North Carolina Babies
Options

Anyone decline internal exams?

I'm not sure when my doc will want to start internal exams, so I want to be prepared with a reaction when the time comes. Did anyone decline them? How did your doc react?

I used to think I would want them, but now that I think about it, they don't tell you much and they just get your hopes up or greatly disappoint you. Plus, I don't do well with pain/discomfort.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone decline internal exams?

• Options

My practice doesn't do them until 39 weeks. I did allow them at that point, because I was curious. Luckily it wasn't too uncomfortable (any more uncomfortable that I was just in general at that point! haha!)

But unless you're overdue, I don't see why they would mind if you declined them.

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Options
    My office didn't offer until 39 weeks, and I let them do it. At that point I was curious and I don't remember it hurting. I was 1cm dilated and had DS the next day. =)
    image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

OK, 39 weeks sound reasonable. I've been lurking on 3rd tri and it seems that a lot of the girls' docs start at 36 weeks and check every week until delivery! That's just seems a bit excessive to me, so I was getting freaked. Thanks for assuaging my fears!  Smile

• Options

My OB did it at 36 weeks, but that's because I was having contractions.  I don't think they normally check that soon.

And, that that point, I'm quite positive the contractions were a lot more uncomfortable.  I really don't think it's much more uncomfortable than anything else they do down there anyway.  

• Options
    mine didn't start til 38 weeks.
    it was not painful.
    at 38 weeks, i was nothing.
    at 39 weeks, i was 2cm 80%effaced and having lots of contractions.
    I lost my mucous plug later that day after my appt.
    my water broke 3 days later.

• Options

My office doesn't really do them until you are due because unless you are having regular contractions, the baby isn't coming (that's what the nurse politely told me when I inquired).  They will do them if you want them to so I did have a couple at the end with DD1.  I thought it was pretty painful, like I wanted to scoot and jump off the table. 

Personally, I don't really see the point.  Curiosity just got the best of me.  I think I did have one at 38 weeks with DD2 b/c I had a c-section scheduled for 39 weeks and I was really concerned about the possiblity that she might come early or something.  But again, I wasn't having any contractions, so it was pointless. 

I guess I just don't get the doing them starting at 36 weeks and every week. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Options
    Yes, you don't have to do them. I did at 37 weeks because I was curious about being dilated, but after that I declined! My practice always asked at check in, during the blood pressure check so the dr. would know in advance.
  • Options

My office started at 36 weeks but I think only because I was so big...but they did ask first, so I'm assuming I could've said no. My friend that had hers the same day as Wyatt I know declined her early ones and it was no biggie...so I think unless they really feel like they need to check for some reason, that it's ok to decline if they ask earlier. And yeah, it's not that uncomfy as you would think it would be.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"