Birth Stories

My very tough birth story...

I am a February-turned-January mom...I had my beautiful son, Jordan Isaac, on Janary 30. I went into the hospital tuesday night because I wasn't feeling him move very much...its a good thing I did because after he was born, we learned that the reason he wasn't moving much was because in utero, we had a maternal-fetal hemmorage, causing him to get some of my blood into his blood stream. Since infants can't tolerate adult blood, his blood count dropped dangerously low and he wasn't able to take his first breath. After being worked on for a little while, his breathing was very labored...he wasn't really crying he just sounded like a little kitten squeeking. It was so scary for me...you always expect to hear that first loud cry, but I did not hear that. Jordan was diagnosed with acute pulminary hypertension. They transferred him to another hospital that night to a level III NICU. After being there for about a day and a half, they really weren't having much success, so they determined that Jordan needed to be transferred to Children's in Boston, which of course is one of the best children's hospitals in the entire country. He was transferred there on Friday night, and has been there ever since. Since being born, this poor little guy has gone through so much...3 blood transfusions, being hooked up to a ventilator, a spinal tap, several echo cardiograms, needle sticks, drug withdrawl after being taken off narcotics, and the list goes on. Yesterday morning they removed his breathing tube, and I was finally able to hold him for the first time, and my DH was able to as well. Unfortunately last night, his lungs collapsed, so he had to be put back on the ventilator so they can try to get his lungs back in working order. The doctor did say this is fairly common with babies who have pulminary hypertension, and that he had no doubt they could get his lungs back to where they need to be and he would recover from this. I trust these doctors so much!

Today it is snowing in new england....its more of an icy mix, so DH and I have made the very hard decision not to make the drive down (about an hour and a half) so we stay safe. We need to both be in one piece for our little guy.

Good news though is that I am having no problems pumping. My record right now is 8 oz pumped in one pumping session!!! I feel so blessed that I am able to pump, so that I can give Jordan the nutrients he needs. He is not able to eat yet, but they are hopeful they will be able to feed him soon, maybe tomorrow.

We are praying so hard that baby Jordan will be healthy very soon. At this point its not a matter of if, but when. He is our little miracle boy...if we hadn't gone into the hospital that night and gotten him out via c-section, the doctors are unsure if he would have survived.

We're hopeful that our little man will be coming home soon!

Re: My very tough birth story...

• My prayers are with you and your very strong, very brave little man.
  • My prayers and thoughts are with you, your DH and your beautiful little boy. And cograts on the pumping success! Keep up your fabulous attitude, spirit and strength. I wish you the best!
  • Loading the player...
  • Stay strong for your little man and keep us posted. I am sure he will be home soon.
  • I just wanted to tell you that my thoughts are with you, and that Children's in Boston saved both my brother and sister's lives.

My brother was born in 1975 premature and with a hernia.  Then, that was very dangerous, but they operated and saved him.

My sister developed tumors in the late 1990s and they saved her as well.

Children's is never far from my heart, and I donate blood there every chance I get.  I guarantee that there are nurses there that are taking care of little Jordan as if he was one of their own.  You have put him in the most capable hands, and he will be alright, just believe :)

Best of luck in your journey, and what a great story to tell Jordan's prom dates, right?

• A prayer has been said! Let us know when he is finally home!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just read your post and started to cry. I hope things are looking up for you and your son. I send my prayers your way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"