Toronto Babies
Options

Typical number of U/S in Ontario?

I started this pregnancy in Mexico (5.5 months worth) while DH finished his contract ... now back home ... and just wondering ... what is the typical number of ultra sounds you receive in Ontario?  I had one at every appointment in Mexico ... and lucky me I get another one here for my new Canadian Dr.'s records! 

Also .. anyone here deliver or planning to deliver at East General? So far it seems really nice, and very friendly! 

Re: Typical number of U/S in Ontario?

• Options

Wow, every appt, that would be nice.

I was at a fertility clinic, so I think I got a few more at the beginning, but I am guessing you get maybe 2 or 3? Maybe one to date the pregnancy, one for the nuchal screening (if you choose to do it) and one for at around 20 wks for the anatomical screening.

• Options

We had 4 - but I think normally you only have 3. We got a bonus u/s at our first appointment, which wasn't normal.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Everyone gets the 20 week anatomical. If you opt for IPS, then you also get the 13 week. Many get the dating u/s early on.

There were recently articles about how Canadians get too many u/s than are necessary which is basically costing us all tons of money. 

https://www.parentcentral.ca/parent/babiespregnancy/pregnancy/article/746216--pregnant-women-having-too-many-ultrasounds

https://www.calgaryherald.com/health/Pregnant+Canadians+have+many+ultrasounds+study/2406841/story.html

• Options
    Thanks ladies ... that's so silly ..."too many ultra sounds" ... I find getting them to be very reassuring that all is going well.  It was so nice to see LO every month! (I had my first, although internal, at 7.5 weeks ... strong heartbeat and the baby was really well attached I found out) I really miss my Doctor from Mexico .. she was so nice and reassuring ... sigh ...
  • Options
    With my doctor I just had the one at 20 weeks. I opted out of the screening and blood test at 13 weeks because I knew I wouldn't abort if they found something wrong. So other than those two, my doctor said that he would only send me for more if he suspected a problem.
  • Options

You only get 1 unless you opt for the testing at 12-13w. If you go overdue you will get one as well.

Personally I liked not having them that often. 

• Options
    imagekrystalanstey:
    With my doctor I just had the one at 20 weeks. I opted out of the screening and blood test at 13 weeks because I knew I wouldn't abort if they found something wrong. So other than those two, my doctor said that he would only send me for more if he suspected a problem.
    Not to be a b*tch, but it sounds like you are suggesting that people only get screened if they are planning on aborting. For the record, I don't know what I would have done, but I would have wanted to be prepared in any event.
  • Options

imageE_sharp:
    imagekrystalanstey:
    Not to be a b*tch, but it sounds like you are suggesting that people only get screened if they are planning on aborting. For the record, I don't know what I would have done, but I would have wanted to be prepared in any event.

Sorry if you misinterpreted it...I was just explaining the reason I opted out of it and therefore only had 1 U/S instead of 2. When my doctor explained the test to me he said it's up to me whether I want to have the test but many people don't bother with it if they know it wouldn't make a difference to them if something was found which happened to be the way I felt (and didn't really feel like doing another blood test).

• Options

imageE_sharp:
    imagekrystalanstey:

Holy jump the shark!  That is not how I took her post at all. 

• Options
    My bad then.
  • Options
    Two or three with a non-high risk pregnancy.

My OB does a little check every appt. with the u/s though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"