Secondary IF
Options

Sorry -- another question -- U/S gel

Does anyone know what the gel is that they use on the interal U/S probe? I'm wondering if it will kill any sperm that's deposited today!

Re: Sorry -- another question -- U/S gel

• Options

Oh thats a good question. Sorry to say but I am going to assume it will not be sperm-friendly. Very little is actually sperm-friendly and I doubt they would get sperm friendly u/s gel but you never know. I would ask!

Let us know what you find out! 

Our Girls
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    AquinnahDori
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • Options
    Mine only uses water!! I would never have thougt to see,but as soon as she came in, she said dont worry, we only use water!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I asked the exact same question of my u/s tech.  She said that on days that you may have triggerable follies they use less of the gel than normal.  My monitoring appts were always early in the morning and by the time it came time to trigger and DTD it would have been gone.

HTH! 

• Options
    I feel like mine puts the gel under the "condom" type thing - do they put more on top?

And "sperm deposited" = timed intercourse or IUI? Because with IUI, the seminal fluid is washed away and they place SPERM ONLY in the uterus (past where any u/s gel would be) and even if they reflux, they don't live regardless because there's no seminal fluid for them to use to swim back - one of those crappy catch 22 situations.

If TI you're talking about, I agree with Hoping4more - I doubt anything they use is really sperm friendly :( I'd love to know the answer though!!!
  • Options

imagesommerrayne:
    I feel like mine puts the gel under the "condom" type thing - do they put more on top?

And "sperm deposited" = timed intercourse or IUI? Because with IUI, the seminal fluid is washed away and they place SPERM ONLY in the uterus (past where any u/s gel would be) and even if they reflux, they don't live regardless because there's no seminal fluid for them to use to swim back - one of those crappy catch 22 situations.

If TI you're talking about, I agree with Hoping4more - I doubt anything they use is really sperm friendly :( I'd love to know the answer though!!!

Mine definitely used gel on top of the condom (and she asked me to insert it myself... which was new).

We're just doing TI this cycle.

You'd think they'd use something sperm-friendly on my +OPK day, but I doubt it too! I wish I would've thought to ask before it was too late. I'll definitely bring it up next time I talk to them and I'll report back.

• Options
    Insert it yourself?! BIZARRE! I find laying there in stirrups with a huge sheet precariously draped around my legs uncomfortable enough, I can't imagine attempting to discretely coordinate "wanding" myself! Although, in the past few days I have, admittedly, mentioned that I wish I was married to Tom Cruise just for these few days so I could have an in-home ultrasound machine HAHHAHAHAHHA

I'm assuming they did it so it was "more comfortable" for you but I agree - STRANGE!
  • Options

imagesommerrayne:
    Insert it yourself?! BIZARRE! I find laying there in stirrups with a huge sheet precariously draped around my legs uncomfortable enough, I can't imagine attempting to discretely coordinate "wanding" myself! Although, in the past few days I have, admittedly, mentioned that I wish I was married to Tom Cruise just for these few days so I could have an in-home ultrasound machine HAHHAHAHAHHA

I'm assuming they did it so it was "more comfortable" for you but I agree - STRANGE!

LOL at "wanding" yourself! She seriously just handed it to me and was like "I'm going to let you insert the probe." It took me a minute to comprehend what she was asking me to do. I had problems w/ my cervix in my last pregnancy, so I'm no stranger to the transvaginal U/S, but this was quite a shock. Although physically it was actually more comfortable, overall it was awkward.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"