Orange County Babies
Options

DS doesn't want anyone to help him but me!

Ok this is getting a little out of hand.  DS is almost 2, and he's getting more and more determined that he doesn't want anyone to take care of him but me!  Whenever anyone else tries to change his diaper, he'll run over to me and hand me the diaper.  He's fuss and fuss if someone else tries, and as soon as he sees me, he stops fussing and just lies there.  Same thing with washing him, or even putting lotion on him, or putting clothes on him.  He can freakishly sense that DH was rubbing lotion on him even if I pretend to be the one doing it, and then say NO to DH and run away.

It's cute at first, but I seriously don't want to be the only one who can handle him without him trying to run away or fuss.

Anyone with any idea how to tackle this one?

Re: DS doesn't want anyone to help him but me!

• Options

How about going away for an extended period of time away from your son?  Have you tried that?

• Options
    I think he will freak out.  He's pretty attached to me, and most of the time when I'm gone, he makes my mom (or whoever babysitting him) go outside to wait for me to come home.....
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    oh I think I see what you're trying to say. He's usually ok when I'm not around, but if he sees me, he doesn't want anyone but me.
  • Options
    That is tough - I can totally see it cute at first too, but you need a break!

I suggest leaving him alone more with DH - maybe do your grocery shopping alone, run errands without him. It might take some time, but I think it will progress each day.
  • Options

I think this is pretty normal.  My daughter prefers me to my husband.  It just has to do with the amount of time we spend with them.  And, we are their Mommies.

I don't think our case is as severe though.  She def lets him bathe her or change her diaper, etc.

It is good that he is OK if you are not around.

I notice that my daughter is much more at ease with my husband when I have been away.  And, we recently went to Hawaii as a family.  7 days straight with her Dad made her much warmer to him.  He could hold her instead of me when she was scared, etc.

I would recommend carving out some Daddy time for him.  He needs the time to spend with his Dad to understand that he is a "go to guy" as well. 

HTH

Michele

Mom to Skylar Kayla and Beck Dylan

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"