2nd Trimester

How often is a girl mistaken for a boy, in utero?

Obviously I'm not looking for statistical numbers here, but just want to know how many of you had this happen, or know someone that it happened to?

We had our big u/s on Wednesday (and I was 19w1d). The u/s tech seemed almost... unsure? She didn't say that but her pointing out the penis just seemed rather "Oh there's...something there". I could see something stick out but it wasn't anything huge (Sorry little guy!)

I know most docs don't recommend gender predictions until 20 weeks so I'm wondering if since I was a bit early it made it harder to determine? And if that means when I go for my 3D one at 24weeks we'll find out something different?

We're not going to buy anything too boy-ish in the mean time. 

But did anyone get a wrong gender prediction at first around 19 weeks?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: How often is a girl mistaken for a boy, in utero?

• Do you have a u/s pic you can pip? They should definitely be able to tell at 19 weeks what you're having.
  • I found out boy at 16 weeks, and it was confirmed at 19 and 21 weeks.. I would think at 19 weeks its hard to mistake girl for boy but I could be wrong !
    Lucas Edward | Aiden Anthony
                07.30.10          08.17.12           
  • Loading the player...
  • imageCaymandreams:
    Do you have a u/s pic you can pip? They should definitely be able to tell at 19 weeks what you're having.

Sadly, no. Well we got one pic but it's only torso and head. There was all this drama with my appt (they lost my booking and a nice u/s tech squeezed me in when I started crying.. ugh). So it all seemed rather rushed. But I've been thinking about the sex thing since she told us. Mostly because I had been having girl feelings (which I know isn't science!) and then her ... lack of decisiveness made me unsure. 

• My girl was mistaken for a boy, but at 15 weeks. I think most of the oopsies are when people "find out" too soon. That said, if you don't think she seemed certain...wait until your next ultrasound to buy boy things. (or keep reciepts!)

• At 17 weeks they told me I was having a boy.  However at 20 weeks they told me it was a girl.  I hated having to tell people the sex was wrong because they all insisted on asking if I was "sure" this time.  However, other than that it didn't bother me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • The u/s tech was super certain with us that it's a boy.  The doctor came in and did say that sometimes the umbilical cord can play tricks in the ultrasound so there is a margin of error, even when they tell you boy.
  • i think it really depends on the position of the baby. for our 20 week u/s, the tech was "pretty sure" it's a girl, but given that they usually say it's a girl if they're unsure, i didn't put too much stock in it (although i had a feeling it was a girl before she even said anything). at our last u/s earlier this week, the tech confirmed it's a girl and showed us labia but... i don't know. until the baby gets here and shows us the goods, i'm always a little skeptical.
  • We were told "boy" at several ultrasounds- 12 weeks, 15 weeks, 18 weeks... Then, at our big ultrasound, the tech showed us the she is 100% "girl" Stick out tongue
  • My brother was told at their 20 week u/s that he was having another son; naturally, his first son was SO excited to have a baby brother!  Two weeks prior to the due date, another u/s was needed to check amniotic fluid.  The doc said to my brother, "good news, fluid looks great - your daughter is doing beautifully!"  My brother's face: Indifferent But of course, he loves his little girl and can't imagine things any other way now.
  • Thanks everyone! I know they can never be 100% sure, and I was prepared for a margin of uncertainty. I guess I'll just hold off on buying too much boy stuff (and yes, keeping receipts!). The good news is I have two nephews so I won't even have to buy TOO much boys stuff. So if I find out at the 3D that it's a girl, THEN I can start some shopping.

I figured 19 weeks is far enough along (since I've been seeing most people there was a mistake when early predicitons were made) but it all just seems so indefinite to me. 

Thanks for the advice and stories! I'll keep you updated when I find out more.

• image0danielle0:
    We were told "boy" at several ultrasounds- 12 weeks, 15 weeks, 18 weeks... Then, at our big ultrasound, the tech showed us the she is 100% "girl" Stick out tongue

And how many weeks were you at your big U/s? 20? That's crazy. Congrats on your girl!

• Three of my friends were pregnant at the same time and it happened to one of them they said boy and then at her 4D and 3D session they told her girl at like 32 weeks I went around all day with her returning and exchanging Jeremiah's stuff for Jasmine's :/
    photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LCB34LCB34 member

At my 16, 18, and 19 week ultrasounds it was VERY clear that my little girl did not have anything between her legs.

