Success after IF
Options

diaper champ = waste of money

Just in case any pregnant ladies are considering this, here's my opinion on it...

It contains smells alright, but I HATE that you can't tell when it's getting full.  You'll go to put a diaper in and it gets jammed.  This especially sucks in the middle of the night because you have nowhere to put the diaper and then you have to either change the bag out (which is noisy) or throw the diaper away elsewhere and remember to change the bag out in the morning.

I ended up getting rid of it and just getting a Safety First small trash can type thing.  No refill bags to pay for, no jamming, and I can tell when it's getting full.  Much easier to deal with, and much cheaper!

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: diaper champ = waste of money

• Options
    We got the Diaper Champ and I like it because the "piston" won't go down easily when it's getting full.  But once it stops going all the way down - you can still force it down for another couple diapers - which gives you the notice you need to change out the bag! 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

I just got a diaper pail ($16) at BRU's and have no problem with smells. It's very nice and will get another one for downstairs.

I have heard the same complaint from other moms about the diaper champ.

Savannah
    image.
    Callista
    Baby Trail Blog
    "Someday we will look at our babies and know it will be worth it. If it was easy, we would not have had our babies, the babies we were meant to have." From Amy052006
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our arm and hammer diaper pail is still in the box waiting to get returned to babies r us. I def plan on taking ur advice and just getting a ss trashcan with scented bags.
  • Options
    Also- we use regular trash bags.  You dont' have to use the Diaper Champ bags!  We did try them and they sucked- fewer diapers fit in them.  W/ regular bags, I'm able to force more diapers in (like I said, so that I'm not stuck in the middle of the night having to change it out)
    ~Benjamin Franklin

• Options
    Thanks for the tip, I just took it off my registry.  I will just get scented disposable bags to throw the diapers in.
  • Options

imageEastCoastBride:
    Also- we use regular trash bags.  You dont' have to use the Diaper Champ bags!  We did try them and they sucked- fewer diapers fit in them.  W/ regular bags, I'm able to force more diapers in (like I said, so that I'm not stuck in the middle of the night having to change it out)

I didn't know Diaper Champ made bags.  I used kitchen bags.

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

• Options
    imagekimarino13:

imageEastCoastBride:

I didn't know Diaper Champ made bags.  I used kitchen bags.

Oh- you had commented about "no refill bags" so I assumed you used the Diaper Champ bags!  Sorry.  But yes, they do make them and they are smaller than normal garbage bags and REALLY crinkly. 

They said they help w/ the smell more then normal bags, so we thought we'd give them a try.  Yeah.... not again.

~Benjamin Franklin

• Options
    Oh sorry, I meat refill bags like ones that come with some of the other trash cans like the Diaper Genie and a couple others.  :)

• Options
    LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! your siggy pic!!
  • Options
    We got the Diaper Genie Elite II because everyone hated the Champ so much.  Although I have no illusions that even the Diaper Genie will work well.  We thought we'd start off with it, but I'm sure we'll be reduced to bagging diapers individually which was our plan in the first place.
  • Options

imagesamk213:
    We got the Diaper Genie Elite II because everyone hated the Champ so much.  Although I have no illusions that even the Diaper Genie will work well.  We thought we'd start off with it, but I'm sure we'll be reduced to bagging diapers individually which was our plan in the first place.

Please don't try to ruin my delusions in this last few weeks before the reality of stinky diapers settles in!!  Although in our bf class they said that babies sh!t don't stink until after some time!  Then I can be delusional longer!!

• Options

I can see how it can be annoying when it getts filled up. We try to change it as often as possible and like pp said..force one more down if we have to. Now that DD is older and there are not as many diapers to change..it hasn't become too much of a problem..In fact, if I get stuck with a peepee diaper that wont fit..I leave it in the slot till the morning. We too use regular bags..no wasting money on refills!!

I do think it is one of the best at keeping the smell in...

Oh and OMG your siggy is insanely ADORABLE!!!! Love them!!!!

• Options

I can see how it can be annoying when it getts filled up. We try to change it as often as possible and like pp said..force one more down if we have to. Now that DD is older and there are not as many diapers to change..it hasn't become too much of a problem..In fact, if I get stuck with a peepee diaper that wont fit..I leave it in the slot till the morning. We too use regular bags..no wasting money on refills!!

I do think it is one of the best at keeping the smell in...

Oh and

• Options

right now, I think my plan is to have a diaper duck with scented bags on our changing table, and either throwing the individually wrapped diapers into a regular trash can with a lid in the nursery, or just walking them down to the trash shoot down the hall (we live in a high rise).    i just hear too many conflicting things about the diaper systems to make me think they are worth it.

