Pregnant after a Loss
Options

STTN (rant)

My baby girl is 8 months old and I have a secret...she still doesn't sleep through the night. I feel like some awful failure as a parent...so much so that I don't tell this little tidbit to people! Really because all everyone ever tells me is that we have to let her cry it out. Well, my husband and I don't want to do that. Are we freaks? It seems that is the only solution that people have that works. We're not really dedicated AP'ing but we do share a lot of AP thinking. For instance, I'm still BF'ing and DD sleeps in our bed usually after she wakes up the first time in the night. I know that I've become a human pacifier for her in the night. I'm THAT story from the 12 hour sleep solution book that the author uses as a horribly bad example. I'm what the Baby Whisperer refers to as an "accidental parent"! How awful is that! I've read book after book and they just make me feel like inadequate crap...then my friends all tell me that I have to let her CIO.

Am I alone? Will a baby learn to STTN on her own? What are other options than CIO? I mean she has to get to a point where she'll sleep longer right? My mom said that she never did CIO with my sister or me (we are 32 and 28) and we LOVE sleep!

Re: STTN (rant)

• Options
    Did you mean to post this on Parenting After a Loss? 
    Three losses in 2009, a miracle in 2010! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker The Method to My Madness, a PPD blog
  • Options

Mine just started last week. He's 15 months old. Sorry.

ETA: CIO didn't work for DS. He just learned to sleep through on his own.

Also, STTN is considered anything over 5 consecutive hours. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

none of my babies (so far) slept through the night before 9 months.  They were all between 9 and 11 months when they slept through the night.  I would get up and feed them a bottle in the middle of the night.  Their pedi would always tell me not to . . . but I did anyway.  Who was I to tell them they weren't hungry - LOL

My friend's daugher didn't sleep through the night until she was two.  My poor friend was exhausted all the time.

GL - she may do it soon - or in a few months.

• Options

Thanks! I know it's not great but I think I'm ok if it takes that long. Our baby wasn't exactly a preemie but she was taken out before she was ready due to some unsafe issues. I really think that has made her a more "clingy" baby. We've attempted less strict CIO techniques and they only make her more upset to the point that there would be no sleep in sight for anyone and then we usually abandon it.

At one point she was getting 5 consecutive hours but she's recently (in the past few weeks) reverted and is waking every 2-3 hours in the night.

• Options

I disagree with letting them CIO, I think they need peace and security to feel confident about sleeping.  DD still wakes in the night some nights, usually tells me she had a nightmare and needs mom or dad to help her get back to sleep. 

When she was tiny to keep her from crying alone we would stay in her room with her till she was back to sleep or close to it.  Started out holding her and slowly moved to the other side of the room and out in the hall till she was comfortable in her room alone.

• Options
    Staribeth, yes...before child I hung out on these boards more often...this is the board where I previously knew the most people even though it's been awhile. That's why I posted here : )
  • Options
    Are you nursing or formula feeding?
  • Options
    Actually a combo of both. She gets formula throughout the day mixed in with a few breast milk bottles. At dinner though, she has veg, cereal and a formula bottle then I nurse her before bedtime, we read and then rock her to sleep. I feel like she's getting enough food to sustain her through the night with all of that.
  • Options
    Have you considered weaning a feeding or two at night? That's what helped DS. We did progressive weaning and it took a few weeks to go down to 3 from 6. From there we got it down to one and now he has started to sleep all night.
  • Options
    I know this is a completely silly question. I think weaning a feeding might help but I'm not sure how to get her back to sleep other than feeding her! What did you do for your LO when he woke to eat but you were weaning?
  • Options
    When I worked him down to not nursing I held him for a bit and then laid him back down. Then I would just lay him back down when he got up. It helps to have a lovey or music machine. We have both with DS, but he only uses the lovey all night. The music monitor helps him to get to sleep.
  • Options

Have you read "Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child"?  Dr. Weissbluth is a sleep expert and even if you don't agree with CIO, it's an amazing book about the biology of sleep.  He suggests that many babies aren't ready to wean from night nursing until after 9 months- I had the same problem with my baby- and it did get better with age, I defintely second the suggestion for a lovely and music machine- we still use them with my now 2 year old if she wakes up at night.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"