D.C. Area Babies

inova alexandria

Our childbirth class at the hospital was cancelled for this weekend, and it's the last saturday class available before my due date :( I'm super bummed, because it included a maternity ward tour at the end, and I've been really looking forward to seeing where everything is going to happen. DH can't do weeknights since he works til 8:30... so can anyone give me the lowdown on this hospital? Would it be worth it to schedule a maternity ward tour on my own without DH (as depressing as that would be)?

I was interested in what types of rooms they are, what their procedures are for admittance, etc... not so much on the labor/relaxation techniques because we have Bradley classes already. But it would have been nice to hear about their use of epidurals, anesthesia, etc.

Thoughts?

Re: inova alexandria

• Oh how aggravating.  I know nothing about this hospital, but I would definitley do the tour and anything else you can without him so you know where to go, etc - but thats just me. 

I am guessing they were able to offer any other options for you guys?  I would ask if you havent already.  GL!

• That's such a bummer. I hope you guys will somehow be able to find a time to do the tour together. Could they do it on the weekend?

I think there are a few ladies on the board that have delivered there (at least I think I remember that from my lurking :-).
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, definitely go on a tour. You will feel much less anxious being able to picture where you will go when it's time. I really liked the tour I took at Inova Alexandria.

I delivered my son there in May and had a really positive experience with the hospital staff. I'll try to answer some of your questions, briefly:

Admittance - You pre-register. Go to the front desk and ask them for a pre-registration form. That way when you arrive in labor all your husband will need to do is show your ID and your insurance card, and you will already be in their system. Definitely do this because when you arrive in labor checking in is the very last thing you want to wait around to do.

Their use of anaesthesia and epidurals - They have great anaesthesiologists, but they are very much open and supportive of trying for a natural unmedicated birth. DH and I also took Bradley classes and were trying for an unmedicated birth. I arrived at 6 cm 100% effaced and from the first nurse I saw in triage they tried to help me go naturally. I was the one that begged for the epidural. They did everything they could to get me to wait it out. Once i decided for sure to get the epi (horrendous back labor bc DS was occiput posterior) they were very supportive and they got me set up ASAP. I was 8 cm when I got the epi and did not notice a thing. The anaesthesiologist was very nice, as was all of the staff.

The hospital - DH and I loved our stay there in recovery after DS was born. All the nurses and staff were so nice, professional, helpful, and caring. You will be in good hands there! Just know that the pull out chair for your DH in the recovery room is very very uncomfortable and it will hurt his back. Bring extra pillows.

• Oh, it's all private rooms. They do have double occupancy rooms but those are only used when they are at capacity and the nurse told me that they haven't put anyone in a double in 10 years. The rooms are rather small, but it's all you need.

Good luck!

• On the tour I went on, they didn't talk about epidurals, anesthesia.  It was more of a here's where you go, these are our policies on visitors, you'll be monitored when you first come in, eventually we'll change around the bed when you are about to deliver.  Interesting and helpful, but I don't know if it is what you are looking for.

Definately pre-register.  But, even if you do that, you'll still have to fill out some papers when you check in (though not too many).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had three trips to L&D there (two were pre-term labor scares, and then one was the actual delivery).

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the tour.

The rooms for L&D are all single rooms, there are also two mini waiting room areas right next to the delivery rooms.  Each room has a bed, love seat thing, TV, etc.   The love seat is extremely uncomfortable according to my DH.  The rooms at the end of the hall are just slightly bigger than the rest of the rooms, but it is slight.  Each room has a bathroom with a shower.

As for epidurals etc, I had a scheduled csection, but during my pre-term labor scares I had a lot of time to talk with the nurses, and it seems that that those sort of decisions are much more of decision with your doctor than with the hospital staff.

The mother and baby rooms are smaller than the L&D rooms and in another section of the hospital.

Not what you asked, but I know several people who delivered there, and about half of us had billing issues with Pediatrix (the contract pediatricians for the hospital).  If you get an extra bill from Pediatrixs, saying that your insurance didn't cover the full costs, call your main insurance company and tell them, and they will usually reimburse you for the extra charge from Pediatrix.

• I loved my experience at Inove Alexandria.

Our tour was pretty short, but worth it, so yeah, just schedule a separate one for you. 

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Thanks everyone :) I'll go on a tour by myself, and I think it will help me be less anxious about the whole thing!

I asked about weekend tours, but they don't do them unless they are part of a class. We have the option of taking a class at another location, but the tour isn't included. I really didn't want to drive out to Fairfax or Fair Oaks... so I think I'll just discuss the epidural/etc stuff with my OB, and hopefully that will be enough :)

Good to hear they are receptive to Bradley/natural classes, since that is our goal :) We'll see if I make it, but at least I know I won't have to fight the hospital staff to make it work!

• We were registered for the same class and elected to take the Tuesday night replacement which doesn't work well, but at least we could make it.  Did you think about going to the class on your own even if DH can't make it? Personally, I'm too Type A not to have at least a tour so that I know what's going on when I finally get there.  I'd be happy to take a list of questions to the class for you and report back if that would help ...
  • I'm a little late on this, but when I was at Alexandria Hospital for pre-term labor checks, they asked me whether or not I plan to have an epidural.  Kind of the flip side, but they entered it into the computer system so they know your wishes.  They also asked about about whether I plan to breast or bottle feed.  My impression was definitely that they ask so they can respect and support your wishes.

My email is down, but when it's back up I'll email you too in case you don't see this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"