Connecticut Babies
Options

Moving to Fairfield Cty - commute info needed

I live in NC right now but DH and I are likely moving to the Stamford area in June (DH has a job offer and we are just finishing up negotiating the terms but 90% he is going to accept the offer). 

We would like for DH to be no more than about a 30 min commute into Stamford everyday.  I know Darien and Greenwich are close but for the type of house we want, I think those towns are going to be a little out of our price range.  We are thinking maybe Norwalk or Wesport?  How long of a commute into Stamford everyday from there during rush hour?  Ridgefield and Weston look nice too but I have a feeling that is going to be a longer commute than we would prefer.  What about Stamford itself?  Housing prices look cheaper in general than other parts of Fairfield County but I assume there is a reason for that. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Moving to Fairfield Cty - commute info needed

• Options
    The traffic from Fairfield all the way to Stamford is a really rough commute.  The closer you are too Stamford the better if that is where your husband is working.  As far as places to live - Stamford has some good and some bad areas as does Norwalk but I wouldn't really be able to tell you much more than that.  Westport is beautiful, but definitely on the pricey side.  I know an excellent real estate agent if you are looking for one in the area!  Good Luck!
  • Options
    All I can say is try to work out your commute so you stay off 95 in the morning- it is a disaster with all the NYC commuters.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi..!

I actually lived in Ridgefield and worked in Stamford almost 8 years.  I took backroads, and unless the roads were bad due to snow/ice, my commute was about 40 minutes or so.  I simply took Route 35 to Route 124 (thru a portion of New York...Pound Ridge) onto High Ridge Road.

It's really not bad.  CT is really an odd state come to think of it.  If you like city-living, Stamford is definitely the way to go - but you will pay HIGH property taxes, the schools aren't that great, and the properties themselves are REALLY expensive.  If you go a bit higher up into Fairfield County (north-wise, not I-95 north), you will get a bit more bang for your buck, more land, more suburban living, and better school districts.

Greenwich, IMO, is a great place to live, but it's REALLY expensive.  The schools that used to be some of the best in the country, are no longer that great due to incorporation with Byram and Port Chester, NY, and a lot of government housing and Section 8 Housing being built. 

Norwalk, another city, and it's very much like Stamford except a little bit more suburban in some areas...but the schools aren't that good.

Westport is GREAT.  But...again, it's REALLY expensive, too.

Look into Ridgefield area, maybe Danbury, Weston, Redding, Bethel and Newtown...

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"