Preemies
Options

RSV Shots

Hi Ladies,
  This is my first time to this board, I didn't even realize it existed when my little one came along a month early.  Our Pedi's nurse has called and to set up an appointment for my son's RSV shots; she said that since he was born at 35 weeks he needed this shot to make his lungs strong for flu season.  My son even though he was born a month early was over 6 pounds and has had no health problems at all.  He was actually 3 days short of being born at 36 weeks.  Has anyone else on this board with a 35 weeker given this shot to their little one?  MY son is in daycare so I don't know if this makes a difference.

TIA

Re: RSV Shots

• Options
    daycare makes a huge difference and the general consensus is, that if he qualifies, give him the shot!!! it's a helpful thing!
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • Options
    Since it's not a vaccine (it gives the baby antibodies to fight the virus), I don't see a downside if you qualify for it. We are definately getting it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ours was approved thank God b/c i've heard those shots are $1200 a piece. Now we're just waiting on a call from the dr's office. I pray you get it for your little prince!
  • Options
    My baby was 36 or 37 weeks (dates are disagreed on by pedi and ob) and our pedi is trying to get him the shot. He was on the vent for 14 days though. I'm not sure what I'd do in your case but I guess I'd talk to the pedi about your questions and listen to their reasons for it.
  • Options
    My ds is getting the shot again this year and I am so thankful! According to the RSV website, he no longer is in need of it, but I am certainly not going to disagree with the dr!
  • Options
    The shot protects against RSV, not the flu. The shot contains actual antibodies to the RSV virus. DS got them last year and I wish he could get them again this year but he does not qualify. The bill I saw to our insurance was $5,000 for each shot. Daycare is one of the big risk factors they consider. If your son is eligible, I would highly recommend getting the shot.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks Ladies for the advice.  I have a call into my insurance to make sure they will cover it :o)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"