Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Step-Grandparents???

My husband's parents are divorced and my MIL has remarried.  They did not divorce until my husband was living on his own and we refer to my MIL's husband by his first name.   I am having a hard time dealing with what the step-grandfather should be called.  I feel that since my husband doesn't refer to him as dad that he shouldn't be called grandpa.  I also feel that by calling him grandpa this could hurt my FIL, since he is called grandpa, and could be very confusing for my son. My son is almost 13 months and has started to say Da Da when his dad is around and he is starting to associate words with objects.  

I also am having a hard time with the fact that the step-grandfather thinks he should be called grandpa.  This is so hard for me since we have only known this person for almost 5 years.  I don't feel that my son should have to call him grandpa. 

Anyway, I am starting to ramble.  I hope this makes sense.  Anyone else have this dilemma?  Anyone have any suggestions??  Thanks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Step-Grandparents???

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I would think of another "grandpa like" name that is not grandpa or granddad in deference to your FIL's feelings.  One of my granddads was "Gumpy," a great granddad was "Bompa" DH calls his granddad "grandapple" b/c his last name ends wth apple. If you and your DH have a close relationship with your MIL and your S-FIL is willing (sounds like he is) then it sounds like he will definitely take on a grandfatherly role and it would be nice for him to have a special name without being grandpa.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    InvBKInvBK member
    Grandpa Lastname sounds appropriate.  My "stepgrandfather" is my grandfather to me and I call him "Pop-Pop."  My DD's stepgrandfather is called "Poppy" even though DH and I call him by his first name.  On the other hand, if you are not close to him at all and he will not be assuming the role of a grandfather figure in the lives of your children, then you should be able to have your kids call him whatever you and DH are comfortable with.
  • Options
    We have 3 step grandparents and two are like yours, married after we were out of the house.  The one that dh grew up with as his step dad is definitely grandpa.  The one prefers to be called by her first name(her kids are young and she doesn't want to be grandma anyways). The third is still called grandpa even though I slightly feel like you do about it.  My nieces are 15 and 10 and they call him grandpa(his first name) so we'll prob do the same when ds is old enough to say that.  
  • Options

are there other grandkids?  What do they call him?  Why not ask him or MIL what they would prefer?

We call my SFIL Grandpa.  (Bampa is how it comes out)

• Options

My step-cousin calls her stepfather (who is my uncle) by his first name "Jim".  My aunt and uncle have been together since my cousin was small though.  My cousin's kids call my uncle "Poppa Jim".  They call their real grandfather "Grandad" 

I would consider using a variation of Grandpa....along with his first or last name

• Options

my dad's wife is grammy (or grammy firstname if we need to differentiate between her and MIL), but we are close with her.

my mom's husband will have no contact with my kiddo for the most part and if we do, DS can call him Mr Lastname or Mr Firstname. i think it depends on the relationship you have, and what everyone involved is comfortable with. my mom will be very angry with me probably, but i am okay with that and i am NOT okay with DS having any sort of familiar relationship with her husband,

• Options

Ugh, that's tough. MIL insists on calling her boyfriend "papa Dave" to DD, and I can't stand it. He is her 4th "serious" relationship (including one marriage) since DH and I got together 6.5 years ago. I don't want DD getting attached to any of her harem.

Now, FIL is remarried to a woman he has been with since right before DH and I got together and I love her to death. She calls herself Mimi to DD and it doesn't bother me at all. 

I guess it just depends on your perspective. 

• Options

Considering I will be a "step-grandmother" one day, I'd like to be called Grandmother <first name>.

I don't see how it's confusing for a child.  They usually have more than one grandparent/uncle/aunt and they seem to figure out who is who.  

• Options

My MIL is remarried too and SFIL has been in DHs life since he was 12.  He is very much like a father to DH, and a great guy.  DH does not call him Dad.

My nephews and DD call him Papa.  (My dad is grandpa, and my FIL is also Papa.)

• Options
    Just use the first name - the real grandpa's feelings trump stepgrampys feelings
  • Options
    Both my parents are re-married and both after I was out of the house.  My dad only got married a couple years ago when I was pg with DS.  The way I see it is that DS has 3 sets of Grandparents.  My step-dad is Grandpa (maybe last name will be added on).  Step-mom is Gracky - that's what she wanted to be called.  I don't think it's that big of a deal.
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

DD's stepgrandma wanted to be called Grandma (First name).  I'm fine w/ it.  I think she's seen DD twice cause she lives in another state w/ FIL.  He's been out to see her more but he's still a stranger to DD.  She is just rediculous and won't ever have a real relationship w/ DD.  I care more about her having a relationship w/ my mother (Nana) and DH's mother (Grandma).

• Options
    DH has a step-mom that we refer to as Angie but she is Grandma Angie to DD. Maybe we are weird but I don't think there is anything wrong with DD calling her Gma and she came into the family 5 years ago.
  • Options
    Let FIL pick out his grandpa name and then let step-FIL pick out a different grandpa name. If step-FIL wants to be a grandpa to this baby, then that baby is lucky to have another grandparent to love on him.
  • Options

imageeowynmn:
    Just use the first name - the real grandpa's feelings trump stepgrampys feelings

Boo.