ETA:    and holy cow, I LOVE YOUR SIGGY!!!

Brought to you by IVF, ICSI, limited fert, and oocyte cryopreservation.
    Because we're fancy like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imageladychicago:

i just hear too many conflicting things about the diaper systems to make me think they are worth it.

ditto this too..if we didn't already have the champ, we wouldn't waste our money.

• Options

We haven't had any issues with the Diaper Champ.  While it certainly kept the poo smell in better when he was younger and not having "adult" poos, it does the job.  We change the bag about 1-2x a week and by that last day it really does stink.  Also, when you put a used diaper in it and flip it over, you do get a scent too.

But overall its done fine by us.  Not sure what would be better.  All of the diaper pails have pros and cons and none of them do exactly what we need them to do - change the diaper for us!

Allison
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We just have a regular little metal trash can with a lid that opens/closes with a foot pedal.  We use plastic shopping bags for liners.  It contains odors just fine! 
    Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
    LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
    LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I use the DIaper Genie Elite II because of the problems I heard with the Diaper Champ. I like the Genie but next time I don't think we will waste our money on it. It works well and we don't have to empty it as often now as he is older.
  • Options

I love our diaper champ.  Basically we empty it every trash day (of course, with two this may not work which may be the issue).  And when we empty it (yes, it is loud, we do it when she is already awake) whew!  that sucker stinks...so we know it is containing the smell very well.

Just another perspective.  We have 2, 1 for each floor and am quite pleased with our purchases.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

we use it and are fairly happy with it.  you have to change it or it gets stuck.  but  i never knew why ppl said it smelled but finally it started smelling more when DS got on solids.  but....now we use a regular garbage can

i may still use the diaper champ again.

• Options
    FYI you can get Deoderizing Discs at cottonbabies.com for your regular pail.  Most of those pails have a place to insert a deo disc, they work really well at masking the smell and are relatively cheap.
  • Options
    imageMBandBud:

imagesamk213:

Please don't try to ruin my delusions in this last few weeks before the reality of stinky diapers settles in!!  Although in our bf class they said that babies sh!t don't stink until after some time!  Then I can be delusional longer!!

As a pp mentioned, I don't think a perfect solution exists.  Every diaper pail has it's pros and cons.  We have the Diaper Genie Elite II and have been happy with it.  We have not noticed it smelling until recently when it is pretty full and you open it to put another diaper in.   I figured we got atleast a good 10 months plus out of it.  I can't imagine putting every dirty diaper in an individual bag or having to carry a dirty diaper to the trash can in the upstairs bathrooms or downstairs after every diaper change. 

• Options
    Yeah, maybe it's because we have twins and I don't change it every day.  We only use it for overnight diapers because the rest of the diapers are changed downstairs on the PNP.  I just wish you could somehow see inside it to see when it was getting full.  It's so annoying when it jams.

• Options

I had the Diaper Champ and sold it....it was still pretty much brand new.  It does contain the smell but I found it holds too many diapers so by the time you change it, there is a festering bag of grossness in there.

Then we switched to a regular can with a lid.  That contained the smell but when you would open the can....wow!  stinko.

So now I put the stinky diapers outside in a separate can right away.  I have two that love to poo all day long so sometimes I have to open the door often to put them out, but it works for me.

So in my opinion, it is an okay can if you want to change it more often and not let it get full before changing it.  Otherwise I found you had to lysol it all out to remove the smell.

• Options
    imagedesabean:

I love our diaper champ.  Basically we empty it every trash day (of course, with two this may not work which may be the issue).  And when we empty it (yes, it is loud, we do it when she is already awake) whew!  that sucker stinks...so we know it is containing the smell very well.

Just another perspective.  We have 2, 1 for each floor and am quite pleased with our purchases.

I agree...I love ours.  We also have 2, so we only empty once a week on trash day.  It rarely fills up, but as soon as I can tell hit doesn't flip smoothly, I know I'm a couple of diapers away from needing to empty it. 

• Options
    We never purchased a diaper champ or anything along those lines.  We just used our regular trash can in the kitchen and emptied it daily.  Then when Maddy's diapers started to get stinky, we bought a stainless step trash can with a lid and we use that and empty it daily.  I also clean the inside with bleach and water once a week and spray the inside with lysol daily.  It is good at keeping the odors inside but when you open the lid, oh boy, does it stink!  I don't think there is really any perfect solution out there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"