Nurseries and Baby Gear

Striped walls? Advise?

I would like to paint our nursery with two-tone pink vertical stripes for our baby girl on the way and would appreciate any advice you have on painting stripes:

1. What finish of paint did you use? (one site recommended only using flat paint, but that's not very child-friendly)

2. Did you run into any problems with taping out the stripes? (i.e. at the end, did you end up with partial stripes?)

3 ANy other advice you have on this matter would be greatly appreciated

TIA!
Zoryana Kaitlyn born 4/16/08. 8 lbs 14 oz and 21 inches long Aidan Sean born 5/23/11. 9 lbs 12 oz and 22 inches long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Striped walls? Advise?

• We did sheen stripes in our master bedroom. We painted the whole wall with eggshell paint, taped off the stirpes, and painted every other stripe the same color, but with semi-gloss. PIB.

My tips are:

-measure the walls first and determine how big you want the stripes to be. We made ours 8 inches because it made the last stripe on the wall 7.5. or 7.75 inches (in the corner where it wouldn't get noticed). With that small of a difference, nobody would notice it.

-measure, mark and measure again! We marked the top and the bottom of the wall and used chalk lines to snap a straight line. The chalk is a little messy, but worth it for a straight line. Then I brushed away any excess chalk. Spend a lot of time on the measuring to make sure the lines are straight. It will be worth it in the end.

-After you apply all the painter's tape (on the OUTSIDE edge of each stripe you will paint), "x" off the stripes you do NOT want to paint. It gets confusing if you don't.

-When the tape is all applied, run the edge of your fingernail or a credit card over all the tape edges that will touch paint, so you get a sharp line.

-Wait until the paint is completely dry before removing the painters tape, and use a razor blade at the bottom and top edge to get a sharp, crisp line.

GOOD LUCK! Painting stripes is a lot of work, but they look great.

• Thanks so much!  I will definitely use your advice!  I will be the one measuring and taping, since my DH is a bit less detail oriented when it comes to projects.  I may use a laser level instead of chalk (read this online somewhere) to keep my straight line when taping... we will see!  Thanks again!
    Zoryana Kaitlyn born 4/16/08. 8 lbs 14 oz and 21 inches long Aidan Sean born 5/23/11. 9 lbs 12 oz and 22 inches long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • almost forgot!  your MBR stripes look great!

• You will LOVE it once it is done!  We did ours in 2 tone yellow and it looks so pretty.
    1.  We used flat for the darker yellow and satin for the lighter yellow.  Gave it a pretty contrast

2. I started taping in the farthest corner to avoid partial stripes.  Once you get near a closet or a door, it won't matter

3.  Use a credit card to go over the tape and "seal it" to prevent leaks.  Also, we used tape to make an X on each strip that wan't being painted at the time to avoid a mistake! 
  • thanks als1124!
  • heres the absolute fool proof way of getting perfect stripes.  once you have the stripes taped paint with the original wall coat along the edge of the tape and the wall.  this creates a perfect seal that will not bleed! 

www.transformationinteriors.com

bfp #1 10/15/2009 m/c 11/4/09 10 weeks Lily you are not forgotten
    bfp #2 4/5/2010 CP, m/c 4/12/10 5 weeks Baby Lo
    Diagnosed PCOS 10/10 RX 1500 mg Metformin/day
    bfp#3 4/5/2011 Missed m/c discovered 5/24/2011 (10w 5d) baby Asher stopped growing at 6 weeks
    I know he is playing with his siblings in heaven right now...

rx'd factor II gene mutation 7/11 prescribed 5000 units Heparin daily
    rx'd Sjogren's Disease 8/11

bfp #4 9-6-2012 RAINBOW Baby Ky born 5-9-13
    bfp #5 8-26-14  RAINBOW #2 Due 5-8-2015

baby development
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"