High-Risk Pregnancy

GD & Induction

Hi,

I've noticed in previous posts that some of you ladies already have inductions planned.  What is the reasoning/criteria that your doctor used to make this decision?  What data/evidence do they use?

I think I am more petrified of getting induced and my body not being "ready" to have the baby than anything else in this whole process. 

Thanks! 

Re: GD & Induction

• For me, they want to induce early because of the risks associated with her being higher weight- the smaller she is, the longer I get to go without being induced. However, my dr doesnt want to go past 39 weeks in most of his patients with GD, and specifically in my case because of some calcifications in my placenta already, and said by that point it may not be giving her sufficient nutrients (of course this isnt set in stone- its more of a wait and see type thing)

• OB said it is like the law of diminishing returned after 38-39 weeks.  Risks out weight benefits of induction unless I am hell bent on not needing a c/s.  As pp said GD mom's can have issues with placenta breakdown and or calcification. This was all after I got started on insulin.  Before insulin he would have let me go to 40 weeks.  DS was a preemie and I am contracting regularly for weeks now.  2nd time moms also have a better chance of successful inductions because ours bodies know what to do.  I am not stressed about it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I don't have anything scheduled and am also terrified of being induced.  If I had stayed controlled with diet and exercise I could have gone to 41 weeks.  Now that I'm on oral meds it will be between 39 and 40 (assuming NSTs and growth ultrasound are both good and don't indicate needing something else).

I'm hoping to have things continue on the path they're on now and stay controlled which will give me more power to push the induction off a little.  I will also go to my acupuncturist to get my body moving in the right direction if it looks like induction is going to happen.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I asked my OB about this at my last appointment since LO is measuring two weeks ahead.  She said that she will not induce for a big baby before 39 weeks.  Since I also have some heart issues, she said that if the MFM that I see thinks it is warranted, she will induce at 38 weeks.  Basically, if baby is measuring over 9.5 lbs at 38/39 weeks, we will be planning a c-section :-(  I always hear on the Bump about how inaccurate ultrasounds are at predicting weight, but the equipment at the MFM office is accurate +/- 1 ounce.  Sounds pretty darn accurate to me! 
  • My OB's standard is to not let you go past your due date if you have GD for the reasons listed above (placental breakdown etc).  I also have a double risk of extra big baby. DD was 8lbs14oz without GD and this baby was measuring 7 pounds at 35 weeks. 

I was overdue with DD and we induced with gel which I responded extremely favorably too.  So I requested the same this time around.  My OB has given me 2 days and 2 attempts with the gel before we move on to pitocin.  I'm thrilled with this because I don't think I'll get past the first attempt and it allows me to still labour at home.

• I was induced at 39w5d due to GD... they wouldn't let me go far past 40w due to the GD (diet controlled only)- but LO was measuring 8lbs at 38w5d.

Induction went pretty well.... and was successful... and LO weighed 8lb 12oz!!  Glad I induced when I did!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"