South Florida Babies
Options

holiday dinners

what they heck do/did you guys do with babies at holiday dinners?

we had rosh hashana tonight at my mom's at 6pm... which is so close to Zoe's bedtime it was a nightmare! we typically start bedtime routine around 6:45 and lights are out by 7:15 at the latest and she's asleep really quickly after that. so tonight i followed my same time schedule, but she was freaking out! couldn't settle down to sleep in the PNP at my mom's cause of all the noise. we ended up having to take her home before dessert because she was hysterically crying! Zoe has not cried in like, 2 months, seriously! she fusses sometimes, but never cries.  my mom and aunt were like "back in our day, we'd just put the babies to bed wherever we were, and then stick them in the carseat and put them back to bed when we got home, no big deal... you moms these days and your 'routines' " 
i'm seriously never wanting to take her to a dinner again  :-(  i guess as she gets older it would get easier, but what did you guys do with your little ones at holiday time?

sorry so long!!

Re: holiday dinners

• Options
    we adjust what times we do things... I do understand that with some Jewish holidays start at sundown, but we'd try as hard as we could to keep things on their schedule.   It is very hard to keep kids on their schedules when you're out and about, but we'd try our hardest.   The girls could never get comfortable when they weren't in their surroundings so if possible we'd do things to work around their times.   If we coudn't work around their schedule-   we'd show up for what we could, but leave before they got too fussy.   

It sucks hearing other people make those comments-  but they need to get over themselves.   THERE IS A REASON THAT ZOE HASN'T CRIED IN TWO MONTHS....  hmmmm... could it have possibly been her schedule!?!?!?!?!?
  • Options

I haven't had to celebrate a holiday yet, but although I have a routine with Ayden. If he's tired, he doesn't care where he is, he'll fall asleep. We were in PR at my cousins "15", I had his play pen at the party, when he got tired, I put him in, and with music and all, he slept for 3 hours.

Unfortunately, not all kids are the same. I think you should let your family know, that Zoe does really well on her routine, and when taken out of it, she just isn't a happy camper. Ask if maybe other celebrations could be changed to earlier times. If not, then you might have to deal with A) not attending, B) Taking Zoe out of her routine.

Good Luck!

Hugs to Miss Zoe...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Don't feel bad, the same thing happened to us at Christmas last year. She started crying and freaking out and it didn't stop until we drove around for a while so she could calm down. She had freaked out a bit at Thanksgiving too. I don't think it's just that her time routine was broken, it's also the atmosphere they get put into. All of a sudden they're surrounded by a bunch of people and everyone's excited, babies feel all that and can get agitated. They don't know it's a holiday, they just know that a bunch of stimulus is coming at them and they don't know how to handle it. As she gets older she'll learn it's ok, but you'll still have some incidents. Each baby has a temperament and some just don't like all that stuff at first. Maia actually cried hysterically at her birthday party when everyone stopped to stare at her and sing "happy birthday". She had been fine the whole time until then and she freaked. She just couldn't handle that much attention we suppose. Just do what you can to comfort her and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm so with you!  The problem with Jewish holidays is that most of them are 2 days.  We tried to stick to Jilly's routine as much as possible, but she couldn't concentrate since there was too much going on. 

Monday night she was up on and off and last night she was a mess that we left really early and we were still up on and off.  She's still asleep now and never sleeps past 7! 

Hopefully by the next holiday, they'll be able to focus more.  On another note, Happy Half Birthday, Zoe!

• Options
    We take Alexis out to dinner a lot and its always past her bedtime.  I never change her routine.  She eats her solids at 6 or 6:30 then bottle at 8 or 8:30.  If we're out to dinner I give her the bottle then take her outside and rock her to sleep and she will fall asleep in her car seat oblivious to her surroundings.  Or if we're at someone's house - same idea my mom has a crib so I put her there but if I'm somewhere else I either put her in her car seat or put her on a bed surrounded by pillows.  I think b/c she's not in her own room and bed she needs help falling asleep so I have to carry her and rock her to fall asleep instead of just putting her down. 
    image image

• Options

Honestly, this is where my handy dandy sound machine comes in handy. Sophia is not "keen" on going to sleep in an unfamiliar environment but since we keep a little portable sound machine in our baby bag it works out 90% of the time whether we are at my parent's or MIL's house. I am all about routines HOWEVER there are times when we have to deviate and Sophia does pretty well going to sleep during those instances. 

However, during Christmas and Thanksgiving and New Years last year Sophia was still very small (6 to 10 weeks depending on the holiday) and see whether we were at my MIL,  my mom's or my BIL's house she went to bed when she was ready for bed. Yeah, she fussed a little at first (she always did before bed at that age) but she eventually went to sleep and stayed asleep.
    Don't take this the wrong way but it will only get harder as she gets older if you do not get her used to certain things now, not the other way around. If she is used to you jumping when she whines or cries or makes a peep than she will only get louder when she gets older and there are other things to whine or cry for. JMHO! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have no specific advise since what works best for us is to go with the flow. Diego has never had a strict schedule and he goes to sleep anywhere as long as he is sleepy. He sleeps with the lights on or off with noise or not..(I got him used to my lifestyle and he seems to do great). I am lucky that I have never had to turn the phone off or anything like that and I am so glad since I love to go out, go to dinner ( he gave us a very good show when he was very little but that was it...lol). I agree with the moms in your family though....lol. I pretty much go with whatever my mom and some of the new stuff of course but I love the way my mom raised me so I am copying her. barbie
  • Options
    oh no...this should be interesting come the holiday season!

we went to a family wedding in august and were only there for about 1 hr, the loud music was too loud for mady and there was no way she was even napping!

gl, im sure as they get older they get better!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"