By 19 weeks there won't be much confusion as to what the baby is (as long as they got a good view).

• imageMrsBNDO:
    My brother was told at their 20 week u/s that he was having another son; naturally, his first son was SO excited to have a baby brother!  Two weeks prior to the due date, another u/s was needed to check amniotic fluid.  The doc said to my brother, "good news, fluid looks great - your daughter is doing beautifully!"  My brother's face: Indifferent But of course, he loves his little girl and can't imagine things any other way now.

Wow! I'm surprised he didn't faint! And two weeks prior! I guess they had some girly things to buy in those 2 weeks! 

I know I've heard of it happening but it still always amazes me when I hear about a baby being delivered and it's a different sex then they thought. I can't imagine the shock!

• imageLCB34:

At my 16, 18, and 19 weeks ultrasounds it was VERY clear that my little girl did not have anything between her legs.

But 19 weeks there won't be much confusion as to what the baby is (as long as they got a good view).

That's what I figured too (that 19 weeks is far enough along) but I think it was just the way she said it. That "See you can see..something in there." Maybe she just didn't feel comfortable saying penis? (Which would be odd for a u/s tech!) But yeah, we'll tell people boy and just confirm it at 24 weeks! Thanks.

• I'm sure it happens but, by 18 wks it's usually pretty obvious.  I found out I was having a boy and a girl at 12 wks through CVS testing.  The boy was confirmed at 14 wks but, they said they couldn't tell the girl's gender at that time (had it not been for the CVS) and today at my big u/s, they could 100% tell the sexes through the u/s. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageougrad1:
    I'm sure it happens but, by 18 wks it's usually pretty obvious.  I found out I was having a boy and a girl at 12 wks through CVS testing.  The boy was confirmed at 14 wks but, they said they couldn't tell the girl's gender at that time (had it not been for the CVS) and today at my big u/s, they could 100% tell the sexes through the u/s. 

Congrats on your two LOs! That's so exciting for you. And thanks for the input.

• imagebeccs98:

image0danielle0:
    We were told "boy" at several ultrasounds- 12 weeks, 15 weeks, 18 weeks... Then, at our big ultrasound, the tech showed us the she is 100% "girl" Stick out tongue

And how many weeks were you at your big U/s? 20? That's crazy. Congrats on your girl!

21 weeks. You should have seen our faces. Stick out tongue It took about a day for the shock to wear off. We're incredibly excited!

• I also think that the errors occur mostly when the u/s's are done too early. I had mine at 19w4d and both the tech and my Doctor were sure it was a girl. We also had a very good shot. So HOPEFULLY they are right, because I've already gone completely girly buying stuff for the nursery. Big Smile
  • At our big u/s the tech wasn't completely sure that she was a girl. We ended up going to an u/s place and paying $60 for a gender check. It was totally worth it, and she is in fact a girl! If you're going for a 3D in a few weeks you'll get the confirmation you need :)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We found out DS was a boy at 15 weeks.  They should be able to tell you at 19.  Sometimes the cord can get inbetween their legs and get mistaken for a penis in girls. 
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I don't know if this is true for your doctor's office, but I mentioned to one of the nurses that the u/s didn't sound "sure" when he did out big u/s at 19 weeks......and it turns out that they offer free "sex checks" to confirm. They did it that same day - it took like 5 minutes to confirm that she's definitely a "she."
    Kinley Joy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • kg_08kg_08 member

We had one of DH's coworkers do an ultrasound for us at 16 weeks 4 days which totally looked like a girl, then we had our "real" anatomy scan at 18 weeks 3 days where she was still very obviously confirmed as a girl.

The only way a girl would look like a boy at that point is if the tech was mistaking the cord for a penis.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We were told boy at 16 weeks and girl at 18 weeks. 
  • They told my friend boy and it popped out a girl.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm glad you posted this because my doctor did an u/s this week at almost 15w and was 90% sure it is a boy.  There was skin between the legs and DH's brothers have had all nephews.  We're not running off to the store to buy anything.  We're waiting for that other 10% before buying much of anything. 

• My parents were told I was a boy until I popped out! I'm def. not a boy. :-)

They had only had one U/S mid-way through, though.

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"