Maryland Babies

Transitioning to regular milk

Up until now, Ava has only had BM. My freezer stash is running low and I'm only pumping enough for 1/2 a days worth so I need to start the switch over to regular milk. When she goes with my mom, I pack 3 bags of 4oz each. Today, one of those bags was 2oz BM and 2oz of the organic milk. My mom said she didn't drink it all and acted like she knew it was different.

For those who have transitioned, how long did it take for them to be used to it. I'm planning on pumping for another month or two so she will be having both until then. Should I do half and half in all of them, or would it be ok to do some with all BM?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Transitioning to regular milk

• I only transitioned Ella from formula to milk.  I did the 1/2 and 1/2 thing for a few days (maybe 3?) and then it got annoying, so I just did whole milk.  DD wasn't bothered by it.  Are you doing sippys or bottles w/ Ava now?  I doubt she can tell a difference and if she can, so what?  I'd give her a few days - dont' feel guilty.  You've made it so long BF - you should be really proud of yourself.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I am doing both sippies and bottles still. I can't imagine it would be too different in taste for her to be totally out on it. Thanks for the feedback--I'll continue to mix a couple a day and then increase it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I never mixed milk and BM, but then again I didn't pump much.

I introduced milk in a sippy, never gave milk in a bottle and I gave the sippy @ meals, etc.  I never replaced nuturing nursing sessions w/ a sippy of milk (so first thing in the morning, before bed, etc.) so it was also a good transition of bottle/boob = comfort to milk = food/meal time if that makes sense. 

I would probably keep the EBM in the bottles, but only give milk in the sippy cup.  Yes, it will be different and she might not take to it right away, but she won't starve herself.  Also it's one less thing to worry about dropping (the bottle habit) I know some ppl don't think it's a big deal, but I see a lot of 2 yr old running around w/ bottles and their moms all say well otherwise he or she won't drink any milk. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagedaisyterp:

I never mixed milk and BM, but then again I didn't pump much.

I introduced milk in a sippy, never gave milk in a bottle and I gave the sippy @ meals, etc.  I never replaced nuturing nursing sessions w/ a sippy of milk (so first thing in the morning, before bed, etc.) so it was also a good transition of bottle/boob = comfort to milk = food/meal time if that makes sense. 

I would probably keep the EBM in the bottles, but only give milk in the sippy cup.  Yes, it will be different and she might not take to it right away, but she won't starve herself.  Also it's one less thing to worry about dropping (the bottle habit) I know some ppl don't think it's a big deal, but I see a lot of 2 yr old running around w/ bottles and their moms all say well otherwise he or she won't drink any milk. 

Thank you! I've been giving her the EBM in her sippy for over a month now and she drinks it pretty well. Right now she's down to two bottles a day, one with one of her naps and one at bedtime. I'm hoping to drop the naptime bottle within a week hopefully and then tackle the bedtime bottle. She has definitely become less attached to the bottle lately which is great.

• Ella dropped her bottles very easily; but I didn't push it either.  My goal was to have it mostly done by 12 months, and done by 18 mo.  She dropped the nap bottle around 12 or 13ish months and the bedtime one just last month.
  • I just talked to my mom and I didn't pack a bottle with her stuff today, it was totally by accident but she's been fine without. So if she goes down fine for her afternoon nap without one, I'm not going to give her one during the day anymore.

They grow up so fast! :(

• imageidonthavethis:

I just talked to my mom and I didn't pack a bottle with her stuff today, it was totally by accident but she's been fine without. So if she goes down fine for her afternoon nap without one, I'm not going to give her one during the day anymore.

They grow up so fast! :(

bittersweet!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"