Health & Exercise

Can someone explain white dots on apple after washing w/ boiling water?

So I've heard that you should bathe your fruits and veggies and wash with soap if they're not organic (or either peel)-

I can't tell anymore what's normal anymore- whether an apple I was just about to eat was waxed or not and I don't like the idea of wasjing it with soap, so I thought I'd pour some boiling water on it- what accumulated in the bowl was pretty gross and has convinced me to either buy organic or just really wash all my fruits from now on.

But I was also wondering why there were white dots/streaks on the skin afterwards (the skin also darkened/changed color)- is that the residue of pesticides (when I wiped it, it looks like it came off), or is that just a chemical reaction with the skin? I peeled it thinking it might be pesticides, but would you think it's safe to eat?

Re: Can someone explain white dots on apple after washing w/ boiling water?

• The white is likely wax. It probably melted when you put hot water on it, and then came together in clumps...which would make it more visible. The government food safety website states that companies that put wax on fruit/veg must use a product that meets the FDA food additive regulations for safety. If you want to avoid getting fruit/veg with wax on them, shop at your local farmer's market. Megan Tubman, MS, RD www.freshstartnurtritionstudio.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"