Birth Stories
Options

Pls share your "good" epidural stories

My first delivery was "au natural" and was very painful, so I'm going with an epidural this time around, but I'm still anxious about delivering again.

I need to get over my anxiety, so please let me how wonderful your epidural deliveries were. 

TIA! 

Re: Pls share your "good" epidural stories

• Options
    My epidural was AMAZING! I literally was having contractions right on top of each other that were really painful, after the epidural I didn't feel the contractions at all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My friend said that as soon as she got her epi, she went from being in a lot of pain to chatting with the nurses about her vacation until she was told to push. Said she didn't feel a thing!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I went from sobbing through contractions to not knowing I was having them.  The epidural was *amazing*.  I was able to sleep for 2 hours while my contractions were 2 minutes apart.  I asked them to turn it off for pushing, and that worked out very well.

For me, it felt a lot like dental anesthesia from the hips down.  I couldn't feel much of anything - totally numb.  I highly suggest it as an excellent method of pain relief.

• Options
    I told my nurse I wanted the epi right away when i was induced.  I asked the dr to place the line for the epi about 2 hrs after I arrived and got the induction started.  Then when I needed it about 3 hrs later he came back and pushed the meds.  It was great becuase my contractions where nothing when I had my line placed so it was not bad at all and when I really needed the meds it look him longer to get there then to put them in.  My nurse did tell me not all dr.'s will do this but he did and i planning on doing it the same for LO #2.
  • Options
    I knew I wanted an epi the day I found out I was pregnant.  I see no harm whatsoever in it and knew I'd have a MUCH more enjoyable and relaxed birth if I wasn't in the worst pain I'd ever feel in my life.  So I got my epi after 40 minutes of "bad" contractions.  Maybe a 7 or 8 out of 10 on the pain scale.  I was dilated to a 3 (barely) and wanted to at least experience SOME contractions.  But after 40 minutes I was ready!  The epi was so easy.  They numbed the area with some small shots that felt like a bee sting (or less) and then I felt a little pressure in my back when the big needle went in.  After that it was smooth sailing.  I was laughing and talking and completely alert until I needed to take a nap which was easy to do.  After about 10 hours I started to be able to move my legs again although I wasn't feeling any contractions or pressure and it freaked me out b/c I didn't WANT to be able to move them b/c that might mean pain was next!  haha  So the epi man came and gave me another bollus in my IV, and then the nurse checked me.  I was fully dilated and his head was right there.  I did a few practice pushes waiting on the doc and even though I couldn't feel the slightest thing, I had him out in 15 minutes.  He came out completely alert and aware and didn't seem "drugged up" in the slightest.  My epi made my L&D so wonderful, I just don't see why people insist on going natural!  haha....but then again, I am a HUGE wuss!!  My entire labor was 12 hours so it didn't slow me down or any of that stuff that epi's are supposed to do that make them "bad".  Go for it girl!  You will love it!  :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I loved the epidural so much that I seriously considered writing the epidural inventor a thank you note when I got home :)
  • Options
    My epidural was amazing.  My water broke at night and not much happened so in the morning they started pitocin.  I didn't get much sleep during the night.  I think I finally asked for the epidural around 5cm.  After I got it I slept for about 90 minutes and then it was time to push.  I could feel the urge to push but no pain.  It was wonderful!
  • Options

I loved the epidural!  Terrible, painful contractions before... was in no pain after I got it!  Truly enjoyed the experience and was very relaxed (felt like myself) after I got it.  Felt enough that I could tell when I was having contractions for pushing too, just no pain.  My biggest fear with #2 is that I won't make it to the hospital in time to get one this time!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"