South Carolina Babies
Options

Columbia moms, help?

We currently live in the Houston area and my husband has been accepted to USC for law school so it looks like that is where we will be moving! I am really excited about it, but I have no knowledge about the area. Apartments look really huge online and pretty well priced compared to here. I was wondering if anyone lives in a great complex, or knows of an area that might even have well priced homes for rent. Are there any areas of town to steer clear of?

Hopefully be posting on here more often in the coming months and thanks for any help you have!

Re: Columbia moms, help?

• Options
    My husband is just graduating law school this May and we moved here from out of state as well.  There are a lot of apartment complexes in the area, and in MANY different areas.  I'm not sure if you're looking to be close to the school, which means in town, a little bit noisier and more congested, but obviously closer to the University, or outside of town.  We live on the Southeast side of town in the Deer Meadow Apartments and pay about $700 for a 2 bedroom with a sunroom.  We have enjoyed being outside of town but have friends that live near school at Aspyre, also nice because he walks to school and the rent there is about $1000 a month for a much smaller two bedroom, but then the downside is that there are college students running everywhere.....It's all a matter of preference!  When you moving down??  Let me know if we can help you get acquainted with the area and what to expect in law school before we move out of town.  Also, I can put you in touch with the gal who is taking over for the SBAA, the Student Bar Association Auxillary, which is essentially a group of wives who have students at the law school.  It would be a great way for you to meet other people in the area!  I ran it this year and we do some things for the school to help out but mostly, we are a social group.  Good luck again!
  • Options

That contact info would be great! I have been most nervous about meeting other people, mainly moms.

I would think we would want to live close to the school but still be in an area with green places to take our son, which is why I thought of a large complex with playgrounds and lawn area.

Thanks so much for the help! We're going to visit in May or June to look for a place and visit the city. We've never even been thereBig Smile

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Email me at stefcav@gmail.com

As far as green area....you won't find a lot of that in the town but have to go a little outside town.  We live outside town and it takes my husband 15-20 minutes to get to school.  It's really not bad at all....and again, we're not surrounded by rowdy college students.

• Options
    There are also a lot of houses available to rent for a reasonable price. I used to rent my 3 br/1 bath house for $875 with a huge backyard. It was downtown and probably about 10 minutes from USC. Check out the forest acres area.
  • Options
    Forest Acres is a great place to live as well but also 15 minutes from the school, but you won't find the crazy college parties there, it's more family oriented.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help! We have made our decision so we'll be moving to Columbia in early August! Now we just have to get on top of selling the house....
  • Options

I have lived all over Columbia, the Shandon area is going to be nice and close to the university. It is an older, but trendy area of town.  I do believe their are nice apartments in the area. Not a lot of apartments but you could possibly find a house to rent in Shandon or even Rosewood, another downtown area--but Rosewood gets a little tricky on areas.

I live in NE Columbia now and there are a lot of nice apartments and it is a great location for eating and shopping. But it will be a small commute to the university, not bad. I would highly recommend Villa's at Spears Creek and Paddock's Club.

Another great place is Forest Acres, close to the university as well. Not many apartments there but possibly rental houses. It will be pricey.

Feel free to ask me about any areas or places, I will give you any info I can.

• Options

Thanks for the info about Shandon! I think we're actually okay living close to the action if we can get into a duplex or house. It would be nicer to have that type of arrangement with the LO.

I guess my biggest worry is crime. I don't know how it really is there, but we are in Houston now and sites have said that Columbia is higher in crime than Houston! Is most all of it confined to small pockets in town? And will it be pretty obvious which parts of town are bad?

We're coming in June to find a place! My next thing is to find a good pedi and daycare....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"