Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

2 yo's Birthday Party: No Gifts

We are invited to a birthday party for a 2 year old this afternoon and the invite said "No gifts please".

I barely know the mom (she is DH's boss) and have never met the little girl, but it looks fun -- it is at a gymnastics place where the kids can play. 

I just don't feel right not bringing something for the birthday girl. I got a little $5 beach toy kit thing and was thinking of having DS fingerpaint a card for her.

Am I out of line to bring a little gift even though they said not to? Or is it sort of understood that you should still bring a little something? WWYD?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: 2 yo's Birthday Party: No Gifts

• Options

This is why I hate when invitations say "no gifts."  It's confusing and puts the guests in the awkward position of either sticking to what the host wants and doing something that makes them uncomfortable (going to a party empty-handed) or ignoring the host's wishes and doing what they think is polite.

Anyway, some of the other guests will definitely bring gifts, so if you want to bring something you won't be the only one.

• Options
    Honestly if it said no gifts I wouldn't bring one. The card idea is cute and then you could always give a little 5 or 10 dollar donation to a charity in honor of the little girl, and mention that in the card.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Have your son make a card, and then donate a toy, or game, or book, or the amount you would have spent on a gift to a children's charity-some good ideas are family homeless shelters, head start programs, school libraries.
  • Options
    I wouldn't bring a gift, especially since you are not close with the family. I'd bring a card and stick to the 'no gift' request.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The card idea is very cute, but I would honor the no gift request.  I can't imagine that they would say no gifts and still expect to receive gifts.
  • Options
    My sister did this when my nephew turned two and it was so awkard.  Maybe get her a book for her library or something.  Not like a toy... 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageAFC921:
    Honestly if it said no gifts I wouldn't bring one. The card idea is cute and then you could always give a little 5 or 10 dollar donation to a charity in honor of the little girl, and mention that in the card.

This exactly!

• Options

imageJesse*sGirl:
    Have your son make a card, and then donate a toy, or game, or book, or the amount you would have spent on a gift to a children's charity-some good ideas are family homeless shelters, head start programs, school libraries.

this is perfect IMO.

no gifts means no gifts. either they have too much stuff already and not enough space or whatever. but they don't want any more gifts.

however if you still feel compelled, the cute homemade card and a small donation is very thoughtful and generous.

• Options
    I always just bring a card and leave it at that. It's an awkward situation if you are the only one who shows up with a gift...
  • Options
    imageMrs.Hagen2:
    I always just bring a card and leave it at that. It's an awkward situation if you are the only one who shows up with a gift...
    Trust me, she won't be.  Just about every birthday party we've been to this year said "no gifts" and people always bring gifts.  She's more likely to feel bad because others brought gifts and she didn't.
  • Options

I went to one- a friend said donate to a charity but no gifts. I bought a little $5 truck and EVERYONE bought gifts. I would have felt silly if I honored it.

a little token gift and a card or donation to charity are fine.

• Options
    imageSunny1inTucson:

imageJesse*sGirl:

this is perfect IMO.

no gifts means no gifts. either they have too much stuff already and not enough space or whatever. but they don't want any more gifts.

however if you still feel compelled, the cute homemade card and a small donation is very thoughtful and generous.

ditto this.  we always say "no gifts please" because we have so much stuff and they don't know the difference anyway.  we do make homemade cards when we get invites like this, too.

• Options
    imagewcp:
    imageSunny1inTucson:

imageJesse*sGirl:

this is perfect IMO.

ditto this.  we always say "no gifts please" because we have so much stuff and they don't know the difference anyway.  we do make homemade cards when we get invites like this, too.

ditto the above! No gifts means no gifts! 

• Options

With a "no gift" party, I usually bring a car with a giftcard to someplace like Build-a-Bear or something... that way, I'm still giving a gift which I WANT to give, but not showing up with a huge package.

Oh and if they want to donate the card, fine by me. I just always bring a gift when I go to someone's house.

• Options
    I hate this game; if it says no gifts, please DON'T bring one.  If they ask for no gifts its b/c they already have enough cheap plastic junk in their house and they don't want anymore.  If other people are rude and bring gifts, that's their fault, you don't need to worry about it.  Bring a handmade card if you want and then donate a gift to someone who needs it.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Definitely don't bring a gift.  They didn't include that request to just appear nice.  Bring a card, I like the idea of a handmade card.
  • Options

I really don't understand why this confuses people. It says no gifts. Don't bring a gift.

I don't consider a card to be a gift though, and I think it would be adorable if you had your son fingerpaint one :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imageKathrynMD:
    I hate this game; if it says no gifts, please DON'T bring one.  If they ask for no gifts its b/c they already have enough cheap plastic junk in their house and they don't want anymore.  If other people are rude and bring gifts, that's their fault, you don't need to worry about it.  Bring a handmade card if you want and then donate a gift to someone who needs it.

I have an issue with attitudes like yours. Whether or not I choose to give a gift is MY decision, not the hosts. I tried to do this for Jo's first birthday and was reminded it was rude and awkward. People aren't RUDE for bringing gifts. Indicating anything on the invitation specifying gifts one way or another is. And I really don't think people bring gifts toa  child's birthday party to fill their homes with "cheap plastic junk." 

image Josephine is 4.
  • Options
    imagelanie30:

imageKathrynMD:

I have an issue with attitudes like yours. Whether or not I choose to give a gift is MY decision, not the hosts. I tried to do this for Jo's first birthday and was reminded it was rude and awkward. People aren't RUDE for bringing gifts. Indicating anything on the invitation specifying gifts one way or another is. And I really don't think people bring gifts toa  child's birthday party to fill their homes with "cheap plastic junk." 

Agreed. I don't think giving a gift is rude in any situation. Lots of other people brought gifts and we brought our little one with a homemade card. It was no big thing and I was glad we didn't show up empty-handed.

If they're worried about more "crap" they can donate it all for all I care. I just felt better bringing the birthday girl something.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I would just bring a card.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    InvBKInvBK member
    imagelanie30:

imageKathrynMD:

Agreed.  It's never rude to bring a gift.  It is always rude to mention gifts on an invite.  I think the gift card idea is a good one.  You don't know why they don't want gifts.  So if they feel compelled to do so, they can donate it.  Or they can let their little one enjoy it.

• Options
    imagelanie30:

imageKathrynMD:

This exactly! I really feel awkward when an invitation even mentions anything about gifts. I don't have an expectation that people will show up w/ gifts to DD's 2nd bday in a few weeks, but if they did, that's sweet and thoughtful. I definitely feel uncomfortable w/ the "no gifts" thing. When I go to someone's house, I bring something. Whether it's a bottle of wine or a box of cookies for a dinner party or a gift for a child's bday party. And when I do that, I do it because I care about the person/family in question.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"