D.C. Area Babies
Options

Poll: When did you register?

I'm only 15 weeks, but people (namely MIL) keep asking when I'm registering. Isn't it a little early?? Is there a common registry time?

This question is probably a little dumb, but I'm just curious. I'm starting to feel like I'm not preparing for things when I "should be".
Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Poll: When did you register?

• Options
    Good question! I'll eagerly await the responses as well. I'm just not motivated to do it!

In the meantime, my MIL is basically telling me where to register because Buy Buy Baby is closer to her than BRU...*eye roll*
  • Options
    Lol. We seem to be in the same boat...the idea of going in BRU scares me to death! That place is so overwhelming!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think i registered for #1 around 20 weeks - after my big u/s because we were finding out the sex.  That made it easier to choose anything we wanted in a non-neutral pattern.
  • Options
    at least you KNOW about BRU!
    I had no clue they had stand alone stores until about 2 months ago when i had to go for my sister's shower.

I went to the Toys R us and they had NOTHING! They suggested the BRU STORE in Silver Spring...a whole store wow okay. DH and i walked in...I could have left without a thought...DH, picture a kid walking in to FAO Schwartz just standing there in awe. yeah that was him.

DH found everything we were getting from her registry. He can't wait to register.  I am procrastinating.
    FWIW when we registered for our wedding ALL he wanted was a meat thermomiter. Heaven knows what he will put on a baby registry!
  • Options
    I registered around 22 weeks, a month after we found otu the sex.
  • Options
    I think the main thing is to register before your shower. 
    I started registering early second tri.  I spent a lot of time researching what we would need, asking friends for advice and reading Baby Bargains.  I tinkered with  registry my a lot and didn't finalize it until much later.  I did most of it online.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think we registered somewhere around 20 weeks or so.  It took a couple trips to Buy Buy Baby (I personally dont care for BRU at ALL), then some online editing and consultations with friends (what do I really need). 

I pretty much put it off until my friends started talking about the shower and I then had to get it done!  

Doing the wedding registery was so much easier for me - I knew what I needed for the house - I have zero clue what you really need for a baby!

We had a shower last weekend, and I guess it paid off - we have a nice start on things for the little guy!
  • Options
    I did it around 20ish weeks after our big u/s when we found out the sex.  I went in and filled out the paperwork at BRU and was so overwhelmed that I only actually scanned a couple items.  I then came home and started adding things online and about a week or so later went back to the store and added things that I couldn't find online.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • Options
    i started some things online around 15 weeks, and then added everything else after we found out the sex, at 20 weeks.  that's around when my husband and i went to BBB to do the big things.
  • Options
    we registered  after the big u/s...probably around 19-20 weeks.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I started registering at like 9 weeks :) But that was because people kept telling me which stuff to get, and I didn't want to forget! I didn't finalize it until a few weeks ago, but I definitely started it early!
  • Options

I just registered last week - only b/c I'm having a shower on Oct 11, and my mom was bugging the crap out of me.

I think there will be a lot of movement on the registry between now & then - there are some things I ahven't quite decided on.

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We registered around 22 weeks, after finding out that we were having a boy.  We took my sister with us to BRU since she has a 10 month old and could help us from getting overwhelmed.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I registered in January for an April due date.  I had out of town showers in February and a pushy mother.  I registered at BRU and a few things at target.  I would have loved to register at Buy Buy Baby, but rural northeastern PA has no good stores.  Even BRU was 40+minutes away!  Luckily people can shop online and pick up gift cards if all else fails!

As for preparing for the baby, I was a total procrastinator, so you have plenty of time.  Plus, panic does wonders for you at the end!!