• Options
    imageEchowysp:

imageeowynmn:

Boo.

That is BS.

• Options

Well, I'm of the feeling that I don't think it would be confusing for both of them to be grandpa.  All of my grandparents were always just Grandpa and Grandma, and if we needed to differentiate, we'd throw in the last name or first name occasionally.

I will say - I have a step-mother, and she and I have never had the best relationship...and sometimes it's been downright awful.  But I followed her lead from day 1 on what she wanted to be called with my kids, and I was so happy the first time she referred to herself as "Grandma."  I'm just happy that she loves my kids unconditionally, and I think you should be too, if I'm being honest.  I personally think a kid can NEVER have too many grandparents.

• Options
    imageMrs.McLovin:
    imageEchowysp:

imageeowynmn:

Boo.

That is BS.

I have a feeling that I'll be feeling just as much of a "real" grandmother to my dss' kid as his mother will.  Whatever.

• Options

Both of my parents are remarried. DS was about 3 when both parents started dating their SO so he called them by their first name and never changed after they married. 

DD was born after they were married and they both are grandparent figures to her. My son gave my step mom the nickname Chirs because he couldn't say her full name so I refer to her as Grandma Chirs and an inside joke gone wrong came to her referring to my step dad as Grandpa in a different language. 

• Options
    My stepmom is Grandma, MIL is Nana, and my mom is Gammy. It all works out, and DD can tell the difference.
  • Options

I have a step-grandma, and we call her grammy, even though my mom and her siblings call her by her first name. DD has two step grandparents, and she calls them nana and grandpa, respectively. 

I don't have a lot of love for my step-dad, but I don't think kids need to be victims of family politics, if at all possible. I don't think it takes anything away from my dad's role as grandpa to have my step-dad also called grandpa. 

• Options
    imageEchowysp:
    imageMrs.McLovin:
    imageEchowysp:

imageeowynmn:

Boo.

That is BS.

I have a feeling that I'll be feeling just as much of a "real" grandmother to my dss' kid as his mother will.  Whatever.

That is BS probably coming from someone who hasn't been in such a situation.   

Lily has 3 grandmothers and 4 grandfathers since both my bio parents are on their 3rd marriages.  Each of them have a different name that they chose on their own.  There was no squabbles, no hurt feelings, etc. because everyone is an adult.  We have a Nana and Papa (DHs parents), Pap and Grammy (my Dad and his current wife), Grandma and Far Far (Mom and her current husband), and Pop Pop (Moms 2nd husband who raised me).  My Mom and her current husband got married when I was 28 weeks pregnant, so he has only been a part of our family for a few short months longer than Lily ::gasp:: but he is still an equal and he loves her as much as the rest. 

Kids can never have enough people who love them.  Most of the time it is the adults who ruin these situations.

On a personal note, I also had step-grandparents and they were amazing and never made me feel like I was anything less than my half-brother who was their bio grandchild.  That is what you should really be hoping for OP. 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options
    I am a stepmom and my 10 year old stepdaughter calls my parents Maggie (her name is Margaret) and my dad just Paul. I think calling he by his name, or a nickname variation is fine
  • Options
    imagepinksweetpea2:
    imageEchowysp:
    imageMrs.McLovin:
    imageEchowysp:

imageeowynmn:

Boo.

That is BS.

That is BS probably coming from someone who hasn't been in such a situation.   

Lily has 3 grandmothers and 4 grandfathers since both my bio parents are on their 3rd marriages.  Each of them have a different name that they chose on their own.  There was no squabbles, no hurt feelings, etc. because everyone is an adult.  We have a Nana and Papa (DHs parents), Pap and Grammy (my Dad and his current wife), Grandma and Far Far (Mom and her current husband), and Pop Pop (Moms 2nd husband who raised me).  My Mom and her current husband got married when I was 28 weeks pregnant, so he has only been a part of our family for a few short months longer than Lily ::gasp:: but he is still an equal and he loves her as much as the rest. 

Kids can never have enough people who love them.  Most of the time it is the adults who ruin these situations.

On a personal note, I also had step-grandparents and they were amazing and never made me feel like I was anything less than my half-brother who was their bio grandchild.  That is what you should really be hoping for OP. 

Exactly.  Why people feel the need to piss all over a title to "mark their territory" I'll never understand.  Insecurity, I guess.  Kids don't care how someone comes about the title, just that another adult loves them.  

• Options
    Do what you feel you are comfortable with. Don't let anyone make you feel bad or guilty about your decision. If you want your DC to call the step grand by their first name - fine. If you want a variation of grandpa - that's fine too. It's your kid and no one knows what your relationship is to the step grand nor do they know what the step grand's relationship is to your kid. I understand not wanting to hurt the biological grand's feeling...  Whatever name your DC calls any step grand shouldn't change the relationship.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"