Northern California Babies
Options

I haven't wanted to discuss it...

I haven't wanted to discuss the loss my friend has suffered on my blog because I know she reads it.

She isn't active here so, I thought I'd take a moment to just let it all out as it's so hard to carry this burden in secret.  :(

A friend of mine lost her child, an infant, and saying she is crushed, devastated, angry, blaming herself, is an understatement.  I know several of the ladies here have suffered losses of all kinds here and have probably felt this way so, I'm hoping some of you can help me.

I don't want to go into details because I don't want to upset any of the mothers, mothers-to-be nor any of the TTC on this board, I just want some advice of what I can do to help, if there's anything I can do.

I have reached out to her, offering to be an ear to listen and have brought over two meals this week already, which she has been grateful for but has also said she just isn't ready for any visitors and doesn't want to talk about it. 

I am so sad, I am crying as I write this because I honestly just cannot imagine being in her shoes, I can't fathom the hurt she is feeling, I can't and don't want to pretend to know what she is going through... I am at a loss.  I'm actually feeling a lot of pain over this myself, feeling depressed and scared and worrisome for my own child.  I didn't realize how affected I truly was until I began to write about it and felt my heart ache.

Thank you so very much for anything you can offer, even if it's just a bit of sympathy.

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

Re: I haven't wanted to discuss it...

• Options
    I think you have done all you can do. She'll come to you when she is ready as she knows the offer is there.
  • Options
    Oh my goodness, I am so sorry.

I think that you have done all you can at this point.  She needs to grieve on her own, give her time, she will come around when she is ready.

When my BIL died, my MIL wouldn't talk about it with anyone.  She just wanted to be alone.  We gave her her space and she eventually came around.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    HUGS to you Amanda!! I think you are doing everything and beyond what a great friend would do. Your friend is very lucky to have you as a friend! Your friend will be in my thoughts and prayers today!
  • Options
    :( I'm sorry. Big hugs to your friend and to you, as well. It's terrible. I wish you both strength during this difficult time.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your friend. Lots of hugs and she is in my thoughts and prayers. Just be there for her when she is ready---I know that I have kept telling those around me (not that I lost my child but any loss of a family member hurts all the same) that and knowing that they are there is very comforting.
  • Options

Big huge hugs Amanda.

I think you have done alot so far and she knows you are there. I would just periodically check in on her to make sure she doesn't get really depressed.

She is lucky to have such a good friend.

I'm sure when she is ready to talk about it you will be one of the first ones she calls.

• Options
    Awh, Amanda. Huge hugs to you. She sounds like a very lucky girl to have a great support system and friends. I can't even begin to imagine what she's going through. I think you're doing all you can- be there for her at her pace and treasure each moment you've got with your precious little girl.
  • Options
    Amanda- you can email me if you want to talk.  I haven't experienced any loss of this kind (thank God) but am totally willing to lend an ear for you.

I'm so sorry for her, and for you.  You are a good friend and you should take solace in that. 

H
    The Boy Wonder 8/23/06 & The Famous Baby 6/1/10
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I agree with the pps, I think you have reached out to her and let her know that you are there for her.  When she decides she is ready she will let you know.

Big hugs to you and your friend, I can not imagine how difficult this must be.

• Options
    I can't imagine what she must be going through.  I can't even imagine what it would be like to have a friend going through that!  As the pp's have said, I think you've done what you can for now.  She's lucky to have you as a friend and I'm sure she'll be leaning on you if not now, in the future.  Big hugs to you and my heart just aches for her & her family.  She'll be in my thoughts.
  • Options

Huge huge {{{HUGS}}} Amanda.

I feel that you've done all you can do at this point. I am sure she understands that you are there for her. That said, I believe she will come to when she is ready.

{{{HUGS}}}

• Options
    I am so sorry, I can't imagine what she (and you) are going through.  I think making sure she continually knows you are there for her without any pressure is all that you can do.  Everyone moves through the grief process at a different pace so it's hard to know when she'll be ready to talk.  But making sure that she knows you're willing to help at whatever point that is should be a comfort to her.

And if you need an ear yourself, let me know.  Hang in there and I'll keep you all in my thoughts.
  • Options
    I don't know if this helps but I had friends of mine lose a baby at 2 weeks old. When she did want to go out, it seemed like everywhere we went there was a small child or baby. You couldn't avoid it. So I guess I understand not being ready for visitors and kind of shutting yourself in.

