Babies: 3 - 6 Months

PSA: Sunscreen

Re: PSA: Sunscreen

• sam19sam19 member
    This is awesome info! Looks like I have some sunscreen to take back to the store. Glad I hadn't opened it yet.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker NATALIE - 9/13/09 HANNAH - 6/8/12
  • Woohoo, Glad I read to the bottom before I went and looked.  My sunblock is on the list!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm really curious about safety info on sunscreen for pregnant women. There is REMARKABLY little info about that available anywhere, and I'm about to take a vacation to the Caribbean. It seems odd to me that you can find all kinds of info on what nail polish to use (ten little nails!) but nothing on sunscreen, which you're going to repeatedly slather all over the largest organ of your body!
  • This is exactly the advice I get from my dermatologist! Thanks for sharing it with everyone!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Great info, thank you so much :):)
  • imageskinnursemandee:

It seems everyday someone asks about sunscreen. So I thought I would give my 2 cents since well skin is my profession. I am a dermatology Nurse Practitioner and have been practicing dermatology for 12 years thus I see children and adults everyday in regards to skin, skin cancer etc and this includes being in the know in regards to the safety of sunscreen.

First let me start by saying there is a big difference between Sunscreen and Sunblock

Suncreen is 100% NOT safe for infants under 6 months old. Honestly I would never put sunscreen on my child at any age Period. Sunscreen is a chemical blocker that use simply gets absorbed into the top of the skin in a chemical thus reflecting the suns rays and not allowing them to penetrate. These chemicals however are not safe for infants.

Sunblock is a Physical sunblocker which is 100% safe from the day your child is born up to the very elderly. Sunblock is a product that literally creates a shield on the top of your skin and get absorbed and will block out the harmful rays.

Many companies Mislabel their products calling themselves sunscreen and sunblock interchangebly.  You need to look for the active ingredient.

Avobenzont; Homosalate; Octisalate, Octocrylene  and Oxybenzone, : ARE CHEMICAL BLOCKERS aka Sunscreen. NEVER use this on your child this is what pediatricians do not want you to use on your children.

Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide as the active ingredients is a PHYSICAL BLOCKER and this is absolutely safe for your child at birth. As noted with the American Academy of Dermatology. THe active ingredients are actually pretty much the same as diaper rash paste.

The key is putting it on 30 minutes before going outside. Physical blockers need time to get absorbed into the top layers of the skin. ALso you must reapply every 2 hours of continuous sun exposure. Long sleeve shirts, wide brim hats and sunglasses are also recommended. They sell bathing suit coverups and bathing suits with a UV protection.

Recommended Sunblocks by the AAD are as Follows:

Neutrogena Sensitive Skin

Neutrogena Pure and Free

Blue Lizard

California Baby

That is pretty much it and its a short list. Most of the issue with sunscreen and babies origionally came from PABA however that is rarely if ever used. The use of chemical sunscreens nowadays can cause your child to develop a contact allergy.

ETA: I am currently a SAHM for the next year or two so I actually have not worked in derm since my daughter was born.

I'm a pediatric dermatology PA at a children's hospital, and I couldn't agree with you more! I personally use Blue Lizard on my DD!

Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have a quick question for you.  Can you recommend a sunscreen for babies that are allergic to Zinc-oxide?  (All zinc products).  Thanks!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Missed m/c 10/25/10 @ 11.5 weeks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• This is fantastic information.  I get severe photo-sensitive contact dermititis from chemical sunscreens.  It's absolustely horrible - itchy, pus-filled blisters covering my body.  Unfortunately, it took 4 years to get a correct diagnosis.  I wish my mother had this information 30 years ago, because I'm sure that years of exposure to chemical sunscreens caused my allergy.

I second Neutrogena Sensitive.  It is pretty gross and thick, but it works well.

• imageMissJay74:

Wow, this is wonderful information thank you so much.

I saw that you like the Neutrogena products; I use the Neutrogena Spectrum Sunblock SPF 100.  Does the spf number make a difference? Am I better off with a 35 vs 100? Also, I cycle on the weekends and spend a total of 6 hours under the sun, I was told by a dermatologist to put the sunscreen on the night before a ride so the skin would absorb it and then to reapply 30 mins before I went out, what are your thoughts on this?

