Phoenix Babies
Options

First post-bachelor's job while pregnant?

I just found out that I'm about 3 weeks pregnant, and I am going to be graduating with my undergrad in about 5 weeks. I am going to need to work to pay for my student loans, but I need some advice on when/how/what I should do about getting a job. I really want to teach high school, but I am not graduating with my certification AND I would probably need my maternity leave around early December. I also hear that the first year of teaching is TOUGH and seems a little impossible if I am pregnant.

Insight PLEASE!!!

Re: First post-bachelor's job while pregnant?

• Options
    If you are looking into teaching, how about looking into the requirements of substitute teaching? My retired aunt (who wasn't a teacher for her career, looked into it, did whatever paperwork or test they needed) and has been substituting for the last few years.  She loves it, gets the pick of schools/ages/days she wants to work and follows the lesson plans that are already setup. She did do a few longer assignments than day-of when they knew in advance (she substituted twice for teachers out on maternity leave). So you have a few options, you could do the full time teaching thing, or it sounds kind substituting would give you the flexibility you'd need while pregnant and for maternity leave and get you some money as well as possibly finding you future employment for when you are ready to go back to teaching full time.  But if I remember correctly it didn't come with health benefits sooooo you'd have to make sure you'd have something set up for you and the baby. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

That's a great idea. I've been thinking about that. Luckily DH has the insurance for our family, so that's taken care of.

Thanks for the advice!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm a first year fourth grade teacher who just went on maternity leave.  This past year has been tough, particularly with mood swings when learning to deal with 10 year old boys when I was used to the junior high age.  It's been tough to work up to maternity leave and get things ready for that so I can imagine the position you'd be in while being due in December.

I would say that the suggestion of doing substitution positions would be your best option.  It's been pretty tough to get a teaching position around here.  My certification is from Illinois and I consider myself pretty blessed and lucky to be able to have a position.  Without your certification in high school, you will probably have a hard time.  If you really want to teach high school, try getting some long-term sub positions.  They give you more experience with lesson planning rather than just single day sub positions.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"