D.C. Area Babies
Options

Pumping at work when baby nurses every 2 hours..

I'm trying to figure this out, please help! Typically my baby nurses evry 2-3 hours, or sometimes less than 2 hours during the night. Last night was the first exception to that actually! I go back to work tomorrow night and I'm planning to pump, but there's no way I can pump every 2 hours...should I try for every 3 hours? Or go more by feel? I'm not sure I can manage every 3 hours even, it will just depend how busy we are.  I don't want to mess up my supply!

Re: Pumping at work when baby nurses every 2 hours..

• Options

Just pump as often as you can at work, and try for each 3 hours. It's really hard to fit it in at work. I have been pumping at work for 2 months now and am so proud that DS is still exclusively breastfed.

The best advice I got about it is to stay flexible. If you have a meeting or miss a pumping session at work, don't stress, just try to pump when you can. If you have to cut into your freezer stash to keep up during the week that's ok, and hopefully you can replenish by pumping between or after feedings on the weekend.

It is really hard to pump at work, but so worth it. You can do it!

• Options

you'll really want to pump at LEAST every 3 hours.  I would say try 2 for at least the first few days -- so A) you don't feel like dying and B) so you don't have a drop in production. 

You'll have to make it a priority and make sure thosee around you understand how important it is to you. 

GL!  I did it for OVER a year!!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't know yet from experience (I don't go back until November)...but I got a tip I might try. The LC I talked to suggested pumping once in the morning at home if you can also. That way you can supplement your supply for your baby with milk (pumped at home) in addition to what you pump at work. This might help relieve some of the stress of it. I'm not sure if this will work but it probably can't hurt to try!
  • Options
    i don't know how your commute is, but i used to pump in the car.  kellymom.com has a great tip about using hair bands to hold the flanges on the nursing bra/tank hook and i would set it up when i got in the car, pull my shirt down and drive.  that way i could get in two sessions - morning and afternoon - not at work at one or two at work. 
    do it as much as you can right now just to keep your supply up.  as your boobs get used to it, you can pump more less often.
  • Options
    I pump first thing when I wake up about an hour before S gets up and is fed.  Then I pump at 9, 12 and 3, and I'm home for her next feeding.  So she has 4 bottles during the day but I'm only pumping 3x at work.  I usually stay on schedule by acting like it's a meeting I have to go to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"