Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

brandy for teething vs. motrin/tylenol?

has anyone tried rubbing brandy on teething gums?  is this worse/not as bad as using motrin/tylenol?  i feel like i am giving my LOs motrin every other night...my pedi says it's OK, plus I don't give the full dosage...those damn molars and canines!  they are waking up at night, clingy, etc...i've heard of people using the brandy but am nervous...but i don't want to give giving motrin either.  plus i have twins, so it's a double wammy...

thanks!

Re: brandy for teething vs. motrin/tylenol?

• Is this a serious question?

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I haven't heard of anyone doing this since my grandparents generation! Why aren't you giving them the full dosage? The full dosage is what should help them get past the pain.
  • Loading the player...
  • Motrin & nighttime orajel works the best for us
  • If you're not giving the full dosage, you're probably not giving them enough to do any good.  I don't always like giving DS motrin either, but I don't think it does any harm and it makes him feel a lot better.  I certainly feel better about giving him medicine made for kids than giving him alcohol!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageGina418:
    I haven't heard of anyone doing this since my grandparents generation! Why aren't you giving them the full dosage? The full dosage is what should help them get past the pain.

This totally.  And hello, brandy is alcohol.  You got to be kidding me.

• give them the full dosage!  I had the same concern and our pedi said you can dose every six hrs for up to 7 days and not to stress about it.  I only gave ds motrin at bedtime so he said you could do it over the course of 28 days since it was equal to the 7 days...make sense??

brandy would only be a temporary relief anyway, and why give your lo booze??? 

• oh, sh*t! you're supposed to put it on their gums?! i thought i was just supposed to add a shot to his sippy cup.

oops.  well, no wonder he's sleeping so well!

• No, I would not use brandy or straight up liquor on my LO's gums. I mean, I'm glad you asked so that you now know it's not something to do. No liquor for the LOs.

It must be really hard going through teething x2. Yikes! But half a dose isn't going to help them. Give them the correct dose of Motrin, and try to hang in there. Eventually the teeth will break and the pain will subside and everyone will be back to baseline.

• imagePMJacobsen:

oh, sh*t! you're supposed to put it on their gums?! i thought i was just supposed to add a shot to his sippy cup.

Ha! That would explain your siggy picture.   : )

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Would 1/4 of a Tylenol help you? Probably not. It's fine to give them the full dosage. DS is pretty good about teething, but when he seems really uncomfortable, I give him Tylenol or Motrin. Once he seems to be feeling a little better, I stop giving it to him. No need to medicate him constantly until the teeth break through.

As far as the brandy, I wouldn't. It's not safe, and it doesn't work anyway. Alcohol does not numb the gums. It's just one of those things people did back in the day before they had things that do work, like full doses of Tylenol and Motrin.

• imagePMJacobsen:

oh, sh*t! you're supposed to put it on their gums?! i thought i was just supposed to add a shot to his sippy cup.

LOL

• imagePMJacobsen:

does this explain your siggy picture?

• Using brandy is like using orajel. You decide which is better for you child.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagefxz109:
    imagePMJacobsen:

does this explain your siggy picture?

fo' shizzle!  only, that day, we were out of brandy and he was hittin the hypnotiq

• You won't give your child a full dose of motrin (that her doctor has ok'd) but you think putting alcohol on her gums is ok?  I can't figure out why anyone would think that this is OK.
  • imagelmdbww:

Is this a serious question?

This.  I sure hope not.

• I'm assuming you got that advice from your mom or grandmother?  I know my mom said she did that with me when I was teething... Of course, times have changed and that's no longer an appropriate remedy - I'm sure if you asked your pedi, he/she would agree.

Go ahead and give the full dosage!  It will help, not hurt as long as you are not exceeding the recommended dosing instructions (or your pedi's instructions).  Teething is tough - hang in there!  Hyland's teething tablets are good too; also you can alternate Motrin and Tylenol if it makes you feel better.  Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Definitely don't use the Brandy since there isn't an acceptable level of alcohol for a baby.  They are so small that any amount runs the risk of alcohol poisoning.  If you don't like giving Motrin all the time, try oragel or Hylands teething tablets or gel.  It's holistic (Hylands) so it soothes them while helping with the pain but make sure you only give the recommended dose and you can save the Motrin for the the really bad times.
  • Ha!  My first word was "scotch" because my parents put it on my gums, (and yet now I don't drink, how's that for irony?).  Keep in mind, though, that was almost 29 years ago.  Please don't do this.  I know teething sucks, but please don't give your child brandy, lol.
    Proud mom to Jeremy (10/24/08) and Gabriel (4/25/11)
  • I like a Mike's Hard Lemonade myself...but I give DS alternating doses of motrin and tylenol for his teeth.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"