2 hours. With how big she was she couldn't fit through my pelvis. They did a c-section, and I was very fortunate all went well.However, the stuff that numbs you wouldn't work fully, they tried two different kinds and eventually had to knock me out. Therefore I was not conscious for my babies birth, and my husband had to leave the room. I am so disappointed that neither of u were"present" when she arrived. I know its out of my control but I am really upset, and now afraid of having another c-section. So I have two questions: 1. did anyone else have to be put under during their c-section? and 2. anyone that had a c-section did you get to have a vbac the next time? I am so happy but a couple of times over the past month when i think about this I get upset and cry to my hubby. He reminds me that it was out of my control, but I thought maybe hearing from some of you would help, being that no one I know had c-sections. Thanks so much in advance!!

Re: Unplanned c-section-anyone else feel like I do?

• I had an unplanned c-section but I wasn't completely knocked out...however, I was pretty terrified and scared and out of it, so not entirely "with it" so to speak.  I think, for me, the worst part was not being able to hold her right away...then, she ended up having some fluid in her lungs, so they had to watch her for a few hours, so I wasn't able to hold her for the first time until a few hours after she was born.  My husband did, but not me :( 

As far as next time, I guess it all depends on your dr. and where you deliver, and the reasons for the c-section.  For me, after all was said and done, I won't mind having another c-section if needed and honestly have no desire for a vaginal birth!

But, I can definitely understand feeling upset about it, especially if having a vaginal birth was something that was really important to you...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was put to sleep for my baby girl's birth too.  I could feel them cutting me.  It was awful.  I still have times I get upset about it.  I missed that first cry, etc.  So did DH.  And our families all held her before I even saw her.  It kills me.

I am scared to death of this happening again.  I don't know if I will try for a VBAC or not yet.  Not even TTC yet, so I have time to decide.  I am afraid if I try for a VBAC, the same thing will happen.  If I go for a scheduled csection, I will get a spinal... so hopefully that will work better then an epidural.  I don't know.

BTW... when was your baby born?  It says April 30, but that is not for a couple days!!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had an unplanned c-section for the same reason you did. I was not knocked out, but they threatened me with it because none of the medication was working, but it finally kicked it. We were a little disappointed because DH didn't get to cut the cord, and also when you make that decision, you don't think long term, like for me, dealing with a raised and tender scar. The feelings you are having do pass after time, but it is hard.

That being said we are trying for #2 and I plan to get a repeat c-section, due to the fact the baby could not fit through my pelvis bones and I don't want to labor again and push and end up in the same situation, and it takes a toll on your body. I do plan to talk to my OB about my options for the c-section, and being able to see/hold the baby right away, DH cutting the cord, etc. 

You may want to page Racey on the board, she really wanted a vbac and talking to her dr. at length about it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I knew about a week ahead that I was going to have a C- they did an u/s and the baby looked big and he wasn't dropping. I am extremely claustrophobic, so I talked to the anethesiologist about what would happen if I freaked out, and they said they would give me something if that happened. Well, I didn't freak, but they still gave me the stuff so I have a hard time remembering everything that happened and I am still upset by it. In the end it was probably a good thing, since my baby ended up in the NICU and my spinal took 4 hrs to wear off, but it still bothers me. I barely remember seeing him in the OR. So, I know what you mean even though the situations were different! I also get upset about the fact that I didn't get a normal birth experience as far as not getting to have Ben in our room, having to leave without him, etc.  Its tough to let go of sometimes.
    M/C #1 BFP 5/26/08, missed m/c discovered 9w1d (blighted ovum) M/C #2 BFP 11/19/08, missed m/c discovered at 12w1d (triploidy) BFP!! 3/27 Due date 12/5/09 Benjamin Tate is here! Born 12-1-09, 9lbs 5oz, 22" via C-Section M/C #3: d/x ectopic, methotrexate given 2/11 BFP!! 7/12, due 3-21-12
  • I had an unplanned c/s with DD#1 and was very torn up about it after.  I cried on and off for weeks and up until I had DD#2, I was still pretty unhappy with it.  My labor stalled to pretty much nothing, DD#1 didn't react well to the pitocin they then gave me and my contractions never picked up again after they removed the pitocin so I ended up with a c/s.  I was incredibly nervous, scared and disappointed.  I ended up freaking out on the OR table and although I was awake when she was born, I was quickly put out after (when they took her away, I started freaking out that I was dying -- I know, dramatic!).  I am extremely thankful that my daughter was healthy and I had no complications during the surgery but I did feel like I missed out on something for a long time.

I had intended to try for a VBAC with DD#2 but it didn't go that way.  I was torn about what to do for about 33 weeks of my pg.  I really wanted to have the experience of a natural birth but was scared of the risks (and the unknown), even though the risks aren't any greater than repeat surgery.  I decided to plan for a c/s and then see how things went -- if I went into labor on my own before then.  But at 38 weeks, I found out she was breech and so the c/s was my only option given they don't allow VBACs if your baby is breech. 

I was surprised that I was relieved to have the decision decided for me.  And since having my second c/s, I don't have the same feelings about missing out on a vaginal birth.  I wish I didn't have a keloid scar (although smaller than my first, I still developed one this time around too).

I know how you feel and know it's a hard feelin to get over but it does get better!  I think some people who had vaginal births and talk about how we really didn't miss anything because of the pain from a vaginal birth really don't understand what it feels like to not have gone through something you felt you were preparing for for 9 months.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageraceyrae:

I know how you feel and know it's a hard feelin to get over but it does get better!  I think some people who had vaginal births and talk about how we really didn't miss anything because of the pain from a vaginal birth really don't understand what it feels like to not have gone through something you felt you were preparing for for 9 months.

I absolutely agree with this. Although I am so happy DS was healthy & we didn't have any major complications - I don't remember the birth process as a happy one. I feel like the c/s was so out of my control and took away an experience I wanted to have. I'm not sure if I'll try for a VBAC with #2, pretty much for the same reasons posted above. I think its great you are talking about this - it's a lot of emotions to deal with!

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"