D.C. Area Babies

heres a thought that made me sad

my friend has twin daughters and she is very image insecure. Well it got to the point where she finally had a slap i the face moment about what she says around her daughters when her 3 year old looked in the mirror and asked her if she was fat! AND they would refer to her tennis shoes as her mommy's skinny shoes (b/c she would wear them to the gym where she would tell them she was getting skinny)... she's not as bad anymore but still makes a lot of comments about food...
So bewhere the kids might be 2 or 20 but they are listening and learning... make them feel good for being them!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: heres a thought that made me sad

• That really is sad to see that a 3 year old is already picking up body image issues.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • That is really sad.  It breaks my heart.

You are so right - kids learn their body image and what is valuable to their parents by listening to them. 

I'm excited to have a girl, but I know given my and DH's family history that she may be at risk for eating disorders and weight problems, so I have to be extra careful.  Thanks for the reminder.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • That is too bad.  I am glad your friend realized her daughters are picking up her insecurities and is making a conscious effort to stop.  =)
  • yep.  i wish my mom would've been told that.  i think we were told to suck in before we were in school.  and i am definitely still traumatized.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"