Preemies

Gift advice please

A close friend of mine had her baby 10 weeks early.  I'm not sure of all the details yet, but she had an emergency c-section and the baby is 2lb8oz. 

I would like to put together a gift basket or something for her, but am not completely sure what all to put in there.  I am thinking some preemie clothes, but what else can I put in there for mom and dad?  Thanks!

Re: Gift advice please

• If you go to the next page, there is a post named "Gift/Care Package" with lots of responses to the same question...
  • That sounds really nice. I would include some preemie clothes, especially the button up kimonos at BRU, they worked so good for Nate and allow for wires and IVs and such. You could also include a crib toy or a soft blanket for the baby. For the parents, you could include gift cards for restaurants around the hospital, snacks for their NICU visits, or hand lotion (sanitizing does a number on your skin).
  • Loading the player...
  • I scanned the first page, but I didn't think to look that far back.  That had lots of great ideas.  Thanks!!
  • Another question...  I was thinking about picking up some preemie clothes.  Should I give them to them with the tags on in case they want to exchange them for any reason, or should I just take the tags off and wash them first so they don't have to worry about that?
  • I would keep the tags on...she may not be able to put them on the baby right away (we couldn't put our own clothes on him for 10 days or so) and some preemie clothes run big/small. Just in case, I'd leave the tags on...
  • I posted this on SAL, but not sure if you would see it on the 2nd page..

The most helpful things I can think of are gift cards for food, or take them a few meals. She likely won't be able to wear clothes for a while, even the preemie clothes will probably be too big and my girls were only 6 weeks early and weren't allowed to wear clothes for a long time.. If you want to do a gift basket I'd put in some really good hand cream- your hands get SO dry washing them all the time, maybe some gas cards for the multiple trips to and from the hospital and if there is a parking garage that charges at the hospital, maybe a roll of coins for it. Another thing that is fun/cute for them to do is a little stuffed animal that they can take a picture with weekly to show how much she is growing. Oh, maybe a little disposable camera to keep at the hospital for the nurses to take pic with when they aren't there, or when they accidentally forget their camera..

• Definiitely check out this site for preemie clothes:

www.LittleSproutCollection.com

I bought some clothes from there and they are absolutely beautiful.  Everyone in our NICU is buying clothes from them.  They are made from 100% organic cotton, so NO pesticides and formaldeyde in the fabric and dye.  This is extremely important especially for premature babies.

Best wishes to your friends baby.  It is really sweet of you to send her something beautiful. 

• The best thing you can do from a personal good friend stand point is just talk to them and be a good listener.  My guys were 11wks early and we knew no one else who'd been through this.  Just listening will help.  They have a loooong NICU stay ahead of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"