Those of you who know the gender, watch when you register and divulging the gender to everyone.  I noticed with my gender neutral shower, I received all the baby stuff that you need.  My friend who was due 2 months after I was knew she was having a girl and received mostly a whole closet full of clothes. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Also take the Baby Bargains book with you.  Our first trip to BRU was a disaster and made us hyperventilate.  Next trip with the book = much better!!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DH and I went after our big U/S - we registered for gender-neutral items only, even though we knew it's a girl. DH and I registered for the big things that I wanted him involved in picking (bedding, car seat, jogger, etc). I then went back a couple of times w/ a couple of different friends who have kids for the smaller things (bottles, nipples, pump, etc.). I highly recommend going w/ a Mom friend. I also read BABY BARGAINS and knew what I wanted, it is a good idea to bring it with you. (same for furniture shopping).
    Katetza made a great point - everyone knows the gender of the baby and we hardly received anything off our registry, just a bunch of pink 0-3mo clothes (more than she'll ever be able to wear in 3 mos!).
  • Options

You're fine. I'd tell your MIL that you are waiting to find out the gender (if you are finding out). If you want to get her to stop bugging you in a nice way, you could also ask if there is something she is really interested in and then you could research that first. (Actually, there probably is not a Miss Manners way to do that, because that would be saying you are expecting a present from her).

Like a lot of pps, we began registering after the big u/s -around 20 weeks. Shower was around 30 weeks (which is on the early side).

ADVICE - If you start adding things early, but haven't finalized yet, make sure you add a note saying that, so that the early birds don't buy you something that you haven't truly decided on.

Yes, this is from experience - my SIL bought our stroller the night we put it on the registry. We wanted it, but what if we changed our minds? She is also one of those people who usually gets all her Christmas shopping done by August.  She is great, I'm just a little jealous of her organizational skills!.

• Options
    I started picking things out early, when I would gt suggestions from people, see things I didn't want to forget, etc. Then after the "big" u/s, I put on all the gender specific stuff. I did 99% of it online (at BRU) because the store is too overwhelming. I went to the store just to test out the stroller I liked and to pick out our diaper bag.
  • Options
    Oh, after reading jeneralla's post, I should also add, until I was sure I wanted something, I put it on my BRU wishlist, which people didn't look for. Once I decided, I moved it to the registry.
  • Options
    i registered at 21 weeks after we knew the sex.  it just seemed like a good time to do it.  everything looked good and so we went and did it!  we took one day and went to BRU and Target
  • Options
    I think I registered at somewhere around 24 weeks?  DH and I needed something to do one weekend, so we decided to trek up to BRU and do it (we were living in Fredericksburg at the time, so it was a bit of a trip).
  • Options
    OH, I forgot!  I was so excited about everything that I had a "secret" registry for a while, so that I could pick out things I liked and remember what they were.
  • Options
    I started adding a few things around 12 weeks (online), and then went in around 17 weeks and added a lot more.  I still change it around from time to time.  My shower is at 28 weeks.  :)
  • Options
    We registered for everything after we found out the sex, and just about everyone on the planet was bothering us about registering, I probably got asked five times a day if I'd registered yet.  And then nobody bought anything until just before my shower, a little over 2 months later.  In hindsight, it may have been a good thing, because I changed my mind about the carseat and stroller umpteen times during those 2 months, but a couple things - like the bouncy chair - were discontinued during that time, and I didn't know until somebody told me.
    Also, there's a lot of things that you don't "need" to have for an infant.  I was that insane pg woman waddling into BBB to get a Bumbo 2 days before my EDD.  God knows when I thought she was going to actually sit in it?  But I NEEDED that Bumbo!!!
  • Options

I think I registered about a month before my shower, to give people time to browse.

However, I started researching earlier than that - it took me a looong time to make up my mind about things.  Like pp said, registering for baby is way harder/more time consuming than registering for wedding, and more overwhelming.  Or maybe that was just me!

Baby Bargains is an excellent book and a great place to start.  I would beware counting on only one source though.  One mom friend will tell you one thing ("Oh, you can skip XYZ"), then the next mom friend will tell you something totally different ("I couldn't live without XYZ!")  Remember, in the end, you're just guessing, so register for a lot of stuff and you'll find out when baby gets here what you "really" need.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"