Health & Exercise

Lunchmeat-what's the deal

Okay, so I'm a little confused on the whole lunchmeat issue. Is the reason for avoidance possible listeria contamination and/or the additives and nitrites? Also, is there a difference between packaged lunchmeats and meat that is sliced fresh at the deli? I know some deli-brands make natural, nitrite-free options- would those be safe? And if so, would they need to be heated to kill any potential listeria? TIA!!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Lunchmeat-what's the deal

• high in nitrites!! as well as all preservatives and such.

Most meats from the counters and packaged are the same.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I was wondering the same thing.  For example, is sliced turkey from a brand such as Boar's Head OK?  Or are their products (they say they have no artificial colors, no artificial flavors, no cereals, no fillers, and no by-products) the same as all other deli meats in regard to dangers for pregnant women?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I read a post from the FDA- avoid lunch meats because of the worry of listeria, however, if you heat the lunch meat until it is steaming, then that will eliminate the concern.  Also, you should worry about the nitrates, but if you get a "natural" brand, you shouldn't have to worry about that either.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"