Working Moms

Toddler Teeth Brushing Help

My DS was thrilled when we first introduced the toothbrush.  Couldn't get enough of it.  He brushed himself, he let me brush his teeth, it was wonderful.  Now he is over it....so over it.  When I show him the toothbrush he shakes his head no and runs away.  I've tried getting in there to brush his teeth (he has about 10 teeth) but it turns into a crying production.  I've tried it in the tub but all he does is dip the toothbrush in the tub water and suck the water to drink....gross. so I've stopped the bath tub brushing. 

I've tried singing, new toothbrushes, charachter toothbrushes, a replica of my toothbrush everything...nothing works.  I don't want his teeth to rot out of his head....

Any suggestions??? TIA!

Re: Toddler Teeth Brushing Help

• We have this problem, too, except DS is thrilled to brush by himself (eg chew on the toothbrush) but not thrilled to let me help.  We bought some Thomas the Tank Engine toothpaste and that helps a little.  The only thing that works for us (and it only works some of the time) is letting him watch in the mirror and saying things like "open wide!"  For some reason, he likes watching the brushing.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Is he cutting some teeth right now? I notice when DS is teething, he doesn't want to be brushed, so I lay off for a day or two. Have you tried brushing your teeth and letting him watch you to see if he will do it at the same time? How about one of those kid's spin brushes?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • Loading the player...
  • This is always a big effort in our house.  She was "over" the Thomas the Train toothpaste and is now more willing since she got excited about her new "my little pony" toothpaste.  :)  Sometimes I just hold her down and tickle her until she opens her mouth.  Sigh.
  • At first it worked to turn DS upside down (he would laugh).  then we got some toddler toothpase, and that worked for a while.  then I'd sit him on the counter and he'd look in the mirror, that worked for a while.  then he started playing with the lightswitches while he sat on the counter, and that worked for a while.  Then he would lay on the counter and play with the water, but that led to wet PJs and wet mommy.  I'm trying to come up with a new distraction.  If I really can't brush his teeth I try to wipe them with a washcloth (and get bitten).  If all else fails I give him some water to drink and try again the next day. 

Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My daughter would only brush with one of those firefly toothbrushes that has a light that flashes for one minute in the handle.  We'd turn off the bathroom light and she'd go to town/let us brush the whole time.  She liked to watch it make her mouth glow red in the mirror.
  • Tooth brushing is a daily struggle in our house.  DS has about 6 different tooth brushes. We've tried everything....manual, spin brushes, light up, and music playing. I let him pick which one he wants, we use his favorite "choo-choo" toothpaste. I sing silly songs, or brush my teeth alongside him..whatever it takes to get him to brush. He's either really into or or refuses to open his mouth depending on his mood. We just make sure he only drinks water after dinner and if I get one good sweep of his teeth with the toothbrush every night I'm happy. 

I don't worry too much, although I guess I should. I took him to a pediatric dentist for his first checkup at 15 months ( he had about 10 teeth then). She told us that the number of 2 year olds that come in for their 1st checkup and have multiple cavities is growing.  Then she said that toddlers are more likely to develop cavities on their front teeth and that's the brushing struggle is the worst for us.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Currently, I'm having a little better luck getting her to take an electronic toothbrush, but it's definitely a fight. 

• It is a phase and this too shall pass.  Keep trying everyday, twice a day.  One thing that has worked great with us is that my DH brishes his teeth with the girls in the morning and about half the time before bed.  I think it really helps them see one of us brushing as well.  Our daycare also has the kids brush after lunch so I think that helps too!
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"