My understanding is that those SPF ratings are all for chemical sunscreens.  That Neutrogena Spectrum SPF 100 is chemical.  I believe physicial sunblocks are all SPF 30. 

• Ohhhh my goodness!! Thank you SO much for sharing this!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

• sfl
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Making lefse at the cabin **Scott 6/8/96** **Avery 7/24/08** **Brendan 7/15/10**
  • Thanks so much! This is really good to know ; )
  • Saving for reference.
    I was the BEST mom....until I became a mother. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was just looking at my face lotion that I wear daily (I wear stronger sunblock if I am going to be outside in the sun).

The active ingredients are octinaxate(6%) and zinc oxide(3%). I guess I am just wondering about the octinoxate since I wasn't on either list.

• Thanks for all the information!

Michelle

• thank you for the info, I need to get the right stuff.
  • can I ask you how long sunblock lasts for? I have a tube thats unopened from last summer from california babies....can I still use it now? I probably bought it around august. 

Thanks for the info. I am having a june baby and was nervous about what happens if I have to put sunblock on her...now I feel better.  

• Thanks for posting!  Saving for later.
  • SFL!   Great information!  Glad I've been using CA Babies and Blue Lizard and will definitely continue to do so. 
  • imageskinnursemandee:

Citric acid absolutely not! Babies should have no contact with anything citrus or citric acid until I believe they are 1 year old.

That's not true.  They used to say to avoid it, partly because it can cause some acidic poops and diaper rash and partly because it could be a potential allergen.  They have since changed their stance according to my ped and are not telling moms to avoid potential allergens as vigorously.  The "wait it out" approach did not lead to lower incidences of allergies in children. 

Now, whether it should be applied to the skin or not, I don't know.

• I haven't read all of the responses... but another one to add maybe is Mustela High Protection Sun Lotion.  It has SPF 50 and the active ingredients are Titanium Dioxide 11.1% and Zinc Oxide 5%.
  • Thanks!  SFL
    Our kids are 19mths apart and we LOVE it!!

Married to my BFF on 8.13.05 (after dating 5 years)!

DS born 2.14.08. DD born 9.30.09.

• This is GREAT information, thanks for posting it!!  FWIW, I have used Blue Lizard on the kids since they were babies and I LOVE IT SOOO MUCH!  It's the ONLY sunblock I've ever used that actually makes the water bead up on their skin and keep them protected for hours.  It's expensive, but SO worth it.  I got 2 8oz bottles at drugstore.com for $40 and while that seems like a lot, those two bottles will last me ALL summer, if not more, for all 4 kids.  And the only place I can ever find it in store is at the grocery store, for $10 for 3oz., so the drugstore.com deal was obviously worth it.  :D
  • I use California Baby, but I'm definitely still saving this to refer to in the future.  Thanks so much for posting this,
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • sfl.  Thank you!
  • Hi, do you know anything about Soleo?  I was in Florida last week and used this brand on my 7 1/2 month old.  It was rated highly by the Environmental Working Group.  (along with California Baby)
  • Do you have an opinion on Jason's Sunbrella's products?

I think we've been using the 30SPF on DS... I apply in the am before we go out and reapply as we're out during the day if we're in the sun for any prolonged period of time (say we go to the playground vs. just getting in and out of the car to run errands). 

this is the ingredient list:

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (8.0%), Zinc Oxide (2.5%)

Inactive Ingredients: Aqua (Purified Water), C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Vegetable Caprylic (Capric Triglyceride), Sorbitan Isostearate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Calcium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Ethyl Macadamiate, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Laurate, Stearalkonium Hectorite, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Anthemis Nobilis (Roman Chamomile) Flower Extract (Certified Organic), Castor Oil Phosphate, Calendula (Calendula Officinalis) Flower Extract (Certified Organic), Propylene Carbonate, Magnesium Sulfate, Benzyl Alcohol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate

• One more question - if I buy the Blue Lizard do I buy the baby version for my kids or the regular? Is there a major difference?
  • image~Brittany&Dusty~:
    WOW, thank you so much for this! I thought I was ok because I was using Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Sunblock Lotion SPF 55 but I just checked out the ingredients and its definitely sunscreen! Here is a list of the active ingredients: Avobenzone 3%, Homosafate 10%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 2.8%, Oxybenzone 6%

Erg. Me too. :( Neutrogena, here I come.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"