D.C. Area Babies

What to take to the hospital?

I am making my packing list.

What were you glad you took?  What did you wish you had taken?  What might I not be thinking of (besides the obvious clothes for me and baby, toiletries, my pillow, etc.)?

The teacher of my childbirth class did mention that we should bring a bathing suit for my H in case I want to get in the shower during labor so he can get in with me.

Re: What to take to the hospital?

• Clothes for me, baby, slippers, robe, hair brush and deoderant are all I used
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I brought body spray, and was very glad I did. And I bought some el-cheapo fruit-of-the-loom underwear that I didn't mind throwing away if necessary, so I could wear that instead of the mesh panties. But I have big hips (and a big butt!). Extra batteries for your camera.
  • Loading the player...
  • clothes and slippers for me

boppy

clothes and hats for baby (more than just coming home outfit)

baby nail file and nail scissors/clippers. DS was born with such long nails and the hospital didn't have a file to give us!

camera, videocamera, notebook to write down your birth story while it's fresh in your mind and to write down your first experiences with baby

laptop so you can send out pics right away! :)

• These are great and so helpful!

I haven't even though about additional clothes for the baby; I guess I just assumed the hospital had something they prefer to put on them the same way patients where gowns.

• the hospital will have shirts for the baby, if you don't want to bring extra clothes.
  • I plan to bring the page from the baby book where you are supposed to put her footprints (and maybe handprints).

I thought thenest's list was pretty good and used it as my guide, we'll see how good it is in a few weeks LOL

• Zach spent all his time in the hospital in the hospital shirt, swaddled in his blanket.  I wouldn't worry about extra baby clothes.

I was happy to have a set of non-hospital PJs and a robe (I was there for 4 days, so it was nice to have something else to wear for visitors); shampoo/conditioner; my own big towel (non-white); nursing tank and maternity gaucho pants to wear home; slippers; my special blanket my mom made for me; boppy; and chapstick
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am glad I took some very loose fitting (around the waist) pants, my maternity tanks and then a loose zip up jacket - I lived in that the whole time. The boppy was handy for everyone else holding her, I probably could have gotten by with pillows.  Then the usual toiletries to make my shower a little more comfy.

I wish I had brought something more comfy to come home in.  I had my maternity jeans and a fitted top.  The jeans actually weren't at all comfortable around my waist (C-section) which was surprising since they were fine while I was pg.  And the fitted top made me look still pregnant - wish I had brought a flowy top.
  • good call above - the only thing i can add is towels.  i swear the hospital towels were 2 x nothing.
  • definitely bring clothes and even receiving blankets for the baby.  yes the hosp will provide them, but you may be taking a ton of pictures and the baby looks so much cuter in a onesie and receiving blanket than in the hosp blanket.  don't forget to ask the nurse to walk you through swaddling!
  • the reason i sent DH home during our hospital stay to get extra clothes for baby besides the coming home outfit is because DS developed a little skin rash and we thought it might be due to the hospital onesies, so we wanted to put him in our pre-washed baby clothes ... and pp is right, it makes for very cute photos :)
  • Your own pillows (for you and DH)
    A blanket (for DH)
    My Brest Friend pillow
    Robe, lounging pants and a nursing tank for you
    Coming home outfit, plus one more for baby
    Tennis balls for massage
    your toiletries
    laptop and camera
    a big towel for your shower (colored)
    snacks (for postpartum) - to have soemthing other than hosp food to eat
  • Glad I had:
    robe, slippers, my own comfy pjs (nursing friendly), nursing bra, my pillow, notebook to write things down, coming home outfit for me and baby, toiletries, hair ties

Didn't need/use:
    any other clothes for myself, undies, Boppy, games, magazines, laptop, hair dryer

Wish I had:
    my own towel!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"