I think just offering yourself and to be there when she asks for you or is ready for help is help enough. Sometimes people need space. Everyone grieves differently. And yeah, it sucks being on the sidelines, wanting to help, not being able to and feeling helpless. Patience is going to pay off.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm so so sorry.  I think you've probably done all you can do - other than to just stay in touch.  Big hugs to both of you.
    Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    ((Huge hugs))  I'm so sorry this happened to your friend and her family.  I agree with the pps.  You're a great friend. You've done all you can for her, and I'm sure she knows you're there for her and how much you care for her.  She probably needs time to grieve, though I'm sure her pain will never go away.  Also, it might be difficult for her to see her friends with their kids right now.  She'll reach out to you when she's ready. 

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    You have been a great friend already.  I agree with pp that she'll come to you when she's ready. 
    Prayers to both of you guys.
  • Options
    Continue to support her in the ways you already are -- meals, calls, etc. that let her know she is cared for in a way that doesn't require anything from you. A loss of that kind -- when life is just beginning -- is so different than other kinds of loss later in life and the force of it affects all of those around. Two dear friends of mine lost their children (one a stillborn and one the day after birth) and it rocked me to my core. I was a wreck throughout my pregnancy, knowing first hand that the worst thing can happen. It made me appreciate my child more. As a friend of someone who experienced the loss, I tried to open up lines of communication. Ask how my friend was doing. Ask about his daughter. Ask what he planned to do when her birthday approached (which was shortly after my son was born). Don't forget her loss. She certainly won't.
  • Options

I think the hardest thing to do is keep putting yourself out there...its scary and hard...not even sure why..

But it is soooo importnat. I know in the trials I have had in my life (that pale in comaprision)when I was finally ready to talk and see people I didnt kjnow how to ask for it and often it *felt* as if people had moved on.

Just keep at it...treading lightly...just putting yourself out there...in the line of fire...Maybe it will be a year or 2...I cant even imagine....

And you can in turn lean on us.

Only other thing I can think of is something for her husband and other immediate family that is her support system. Kepp them strong. Myabe find some support groups for any/all of them

Lots of hugs

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I'm afraid I have nothing more to add to the great advice you already got.  I just wanted to throw another hundred {{{{HUGS}}} your way. 
  • Options
    oh Amanda, I am so sorry! This is such a difficult situation for you and your friend. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Options
    ((((HUGS)))) to you Amanda!  I cannot imagine.  I wish I had more input, but it sounds like you are being an amazing friend and are helping as much as you can. I know it will never feel like enough.... but clearly your heart is there and I am sure your friend knows that.   (((HUGS)))
  • Options
    HUGS!!! Sounds like you are already doing all the right things. Just be there for her!
    imageimage
    107 Read/listened to in 2011: 91 Books/16 Audiobooks
    Read 2012: 33/50
  • Options
    Just reading your post scares me too. It is a scary thing and the closer it is to us, the harder it hits us. I am so sorry for your friends loss, that doesn't even come close to how terrible I feel for her. It is something I wish no parent ever had to go through.

Like the others said, just try to be there for her. She is going to have some very hard times, possibly for a long time, in dealing with this. Give her a lot of latitude and understand that she may not always be the same friend you've known for years. She may pull away, she may become angry, she may become depressed, she may not act like the friend you have known & loved. Hang in there and try to be the best friend to her that you can. Let her know that you aren't going anywhere and you are there to be her friend.

((BigHugs)) to you & your friend (and now I am getting all choked up thinking about how terrible this would be, as the mother or the friend. Just terrible. ((BiggerHugs))
    Life is a roller coaster, enjoy it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lighthouse State Beach, Santa Cruz.

• Options

Amanda.  Gosh.  First of all, so very sorry for your friends loss & for yours as well as I'm sure you knew this child.  I would continue to offer support when she's ready.  Maybe research a grief support group for you to attend & once she's ready you can bring her along.

Because she's not ready for visitors, maybe you could set up a meal delivery appointment.  That way if she wants to open the door when you ring at 2PM, she can.  If she doesn't, then at least she knows you're still there for her.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"