High-Risk Pregnancy

sorry to bother you ladies - GD questions . . .

I took the 1 hour test on Friday and majorly failed.  I got 181.

I'm going to take the 3 hour, but I don't have much hope in passing.

Questions:
1) What did you get on your 1 hour before failing the 3 hour?
2) How bad is the finger testing every day?
3) How are they monitoring you differently?  More appointments?  More u/s?

I apologize becaue I know you get these kind of questions a lot.  I just feel REALLY upset and wanted to get advise from those with experience in this.

Thanks a BUNCH!!!

Re: sorry to bother you ladies - GD questions . . .

• 1) 180 - and I had OJ that morning and an apple without thinking about it. 3 hr I pass fasting and hours 2&3, but had such a high 1 hour number they are treatiing me for GD.

2) finger testing isn't as bad as I feared. I have a meter that I don't even really feel the prick, and test 4 times a day (fasting, breakfast, lunch, dinner) sometimes more if I feel my sugars are getting low

3) In addition to my regular OB visits I go to a "sweet success program" - if you happen to have Sutter Health, this is the program you'll go to in Livermore.  I went for an initial appt, follow up after 2 weeks, and am now going every 4 weeks.  As it gets closer to my EDD I'll likely have a couple of more ultrasounds to check the growth.  Oh and My weight  is really watched.  I actually lost 8 lbs in the first 2 weeks of the GD diet, and am now supposed to gain 1/2 lb a week

• 1.  I had a 196 on my 1 hour

2.  You end up getting used to the testing...becomes an everyday thing after a while.

3.   Your life changes quite a bit.  Every doctor is different, but you will have more tests, more doctors appointments, and they monitor you pretty closely.  If you look down a few posts, I posted quite a bit of what I have had to change/do over a period of time.

Good luck with your 3 hour.  Don't worry too much as that can cause your blood sugar to rise too.

Married 2007
    DS - 5/2010
    DD - 6-2013
    TTC #3 - Cycle #9

• Loading the player...
  • I got a 180 on the 1 hr.  My doc said not to even bother with the three hr. 

I honestly hate the finger sticking.  It is literally my worst phobia that I have had since childhood.  I manage to suck it up somehow.  I am also now on insulin.  No extra monitoring for me unless something comes up.

• 1) I had a 141 (140 was the cut-off) on my one hour.  Yep...one freakin point!  I ended up failing 2 of the 4 blood draws on the 3-hour test.

2) The finger pricks are not that bad.  Sometimes I have trouble getting enough blood and have to squeeze the crap out of my finger.  I've only been doing it for a little over a week, so I'm still learning.  I can test alternative sites with my meter, so I'm going to start trying that too.

3) Nothing has really changed for me, but I was already getting growth ultrasounds every 3-4 weeks and will start weekly NSTs next week.  This is b/c I am on heart medication, not b/c of the GD.  I don't know what would be different if I just had the GD. 

• Don't apologize, we've all been in your position & the ladies here are great, we don't mind helping!

Questions:
    1) What did you get on your 1 hour before failing the 3 hour? 209......so high I didn't even have to take the 3 hr, just went right to GD
    2) How bad is the finger testing every day? I don't even notice it, maybe I have tough fingers
    3) How are they monitoring you differently?  More appointments?  More u/s? Starting this week (32 wks) I'm doing NST's (non-stress tests) 2x a week until the baby comes.  They want to make sure he is doing good.  I've only had 1 extra u/s to see how big baby is.

For me it's not really been that much of a life change, I just have to watch what I eat & how much as well.  I'm only on a diet plan, no insulin or drugs, and because I have good numbers, the doctor even said not to test every day, but only every other day.  Of course you still can't cheat on those non-testing days, you just find the will & adjust.

GL!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I failed in the 180's.  Failed all three draws on the 3 hour.  The finger testing is getting to be more of a pain then anything else.  It doesn't bother me any more. 

I started weekly appts at 31 weeks.  Now that i am on insulin I have NST's 2 times a week.  Ultra sound at 33 and 38 weeks.  I will get induced between 38-39 weeks.  If I wouldn't have been put on insulin then I think I would be starting once a week NST's  at 35w and an u/s at 38 weeks.  He would have also let me go to term. 

I love desert and that is the only thing that I crave all the time.  I am sick to death of eggs and peanut butter is getting really old.  Other then that my diet had started to fall into line.  I have learned what I can and can not eat and you try not to dwell on it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Hey I wrote on your post on PgAL also

2.Not bad at all. I hardly feel it

3. I get weekly Growth u/s's and BPP. At 36 weeks I start weekly NST test.

I was really upset when I 1st found out so I totally get it. You just have to remember that a lot of the risks associated with having GD are usually when it's not controlled so I know its hard but try not to worry too much.

• 1. I got a 142.  140 was the cutoff at my office.  I then failed 2/4 draws on the three hour.

2. The finger testing isn't that bad.  I test on my second, third and fourth fingers, and switch hands every day, so I try never to test on the same side of my finger more than once every other day.  The part I don't like about it is having to remember to test, and making sure to do it at the right times, etc. Sometimes it's just not convenient, like at work, or if you're out and about.

3. I have to report my numbers to my doctor at each visit, and they review them.  If I start getting consistently high numbers between visits I am supposed to call them.  Starting at 36 weeks I have to start coming in 2x a week for NST's and doctor visit 1x a week.  I think a quick ultrasound will be done once a week starting at 36 weeks as well. 

Love: 8.10.99
    Marriage: 12.18.04
    DD1: 5.19.10
    DD2: 4.11.12
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• 1) What did you get on your 1 hour before failing the 3 hour?  I got a 143, and the cutoff is 140. 
    2) How bad is the finger testing every day?  You get used to it.  I tend to only test on my left hand because I am a righty, but I am trying to do both.  I don't test on my pinky or thumb.  I test 7 times per day, but I know there are girls on here who test 4 times.
    3) How are they monitoring you differently?  More appointments?  More u/s?  I take Glyburide at night to regulate my fasting numbers, so they monitor me more closely than they would someone who was strictly diet controlled.  I go in twice a week, once for an u/s, once for a NST.  It's a pain in the butt, I'm not going to lie. 
  • 1) 200 which meant an automatic GD dx and no 3 hour test needed

2) not bad at all.  I don't mind it. My fingers are never sore and it's not painful to test.

3) I had my first NST today (36 weeks)  and that's all the extra monitoring I'm having.  I will be induced at 39 weeks because of the GD. 

GL on your 3 hour test. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No worries honey!  That's why we're here.  To support each other.  :)

1. I got a 215 (yikes!!!) on my one hour.  I had to do a three hour, but the NP told me afterward that I was automatically GD because of my high reading for the one hour.

2. Finger testing every day is not as bad as you would think.  After the first few times you don't even really feel it.

3. I now have to go to the Dr. once a week, since GD is considered a "high risk" factor.  I had my growth ultrasound this week, and will have another at 36 weeks.  Also, I have weekly NST (first one is on Monday).

For your sake, I hope that you pass the three hour.  :)

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1) What did you get on your 1 hour before failing the 3 hour?

I got a 212 on my one hour so I didn't get to take a 3 hour.

2) How bad is the finger testing every day?

At first it was different and it took me a bit to get used to, but now I'm use to it.

3) How are they monitoring you differently?  More appointments?  More u/s?

I have more appointments and more detailed ultrasounds.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"