Preemies

NICU time?

My girls will be joining us on Tuesday at 36w3d. While they are closer to term than most twins are - they are very small. Two weeks ago they were weighing in under the 3rd percentile at 3lbs9oz and 3lbs11oz. I understand the weights can be off (both higher or lower). I am expecting some NICU time, but am curious as to how much. Any ideas? We did have the steroid shots at 30 weeks.

Re: NICU time?

• Marino was 3lb, 2oz at birth (32 weeks) and he spent 4 weeks in the NICU. He was only on oxygen and lights for a few days (I had no shots or any clue we would be having him early). He was on room air within 10 days. Most of the time he was in the NICU, we were just waiting for him to feed by mouth 8 times a day...I imagine since you had steriod shots and their lungs should be developed, that you will have the same scenario. Good luck - keep us posted!
  • DS was 3lbs 9oz at 29w 6d, and spent 7 weeks in the NICU. He was on CPAP for about 48 hours and then on a nasal cannula for another 3 days, and then room air. He had a tough time with regulating his body temp, so was in the isolette for a long time, but did well with growing and feeding otherwise. He did take a while to gain weight in the beginning, but is now 10 lbs 4 oz at almost 5 weeks adjusted age! Although your girls' weights might be low for their age, what will help is that they are near full term... which I believe will help with time spent in the NICU. Good luck to you!
  • Loading the player...
  • DS came at 33 weeks, but measured at 30 - he was 3 lb 5 oz.  We had both steroid shots.  He did 24 days in the NICU: about a week under the billirubin lights and then grower/feeder.  It took him a while to take all of his feeds by bottle.  Good luck with your girls!
  • DS was born at 36w1d at 3lb 7oz.  He was in the NICU for 10 days.  I had the steroid shots, too.  He was an iugr baby and admitted for hypoglycemia.  He also had a harder time regulating body temperature for a while.  Mostly, though, he had to gain weight and work on feeding.  Good luck Tuesday!
  • Gunnar was born at 34 and 2/7 and weighed in at 3lbs 13oz.  He also had IUGR, but he was only in the NICU for 11 days for growth and feedings.  We also were waiting on a chromosonal testing that took a week, so they kept him until they got those results also.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Hailey was born at 35 weeks.  I received the steroid shots and was induced due to my PIH and pre-e.  She was also an IUGR baby.  At birth she weighed 3lbs 130z.  She has some jaundice so needed the bili lights for a while, had a canula to help her breathe (but only for a few hours).   She was mainly there as a feeder and grower.  She had some problems regulating her temp too, but did pretty well.  Her NICU stay was 16 days long.  Good luck on Tuesday!! 
  • I don't think it should be too long for your girls, but it's different for everyone! Just be prepared.

alex was admitted for respitory distress, on CPAP for a few hours, nasal canula for a day and then room air for the remaining days. 17 days total. He had jaundice and then just need to grow and eat!

If I were to guess I bet you'd face the same things. Nothing major, just typical preemie stuff.

Good luck on Tuesday! I'll be praying for you and your sweet girls! Please update us as soon as possible!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My boys were born at 36 weeks and 3 days and still spent time in the NICU. Patrick was 5 lbs and Connor was 4lbs 6 oz.   Patrick spent 7 days in the NICU and Connor was there for 12 days.   Patrick was actually with me in the room at first and then they took him down to the NICU after a few hours and Connor went right there because he was under 5 lbs.  They both were really juandice and had some trouble eating at first but they had no major problems.  I had a growth scan the day I delivered and they were off by plus one pound on each of them. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Our DD was born at 35.5 weeks due to IUGR and was 4 lbs 3 oz.  She had a 6 day NICU stay due to jaundice and trouble regulating her blood sugar and body temp (she was just skin and bones).  When she came home, she weighed 3 lbs 15 oz, but did great.  Best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"