Baby Showers

shower from another country??

Now, I can understand why you'd want a shower.  But really, in your situation it's just not feasible.  You can't expect the traditional first time mom party if you've gone and done something awesomely untraditional like move to Europe.  (which I think is way, way cool)

People in the UK give gifts after a baby is born.  I think to assume that your friends and family should ship stuff to you is extreme.  A virtual baby shower is a massive gift grab and will leave a bad taste in people's mouths.

If your family is coming to see the baby after the baby is born, I am certain they will "shower" you with gifts when they see you.   Virtual showers are highly distasteful, and especially in this circumstance.

Best wishes on your good news!!!

Re: shower from another country??

• I live overseas and wanted to have a shower as well (I didn't have a wedding shower for the same reason) but there is just no way to do it logically for the reasons you mentioned. The british pound is so much stronger than the US dollar that it would be just flat out rude to ask your guests to buy you anything from a UK website. And the same goes with shipping stuff from the US. To ship anything big would be incredibly expensive and honestly, if they're going to ship you small light items doesn't it just make sense to buy them yourself? 

Although I wanted a shower to share my pregnancy with my family I realized that it just wasn't possible. And really if they're just shipping you gifts, how is that sharing in your pregnancy? It's not. They're not getting to share anything with you they're just being asked to spend tons of money unnecessarily on gifts. If they want to send you something they will without the whole shower thing but a virtual shower, to me, is a rude gift grab.

Why don't you plan to have a Sip and See when you're home visiting? This is what we're planning on doing in December when we're back in the US. Then you still get to spend time and share your child with your relatives and friends and have a little party.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"