Nebraska Babies
Options

Midwife or OB?

Just out of curiosity, are going to a midwife or OB?  I have chosen a midwife.  One, its more natural.  They use less medication and many women I have talked to feel better after having a natural birth than one with meds.   two, I HATE needles.  So if I have a midwife, I don't have to worry about the IV or the epideral or whatever else they give.  I know - I'm a chickn! 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Midwife or OB?

• Options
    I am more comfortable with OB's as a NICU nurse. I can see some definite benefits to delivering with a midwife, just not for me. I'd rather have a practitioner that can deliver me ASAP (aka c-section) than to change in the event of a section or worse, have to wait for another provider. FWIW, I had an epidural that was fabulous....I had three days of contracting every 2-3 minutes and 4 hours of having my water broken (TERRIBLE contractions) & didn't dilate past 3 cm. With an epidural I was able to relax enough to dilate...my daughter was born 4 hours later. GL & congrats! Smile
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Just b/c you have a midwife doesnt mean you wont get an iv or epidural, fair warning!  I LOVED my midwives at UNMC, they were very supportive of my all natural birth plan and having quite a few of my family members with me during delivery.  I too cringed at the thought of an epidural, and didnt want the restrictions of an iv.

Now all that being said...is that how labor went NO!  I had back labor for over 24 hrs before I was admitted (at 10 am), they broke my water at 1pm, and at 630 pm I wasnt progressing past 6cm...so that meant pitocin, and we tried to do iv meds and I finally gave into the epidural (2 days of back labor on top of pitocin is EXCRUCIATING!!). D was born just before 10pm, sideways, with his hand on his cheek. 

Long story short...base your decision on the provider you are more comfortable with and who is most likely to support your birth plan...but remember to keep ALL your options open on your birthplan as the things you dont want to happen are the most likely to happen in the delivery room.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I choose to go with a midwife at UNMC. As PP said, I don't expect my birth plan to go according the way I want but I choose a midwife in hope my chances of having a natural birth would increase. I also went with a midwife because I felt out of all my options, that was the best option for me. 

• Options

I used an OB with my first child and midwives with my second.  I loved every part of my care by the midwives so much more than the care I had with my OB.  My OB was very nice but the midwives were so much more involved.  They were so supportive and caring and my births were also completely different.  My first my water broke on its own and when I got to the hospital i was immediately put into bed with an IV.  I ended up with pitocin, stadol, an epidural, and a tear requiring stitches.  My OB was out of town (i had no idea until my water broke and i called) and the on call OB came when I started pushing.  My second birth was AMAZING! Contractions started first this time.  I labored at home for 2 hours and then headed to the hospital.  My midwife met me there and stayed with me the whole time.  I had no drugs at all, no tearing, no stitiches, nothing.  It was the most amazing experience of my life.  I think that midwives are just better at giving more attention to patients bc its a part of the midwifery model of care.  OB training is much different.  I would never go back to an OB after having a midwife!

:)AJ

:)AJ Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I also go to the UNMC midwives, and I love them. They take tons of time compared to the OB office I transfered from when we moved, and they act like every questions DH or I ask is totally sensible (even when he asks what a vitamin K shot is for the 5th time.)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"