Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

"Older mothers" tend to have boys...

DH called me today telling me that he read that "older mothers" tend to have baby boys.  Have you ever heard this?

I had DS at age 32 (I think that is considered a "older mother" but not sure.)  now pregnant with another at 33, and just can not wait to find out the babies gender!

Re: "Older mothers" tend to have boys...

• I guess time will tell. You have 8 more weeks until your big u/s, right?

I am kidding.

Really, I think that's a bunch of hullabaloo. :)

• Huh, really?  My Grandma had a baby at 42, a girl.  My husband's Grandma had a baby at 44, a girl.  My other Grandma had a baby at 37, a girl.  Maybe nowadays older ladies have boys?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I've heard the opposite.

W (02/2009), N (08/2012), and C (04/2014)
  • I had DD when I was 30.  Is that included in the older age category?  :)

• image102503Natalie:

I had DD when I was 30.  Is that included in the older age category?  :)

Oh jeez, if 30 is "older mother," I am really in trouble.

• imagepaula62776:
    Huh, really?  My Grandma had a baby at 42, a girl.  My husband's Grandma had a baby at 44, a girl.  My other Grandma had a baby at 37, a girl.  Maybe nowadays older ladies have boys?

hehe, that's too funny.  Yep, times are a'changing.  I like the sound of this... to be honest, I want a girl so bad.  IRL I've never told anyone this, but it's true.

• imagepaula62776:
    Huh, really?  My Grandma had a baby at 42, a girl.  My husband's Grandma had a baby at 44, a girl.  My other Grandma had a baby at 37, a girl.  Maybe nowadays older ladies have boys?

hehe, that's too funny.  Yep, times are a'changing.  I like the sound of this... to be honest, I want a girl so bad.  IRL I've never told anyone this, but it's true.

• imagepaula62776:

• I have 3 boys and dont think I am old.  I was 18,26,and 28.
    Pregnancy Ticker

DS1 12-31-1999, DS2 5-7-2008, DS3 8-3-2010
  • I'm not much for anecdotal refutations, but.....had DD #1 at 36, DD #2 at 38.  ;)
  • Most of my friends, coworker, and family had their kids in their 30's. And it's pretty evenly split between boys and girls.
  • I thought older women had more girls bc girls are genetically "hardier". More survive to birth in general.
  • image*blondiem*:

I guess time will tell. You have 8 more weeks until your big u/s, right?

I am kidding.

Really, I think that's a bunch of hullabaloo. :)

Oops... not sure why the double-tripple posts keep happening to me today.

I'm actually only 8 weeks along.  =(  My periods are so irregular after having DS, I was sure I was farther along that I am.  Now I need to get around to changing my siggy ticker...  but it's such a pain.

• My aunt had her daughter when she was 40.
  • This is from TCOYF...

"Younger men and women tend to have more male conceptions than older individuals. It's hypothesized that the reason for this is that younger men generally have higher sperm counts and younger women tend to have more copious alkaline-quality cervical fluid -- both of which favor male conceptions." 

W (02/2009), N (08/2012), and C (04/2014)
  • imageshannm:
    image102503Natalie:

I had DD when I was 30.  Is that included in the older age category?  :)

Oh jeez, if 30 is "older mother," I am really in trouble.

Me too!

I have one little girl and expecting a boy and a girl this time around.  I'm older than any of you!

• Er...doesn't biology 101 teach that it's the father who determines the sex?
  • Complete bull.

Women contribute an X chromosome no matter how old they are or young they are.

Men determine sex when either an X or a Y chromosomed sperm meets the egg.

• In the case of genetic issues though, an older woman could contribute a flawed X chromosome, and with a boy, that could produce problems sufficient to trigger miscarriage.

A girl would have an extra X chromosome, and thus, wouldn't suffer X chromosome related disorders.

• I had twin boys at 32. I don't know if that's considered an "older mother" (30+ moms are also more likely to have twins). Is there research that backs this up or someone's observation?
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • I was 37 when I had DD.
  • imageMrs.Hizzo:
    Er...doesn't biology 101 teach that it's the father who determines the sex?

That's the first thing I said to DH!!!  I guess if Google says something, then it's a fact.  hehe

• chinese gender chart agrees with the OP
    aidan kincaid (12.19.06) sawyer grace (7.30.08) 
    reese madeline (5.11.10) miller paige (2.6.12)
    girl #5 due december 2013.

13 galveston1

IG: punkfictionv4

• Eh.  "Advanced Maternal Age" = 35 according to ACOG.  So the "older moms" is irrelevant in your case anyway.

Plus, I call BS on your DH's source.  You will know in 12 weeks.  I call a 50/50 shot.

• My aunt and I were pregnant together last year - I had a boy at 27, she had a girl at 41.
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • KGskyKGsky member
    Uh-uh.

Mom at 39 - Me
    Me at 36 - Girl
    Me at 38 - Boy
    Sister at 43 - Girl
    Aunt at 38 - Girl
  • imageMrslove78:

imageMrs.Hizzo:

That's the first thing I said to DH!!!  I guess if Google says something, then it's a fact.  hehe

True of course, but I have read some interesting stuff about some women being more likely to have boys versus girls--like women who eat more meat, I forget what the other factors were. Mysterious but true.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • imageLoriFalce:

Complete bull.

Women contribute an X chromosome no matter how old they are or young they are.

Men determine sex when either an X or a Y chromosomed sperm meets the egg.

But I guess some Henry the 8th fans/followers/ancestors will never get it.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • My mom had 3 girls at 28, 33 & 38
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I was 37 when I had DS so I fit that standard of both "older mother" and having a boy.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I had ds when I was 37.  But my mom had me at 40 and a friend just had her 3rd girl at 43, so there goes my little stat.
  • imageToledoDeux:
    I'm not much for anecdotal refutations, but.....had DD #1 at 36, DD #2 at 38.  ;)

Then it can't be true!!!!1! 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagemacchiatto:
    imageMrslove78:

imageMrs.Hizzo:

True of course, but I have read some interesting stuff about some women being more likely to have boys versus girls--like women who eat more meat, I forget what the other factors were. Mysterious but true.

Women's nutrition can have an effect, bc the environment created in the vagina and uterus can be more suited to X sperm, or more suited to Y sperm.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"