Preemies
Options

Poll: Formula

If you supplement BM with formula or just exclusively FF...

1.  What are brand are you using now?

2.  If DC was in the NICU, is this the same kind that they used there?

3.  If you switched formulas from that used in the NICU, why did you switch?

4.  Do you anticipate switching to another formula in the next few weeks/months?  If so, why and what are you considering switching to?

TIA!

Re: Poll: Formula

• Options

We use Good Start Supreme w/ iron, DHA and ARA.

We used Similac Neosure in the NICU and 1st month home. Switched b/c of belly issues.

• Options

We start fortifying my BM again tomorrow.

1) Currently nothing, but tomorrow we start NeoSure.

2) In the NICU he was on HMF, Alimentum and EleCare at different times.

3) Becaue the little bugger can't seem to tolerate anything.

4) Tomorrow we start NeoSure and see how it goes.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Started with TPN for a while until I could produce BM then I EP'ed for 18weeks.  But during that time Evan's belly swelled like a tick and we thought it was a milk allergy and put him on Lacto free formula.  Turned out he wasn't lacto intolerant and we moved him back to BM.  Cameron was always on BM until the freezer stash was gone.

1.  After we finnished with the monster BM stash we were on Enfamil Enfacare for preemies then just recently moved to Good Start with iron because it was easier on their stomachs.

2. see previous answer

3. We switched to Good Start because its lighter on the tummy and better for reflux per our pedi.

4.  Hopefully we won't change again.
  • Options
    I pumped while ds was in the hospital and for two weeks after he came home. My milk never came in. I suspect it was a combo of my adrenal insufficiency, hypothyroidism and the fact that he was a preemie. Either way, I never made enough for him to just have bm. In the hospital and once we first came home I fortified with Neosure mixed to 24 cal. After we got him home it made him miserable. He was constipated, had gas and acted like his stomach hurt all the time. We tried lots of formulas before finding Good Start Natural Cultures. It is the greatest stuff ever! Within two weeks he was an entirely new baby - regular, happy, non-gassy. We've been on it ever since. Until he was 6 months old we mixed it to 22 cal concentration but now mix it the regular way.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Campbell was on BM plus enfacare to 24 calories until 5 months.  She was on straight BM until 7 months when we began switching her to formula.  We use the Target brand generic of Enfamil and have had no problems. 
  • Options
    btw, our pedi and her GI doctor say generic is the exact same as namebrand...
  • Options

he was bf for 8 weeks and then gradually switched over to ff (i stretched it out for a few months)

we used neosure, same stuff they used in the nicu, never switched.

Rowen Alexander born 10 weeks early 1/28/07

www.4wquestions.blogspot.com
  • Options

Hi!!  My two have been FF since birth:

1. What are brand are you using now? Similac Advance, but we are going to try Target generic sometime this week.

2. If DC was in the NICU, is this the same kind that they used there?  They were on Similac Neosure in the NICU.  When they first came home we had to mix it for 24 cal.  We stopped this and mixed according to the can around 2mo

3. If you switched formulas from that used in the NICU, why did you switch?  We switched to regular Similac at 4 mo.  Mainly because Neosure is so expensive, only comes in a small can and with two mouths to feed it was really starting to add up.  Plus, it was horrible on DD stomach.  They were gaining weight well and we decided to make the switch at 4mo.  We've tried some of the Enfamil products and they had spit up issues; they would not even drink an ounce of Nestle Good start.  So I'm not optimistic about trying the Target, but it is 1/2 the cost of regular Similac so I figure it is worth a try.

4. Do you anticipate switching to another formula in the next few weeks/months? If so, why and what are you considering switching to?  See above.  If they don't like the Target stuff we'll stick with Similac until 1yr.  Sigh . . .

• Options
    1. enfamil enfacare
    2. yes, samt stuff.
    3. have not switched. seems to be ok...he has gas but i'm not sure if its any worse than a normal baby
    4. maybe...this formula is so expensive and i really want him on bm if we can get my supply up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We add Neosure to my BM. We might switch to see if something else is easier on their tummies.
  • Options
    For those on Neosure, our Pedi GI is allowing us to use milk of magnesia I use 3ml once a day and it works wonders DS no longer cries in pain from a bm. He okayed us to use 5 ml's (tsp) per day but I didn't want to over do it. I simply mix it in to one of his morning bottles and it greta for us.

DS is 81/2 months and 17 lbs. We started this at 7 months 14 lbs
  • Options

I exclusively FF...after long talks with the Pedi decided that the meds I was taking were not compatible with BF.

1.  We use Similac Alimentum.  DC only spent 2 and 1/2 weeks in the NICU, where they were giving him Similac Advanced.

2.  We switched since he was having a lot of pain and vomiting from the formula and acid reflux and zantac along was not taking care of it.  So far so good, looks like we'll stay with the Alimentum.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"