Stay at Home Moms
Options

What will your weaning strategy be/or was your strategy?

My plan is to have DS completely weaned by his 1 year old birthday. 

I've recently started giving him the bottle a little bit more this week.  His response---well let's just say some days are better than others.

What will your weaning strategy be?  For those who have already weaned...what was yours?

I plan to slowly give the bottle more and more now and then really wean him over the last final six weeks starting Dec. 1st.

TIA!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Re: What will your weaning strategy be/or was your strategy?

• Options
    We actually started giving Emily a bottle at 4 weeks old, just one a day so DH could participate in the feedings and it was heaven, might I add!  ;) 

He gradually started giving more and more bottles at night and on weekends and she was weaned off the breast by 5 1/2 months old.  She would do both, bottle and breast feed until 9 months old but she could careless which one.

I stopped breastfeeding completely at 9 months old and started her on formula for some personal reasons.  It was very easy for us, we had no real issues nor did she ever protest the bottle, thankfully.

Best of luck!

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• Options
    ours had both bottle and b00b since her 2nd day.  I've been bf as well as pumping so we've both been feeding her since we brought her home.  She decided she wanted to have a little nursing strike a few weeks ago, and now she only wants b00b first thing in the morning and in the middle of the night.  Turns out, she's pretty much weaning herself.  It's earlier than I'd have liked, but eh, as long as she's healthy I can't complain. 

One bonus, the past two weeks she's holding the bottle by herself.  Score! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

You might to try weaning to a cup since he's already 8 months old.  Then you don't have to wean from the bottle as well after his 1st birthday.

I'm hoping that DD will self-wean somewhat.  We're planning to try for another kid when she's about 16/17 months, so she'll need to be done around 18 months.

• Options
    I would not try to replace the breast with a bottle - then you will have a whole other issue after 1, when most pedis want babies off the bottle completely. it could be just as hard to get rid of the bottle as it is to wean.
    i would use a sippy starting now.

once ds started whole milk we dropped to 2-3 sessions a day. i will let him self wean because I am in no rush.
    Once he is 18mos I expect to just be nursing at night, but we will see.
  • Options
    I followed my peds advice both times I weaned. I dropped 1 feeding every other week. It took me about 6 weeks to fully wean. I did it slowly and replaced that feeding with whole milk (weaned at 1 year mark). GL to you!
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options
    My DS actually self weaned a day or two before his 1st birthday.  But, my plan was to introduce whole milk in a sippy only, and offer that with all 3 meals.  I was going to drop a nursing session every week.
  • Options
    I gave DD a straw cup at 6 months, and she could use a sippy cup and straw by 7 months. She has never had a bottle and now can drink out of a regular cup.

I have not weaned yet because DD is allergic to soy and diary, so she can't have any alternative and still get the nutrition she needs because she doesn't eat enough either. Hopefully when she gets enough nutrients from food, she will self wean before she is 2.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"