Health & Exercise

Working out in your First Trimest and after.

Hello Ladies,

I am currently pregnant with my second child (6wks) and I've heard that I shouldn't workout but then I've hear that I should work-out as long as you don't get too hot and sweaty. So which one is it?

I've always loved to work out but during my first pregancy I traveled as I wasn't working and I didn't workout. In the second trimester I picked up swimming and prenatal yoga for the rest of my pregnancy. Although I did exercise I gained 55lbs (I lost all of it and then some but it took me 10 months). I would like to avoid gaining more weight then I should. Although, I did eat more then I should during the 1st pregnacy have which is where most of weight came from. I just get so hungry and sick if I don't eat so I don't know what to do there either.

Regardless, for this pregnancy I am going to be home for most of it and I really enjoy working out. pre pregnacy I had a set routine and enjoyed getting out and taking a little break from the baby (14mths) and working on myself for an hour or so, but I'm at a loss and I'm not sure what I can and can't do.  I would like to be sure as I don't want to jeopardize the pregnancy in anyway. How much exercise is good, how often? 

I normally do the elipicycle, weights, spin classes, bodyworks classes, pilates. I normally mix it up daily.   I was going to the gym 4-5 days a week.  I have slowed it down to 2 days a week. Doing a floor mat pilate class (with modifications) and walking on the treadmill but I don't feel that is doing anything.  Please give me any advice you have.

Thank you!

Re: Working out in your First Trimest and after.

• The no exercise thing is OLD NEWS.

If you were exercising before you were pregnant, it is perfectly safe (and beneficial) for you to continue. Just do what your body feels is right and don't over do it.  Keep your heart rate at a safe level.

My doctor wants me to at least walk 5 days a week, but I wasn't doing any sort of intense workout before I got pregnant.  My doctor said that stationary biking was fine. Maybe not as hard as a spin class, but you could still ride. Same thing with the eliptical--just don't don't overdo it.

You're not limited to slow walking on a treadmill.

• Keep working out. 

Before I got pregnant I was running 3-4 miles, three times a week and interval training like walking, weights, etc in between my running days. 

Now, my doctor tells me to keep running, just make sure I dont go over a heart rate of 140.  Which basically means, a slower jog over a brisk run. 

Granted, I took a week off when I found out I was preggers (Im 6 weeks now).  So when I got back to the gym, I was exhausted.  I could barely do the eliptical for 40 minutes.

Just do what your body tells you and listen closely to what it says.  You'll know when to ease off and when to pick up the pace.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • I'm a preggo personal trainer, and yes, you can work out through out your pregnancy. Like another poster said, if you are use to exercise, continue with what you had been doing but listen to your body. Now is not the time to push yourself or train harder. If you get way out of breath or just tired, slow down and adjust to make it easier. Just treat yourself like you would if you were recovering from an illness. The 140 bbm thing is a little outdated too. My heart rate easily goes into the 160s, 180s if i'm really pushing it. I've tried to keep it around a rate that i can still speak a whole sentance at, which for me is around 160.  Remember not to lay on your back for more than 5 minutes after 1st trimester and no heavy lifting up over your head, even if you had in the past. No lifting any weight so heavy that you have to strain to lift it.
    Hope that helps!
  • I am also concerned about this. I lost 50 lbs before I got PG due to diet and exercise. I used to exercise 6 days a week, 4 of them I also did strength training. I am afraid if I stop, I am going to gain massive amounts of weight, which would not be good. However, I have had 2 miscarriages in the past, so I am not sure if I can workout. I was thinking of just walking for 30 minutes on the treadmill...but I have to check with my dr.

Rose

EDD 4/18/09

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"