Babies: 9 - 12 Months

MIL Overstepping Boundaries!

So MIL doesn't really understand boundaries. She likes to just come over unannounced whenever she feels like it and just walks right in.  I tried to stop this by always keeping the doors locked and having DH ask her to always call.

So then she would call before coming over, BUT would come over even if we didn't answer, saying "I tried to call". Or she would call and ask from our DRIVEWAY.

When we were out of town for easter she broke in through a window to get in our house! WTF. Then today I find a fake rock in our front yard with a key in it. OUR house key!!! Turns out she made a ton of copies to make sure she never gets locked out.

I am beyond piiissed. That is all. Sorry it's long.

ETA: I am changing the locks tomorrow.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: MIL Overstepping Boundaries!

• Ummm that is creepy! All of our family lives in the midwest and I don't have this problem, but if my MIL was breaking into my house or using her own key to get in, I would have a HUGE problem.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Due December 16, 2012! BabyFruit Ticker
  • What?? I would throw the fake rock at her windshield next time she pulls up unannounced.!

I would not mind the visiting part so much but if my own mom copied my key or climbed through the window I would flip out! DH needs to talk to her!

• Loading the player...
  • That's way way way beyond over stepping boundaries.

It's time for a serious talk or else it's just going to get worse.

What does your DH say about that?

Oh, and I agree with changing the locks.

Another thing you can do is always be ready to leave when she comes. Just tell her you have plans and that next time she should call. And designate a set time that she can come visit, like Thursday at 2...or whatever.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That's unacceptable.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• um ....

I would stop her dead in her tracks by giving the police a phone call and then having them call her.

No joke.  SHE BROKE IN?  If it were my house that would def. not happen again or I'd call the cops and have her ass arrested.  That is really messed up.

• God, that is so creepy! I think I would go crazy if my MIL did something like this. And I know for a fact, DH would not like this at all. Hopefully, your DH will say something to her.
  • What a freak! Glad you're changing the locks.
  • I want to think this is MUD since I can't believe people are truly this ridiculous. Definitely change your locks and do not give her a key! Maybe try clearer boundaries. I know you said call first, but tell her she has to call at least 1 hour ahead (or whatever works for you guys). If she shows up earlier, either don't answer the door or open it, tell her you can't have any visitors until X time then shut it again. And I certainly hope she is replacing that window. If she does that again, call the cops.
  • DH and I just now had a HUGE talk about this. He is going to now have a big talk with her.

When we first toldher about this she had a hard time understanding that it is not about her visiting, it is the way she  is going about it.

I do want to have a good relationship with her, she is just making it hard. There is another awesome story I could tell you about the day Halston was born.....but that is a lot of typing :).

• imageShellbelle22:
    I want to think this is MUD since I can't believe people are truly this ridiculous. Definitely change your locks and do not give her a key! Maybe try clearer boundaries. I know you said call first, but tell her she has to call at least 1 hour ahead (or whatever works for you guys). If she shows up earlier, either don't answer the door or open it, tell her you can't have any visitors until X time then shut it again. And I certainly hope she is replacing that window. If she does that again, call the cops.

Oh man do I wish this was MUD. My life would be so muc easier.

• OMG, I was right there w/ you until the breaking of the window.  That is INSANE!  WTF is wrong w/ her!  Hope it gets better soon!
    Our miracle IVF baby - D 6/09 & J - Surprise! born 9/10!!!
  • imageKaylaH:

DH and I just now had a HUGE talk about this. He is going to now have a big talk with her.

When we first toldher about this she had a hard time understanding that it is not about her visiting, it is the way she  is going about it.

I do want to have a good relationship with her, she is just making it hard. There is another awesome story I could tell you about the day Halston was born.....but that is a lot of typing :).

Omg I am dying to know!

• Wow!  That's definitely overstepping boundaries.  I have no words.

I know someone IRL who has a MIL like this.  He's come home from work to find his MIL sitting on their couch (while his wife isn't there) watching TV and eating chips.  A couple times!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• It's nice to hear that I am not being over sensitive (not that I thought I was ;) ).

Halston is calling....but I will type the other story for Dulaney later!

• My mil shares her craziness. She pushed it so far that she is no longer welcome to be part of our family. Put your foot down hard now or it will get worse! It got very scary for us!
  • My MIL sounds very similar. Last summer she housesat for her brother, and made herself a copy of his key. A few months later they went out of town for the weekend, and when they came back she was in their house. She said she just stopped by to "check on things" while they were gone, but they hadn't asked her to, and she'd obviously been staying over because the bed was unmade and she had an overnight bag with her!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My MIL used to come to our house and drop things off all the time when we weren't home.  I didn't really mind until she once told us that she had sat down and watched a movie.  It was just weird.  She has her own house to  watch movies in, why are you coming to our house when we aren't home. 

We now have an alarm (not because of the IL's) and the IL's do not have a passcode, so no more "stopping by".

I hope your DH can get through to your MIL.  That is just beyond over stepping boundaries. Good luck.

• imagetxbabs111:
    What a freak! Glad you're changing the locks.

I think your MIL is C-R-A-Z-Y  .... for sure change you locks but how are you going to stop her by coming in the window? you should get an alarm system and not tell her shen she comes in your window the police show up LOL ... LOL

• What?!? I would be LIVID. And I'm glad you are changing the locks ASAP. She sounds like she's one sandwich short of a picnic.
  • WOW!! That is beyond overstepping boundaries!  Good Idea about changing the locks! What a creepy lady! Not to mention that someone else could have found the fake rock or where ever else she might be hiding keys and "break" in to your home. Best of luck!
  • I b!tched my MIL out for opening our mail a couple of times and I had to threaten to go to the authorities in order to get her to stop. Had she broken into my house, I would have pressed charges and changed the locks. Some people will never understand boundaries until people involve the cops.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"